US in the world

kaunitz

. Just an ignorant "Don't f*ck with me." mentality... strange i live here and I don't see that. Too much TV perhaps :roll:

Well then, why don't you go to a bar and look at some guy's girlfriend... And report back here what happens.

:lol:

Like that won't happen in Thailand. You want to make general slurs against huge groups of people how about people suck :roll:

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, since you are in for something new, what are you proposing...?

The cyber world is the perfect place to stop drawing these lines in the sand as I said earlier why not just treat each other as equals despite race creed breed colour or whatever!

Nobody is perfect its not an easy traite to adjust I don't really like the french much and in my very limited experience with them they have nearly always lived up to there stereo types.

What we all could have done me included was not sink to hitlers love child and instead of sinking to his level we could have avoiding posting there and just complained to a mod I mean he is being prejudiced/racist right?

This thread serves no purpose and I wash my hands with it cause frankly its bullshit and its annoued me.

Wow! On the same post you managed to promote tolerance and acceptation, while spiting on the French. :? This sadly, explains why TF (in specific) and the world (in general) is not ready for a lovely plan such as yours.

As for this thread being annoying, life's what you make it. TF forums too...

Mazzy said " Because of xenophobic people like you Fishingdude and Richar1. Plain and simple" wow i never thought i would be called that ! holy crap i have been to over 41 countries and enjoy them even europe :lol: seriious folks lots of good points on this op

Fair enough. I re-read your post and you do make some valid points, although you have a fairly one sided-view of the overall issue.

Afganistan is about Natural Gas IMO .

America had to go to Afghanistan, i believe the US resentment comes from invading Iraq, the OP has a point about lack of planning on this one.

Anyway the only reason ive nothing against Americans is that your women drop their draws so easily for us Englishmen, long may this continue.

YEs it seems there was no planning but the invasion of Irag was planned for years before 9-11. Yes they were waiting for the right excuse and they are doing what they wanted and thats control the area just as they are in Afganistan. Military bases are being built all over Irag and Afganistan so they aren't planning on pulling out soon. Do they care about anything other then that ,well yes Haliburton is making a fortune also. :twisted:

America joined the 2nd World a little late and only joined due to being bombed by the Japs, i believe they helped the British Empire, an Empire based on the outskirts of Europe, who were fighting nations of Europe that had been overthrown by the Germans.

True and not true....

After World War I the American public had no desire to enter another war to end all wars. President Roosevelt listened to the public.

The USA did get involved in the way of arms, munitions, tanks, etc. being shipped to England and Russia. OSS (the predecessor to the CIA) was active in Holland and in France to help organize their resistance groups.

Many American merchant ships used to transport materials to England and Russia were sunk by the German U-Boats.

Planes and pilots were sent to China to help that country in their war against the Japanese.

Hmmm,

Fact is, that Americans are not even able to properly handle a toilet door. This is very annoying for those living in a container building together with 60 other people. How will you be able to fight terrorism once you are already outwitted by a simple toilet door???

Hmmmm.... The toilet doors worked just fine in my 3 years in Iraq. Never a problem keeping them closed. I am sure they were of the same manufacture, unless of course, Austria got the low bid for the NATO mission. That could explain a lot of things.

Besides... Real men don't need a bathroom door, unless of course, if your winkie is embarrassingly small or you were doing something other than making poo. Shaking hands with the unemployed perhaps? :roll:

America joined the 2nd World a little late and only joined due to being bombed by the Japs, i believe they helped the British Empire, an Empire based on the outskirts of Europe, who were fighting nations of Europe that had been overthrown by the Germans.

True and not true....

After World War I the American public had no desire to enter another war to end all wars. President Roosevelt listened to the public.

The USA did get involved in the way of arms, munitions, tanks, etc. being shipped to England and Russia. OSS (the predecessor to the CIA) was active in Holland and in France to help organize their resistance groups.

Many American merchant ships used to transport materials to England and Russia were sunk by the German U-Boats.

Planes and pilots were sent to China to help that country in their war against the Japanese.

No British person thinks they Americans didnt do their bit, youve got to be brave or stupid to fight and die in the conditions the Allies did, but when pr7cks such as Heretic gives it the we big brave Americans saved your ass's he is going to cause resentment, and would getted knocked out if he came to England and spouted such crap off in the pubs where we religously have bar fights.

Besides if we did get beaten by the Germans and Euro nations theyd have came to America next and would have invariably won.

Anyway it started almost 70 yrs ago, most Brits only ever bring the war up to annoy people in European nations, and people of my generation could not and never have given a sh7t about the British empire it was well finished before we were born, just thought i'd break another myth racist anti-white liberals accuse us of.

I think the post was originally talking about USA's position in the world today.

Let me start by saying 4 out of 5 of my best friends are American. Three of my favourite cities are San Francisco, Las Vegas and Washington. And most of my customers are Americans.

So I'm not an America Hater.

But where is America's strength these days? Military? Economic? Political?

I'm afraid right now I'd have to gamble on China for the first two... in an all out conventional weapons war, I think China would beat America. I also think with US's trade deficit and mortgage problems, China is stronger here too.

Politically? I think the Bush years have made it very difficult for America to be taken seriously on the world stage.

Despite being a fan of the country and the people, I think this is a VERY low point for the USA.

Let's hope the next administration can do better...

Yes some people are idiots everywhere, no country is perfect and if you think so your just an Idiot from that country and that doesnt represent your entire country.

Just because one day I met and idiot from Kazakistan doesnt mean they are all idiots, that would be idiotic to think so.

This is the real issue i think

The Japanese proverb "The nail that sticks out gets hammered down"

Tall poppy syndrome (TPS) is a pejorative term used in Australia and New Zealand to describe what is seen as a levelling social attitude. Someone is said to be suffering from tall poppy syndrome when his or her assumption of a higher economic, social or political position attracts criticism, being perceived as presumptuous, attention seeking or without merit.

The term originates from accounts in Aristotle's Politics (Book 5, Chapter 10) and Livy's History of Rome, Book I. Aristotle wrote: "Periander advised Thrasybulus by cutting the tops of the tallest ears of corn, meaning that he must always put out of the way the citizens who overtop the rest." In Livy's account, the tyrannical Roman King, Lucius Tarquinius the Arrogant, received a messenger from his son Sextus asking what he should do next in Gabii, since he had become all-powerful there. Rather than answering the messenger, Tarquinius went into his garden, took a stick, and symbolically swept it across his garden, thus cutting off the heads of the tallest poppies that were growing there. The messenger, tired of waiting for an answer, returned to Gabii and told Sextus what happened, who realised that his father wished him to put to death all the most eminent people of Gabii, which he then did.

This phenomenon is often interpreted by foreign observers as a resentment of others' success. Those who subscribe, however, see themselves as attacking targets which take themselves too seriously or flaunt their success without due humility. Apparent cases of tall poppy syndrome can often be explained as resentment not of success but of snobbery and ; many Australasians have achieved success and wealth without attracting such hostility, such as **** Smith and Stephen Tindall.

In modern Australasia, tall poppy syndrome is frequently invoked as an explanation when a public figure is on the receiving end of negative publicity ? even if such publicity can be seen as a result of that person's own misconduct.

Belief in the strength of this cultural phenomenon, and the degree to which it represents a negative trait, is to some extent influenced by politics. Conservative commentators, particularly city-based ones, often criticise Australians for their alleged desire to punish the successful. Sometimes, tall poppy syndrome is claimed to be linked to the concept of 'The Politics of Envy'. Critics of the tall poppy syndrome sometimes compare Australia unfavourably to the United States in this respect, in the belief that Americans generally appreciate the successful as an example to admire and attempt to emulate, whereas Australians resent success of fellow 'paisans'. Some critics argue that jealousy is a notable factor in tall poppy syndrome among Australians.

Some commentators have argued that tall poppy syndrome may well be a universal phenomenon, accentuated in some cultures. The concepts of janteloven, or "Jante law", in Scandinavia, and A kent yer faither (English: I knew your father) in Scotland, are very similar. Similar phenomena are said to exist in Canada the Netherlands, and the American South. The Japanese proverb "The nail that sticks out gets hammered down" is particularly well known, although this proverbial phrase applies more to conforming to social conventions than to high achievement and the accumulation of wealth.

Some commentators have argued that tall poppy syndrome may well be a universal phenomenon, accentuated in some cultures. The concepts of janteloven, or "Jante law", in Scandinavia, and A kent yer faither (English: I knew your father) in Scotland, are very similar. Similar phenomena are said to exist in Canada the Netherlands, and the American South. The Japanese proverb "The nail that sticks out gets hammered down" is particularly well known, although this proverbial phrase applies more to conforming to social conventions than to high achievement and the accumulation of wealth.

In England we say, "If you put your head above the parapet, expect to get it shot off."

I'd never heard the others - thanks.

Tall poppy syndrome (TPS) is a pejorative term used in Australia and New Zealand to describe what is seen as a levelling social attitude. Someone is said to be suffering from tall poppy syndrome when his or her assumption of a higher economic, social or political position attracts criticism, being perceived as presumptuous, attention seeking or without merit.

I think this is the part that was relevant...

I've been in bar fights before. I can hold my own.

Someone as knowledgable and as articulate as yourself getting down to the level of us uneducated needy Brits, you disappoint me.

The truth is the truth.

If GB didn't need America in the War, why were we being begged to enter the war in the late 1930s by Churchill.

Yes the truth is the truth, and the truth of the truth is Winston Churchill was not Prime Minister of England in the late 1930s, now truth man can you give me some real truth.

Maybe it's just me, but if you guys had it all under control... :wink:

You must dazzle the Thai women with your Yehaaaa I'm an American, dont panic ive saved the world twice and will do again delusions. Christ knows what youre like after the 4 bottles of beer that gets the average Yank yapping his little mouth off.

PS Who won the war in Vietnam o' powerful one?

Heretic man; read some history and I dont mean the rose tinted **** you spout on here.

History and all the wars it contains are about countries coming to the aid of allies or joining together to, as PiAnt so rightly put it, face a common threat.

Remember the French?? Those 'cheese eating surrender monleys' who you hate so much that you changed the name of french fries, culinary arrogance at its best from the worlds most arrogant obese nation.

Well, if the French hadnt come to your aid. you would still be a feckin colony mate.Without them you would not have won independence, just as without the US, the outcome of the WWII may have been different.

Might not have been such a bad thing too; perhaps the world would be a safer place if you were still just the yokels across the pond...

:twisted:

I

Vietnam. Ah, Vietnam. Another disaster created by European colonialism. Thank you guys for that. Actually that was the French who fooled us into that nationalist trap. :

ah those bloody french again eh??

I do apologise. I sometimes forget the great debt the world owes the USA. I will henceforth doff my cap and touch my forelock every time your great nation is mentioned...

Yes the truth is the truth, and the truth of the truth is Winston Churchill was not Prime Minister of England in the late 1930s, now truth man can you give me some real truth.

True.... Neville Chamberlain was.... He signed the non-aggression pact with Hitler along with Stalin. A lot of good it did, huh? He was forced to resign in 1940 bringing in Churchill. The USA was well involved in the war by then by suppling the UK and Russia with munitions, planes and whatever. Beat the uneducated down all you want... your choice. Your PM led you into that war. Your subsequent PM helped you win that war... With a little help from the guys that kicked you out of America :lol:

Bush was on telly earlier pretending he was upset that some people who died a few years ago in the WTC.

Some people? Two thousand nine hundred and seventy five... 2,975, in case your can't read. When's the last time you lost that many people in one attack in England? During the bombings by the Germans in WWII?

"There have been no terrorist attacks in US for 2550 days" or something similar "We have taken the fight abroad!" He announced to rapturous, seal-like applause from the sycophants.

Now, THAT'S why the rest of the world loves America.

Actually he was at the Pentagon and was speaking about the lives lost there and on the plane that was flown into the Pentagon.

Would you consider it "seal-like" applause if the plane had been flown into one of your institutions? C'mon... This is a day of respect. Why do you demean this day? I could be rude and say some offensive words to you but I am above that.

Remember the day that changed the world and respect the innocents that died.

never seen a battle of the mods before.

Its like Godzilla Vs King Kong

Dont think PiAnt was demeaning 9/11 Som Tam. None of us would - but u have to admit that Bush has used it for his own ends. An excuse to erode civil liberties and to get rid of enemies who had feck all to do with it.

I dont think anyone can bellitle the loss of life, or the amazing efforts by the rescue services. But I do think there are still many unanswered questions and I think every relative of those 2975 deserve those answers

Remember the day that changed the world and respect the innocents that died.

Humm... last time I checked the US still weren't "the world". Sorry to disapoint you, but 9/11 changed very little things for Canada, Thailand or many other countries for that matter (if only a few more mandatory restriction at the customs to make our neighboor happy).

Note to self, the US does not equal the world.

Heretic, others made my point clearly enough. I have nothing to add. Contrarily to what you seem to think, it is actually possible to disagree on something and turn it into an interesting constructive debate, without it deteriorating in a bar fight. But why do I have the feeling that this is way beyond your head....

True.... Neville Chamberlain was.... He signed the non-aggression pact with Hitler along with Stalin. A lot of good it did, huh? He was forced to resign in 1940 bringing in Churchill. The USA was well involved in the war by then by suppling the UK and Russia with munitions, planes and whatever. Beat the uneducated down all you want... your choice. Your PM led you into that war. Your subsequent PM helped you win that war... With a little help from the guys that kicked you out of America :lol:

I was being facisous towards Hectic, everything youve wrote in your previous post is pretty much accepted as fact, Hectics statements are pretty much accepted as fcuken brainless.

Anyway youve Septics fancy coming over again and liberating us from the fascists of the European Union as it only took the germans and Frogs 60 years since WW2 to conquer US, its about the only time youve tasted victory in a war on European soil, may as well give it another try.

I am English and to a lesser extent British i am not nor ever will be a European my Septic buddy. You claim to have come to England before if you werent so pig ignorant you would know this.

Anyway ive thought about another war where Americans sent finance and munitions across the Atlantic, it was the one the British had with the communist IRA, and Americans supplied some finance for the bombs and bullets that maimed and murdered 1000s of innocent British men women and children, aswell as a few of their own. I believe many Americans viewed the communist IRA as freedom fighters though i stand to be corrected on this one.

I am English and to a lesser extent British i am not nor ever will be a European my Septic buddy. You claim to have come to England before if you werent so pig ignorant you would know this.

Anyway ive thought about another war where Americans sent finance and munitions across the Atlantic, it was the one the British had with the communist IRA, and Americans supplied some finance for the bombs and bullets that maimed and murdered 1000s of innocent British men women and children, aswell as a few of their own. I believe many Americans viewed the communist IRA as freedom fighters though i stand to be corrected on this one.

I more want to question the communist tag...