Santika New Year Party Tragedy

vbroker

I'm not sure if you're Thai, Teerak, but it's up to ALL Thais (esp. the few educated there) to get their act together as a community. To throw up your hands and/or cover your face saying, "I wish things will be different, but it doesn't seem to happen that soon" is pathetic. You're all saying in effect, "Oh poor Thailand and all of its mostly solvable problems, but there's nothing I can do" is a sad, often used, poor excuse there. It's easy to point fingers, shake your head, sigh and ultimately, do nothing. That's why those in power there know they can do nothing, continue the status quo (make no changes) and KEEP power. They know they won't be held to account.

There IS something you and everyone there can do. Refuse to accept your country will remain mired in the Third World as more than half its population is uneducated . Demand your political leaders tackle the universal education problem OR find new leaders who will. If you (meaning Thais) continue the present course, namely do nothing and accept things as they are what makes you think ANYTHING will ever change?

Oh dear, I'm Thai. and I'm quite certain I've done everything you mention above and every other possibilities of things I can to make things better for my country. Truth is, it would need hundreds, thousands and millions of me to make a difference. And I'm sure a lot of generations before me also want to see corruption die off from Thailand. But the problem rooted in deep enough that it will take a lifetime or two to change it. It's not just one single problem to solve everything. There are far more problems than you think and they are all related. While I'm not planning be a politician or a troop leader against the unfair justice, this Zantika incident truly shakes everyone of us to think and see how injustice our country is.

Honestly, without self-experience, many Thai would never understand how injustice effect their lives. They would learn the hard way to see how one can be effected by corrupted people. I hope others would care enough and take this incident to considerations when they find some ways to change the system, wisely choose who they vote for and always feel strongly about what's right and wrong thing to do.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Court merges Santika fire cases into one By The Nation March 30, 2010

The Criminal Court yesterday merged three cases relating to the Santika Pub fire into one, to speed up the litigation process. The merging request came from public prosecutors for the plaintiff, and all defendants had no objection.

Currently, the plaintiff and coplaintiffs plan to bring 243 people to the witness stand while seven defendants in the case also offer to provide a large number of witnesses.

The next hearing session will take place on April 8.

The case relates to a fire which raged through the upscale Santika Pub in Bangkok during a countdown party to celebrate New Year 2009. The incident killed 66 people and injured many others. Relatives of some victims have become coplaintiffs in the case.

The seven defendants are Thawatchai Srithumma, the pub's director of operations, Pongthep Jinda, the pub's entertainment manager, Wuttipong Wailikree, the pub's marketing manager, Wisuk Setsawat, the pub's executive, Burn lead singer Sarawut Ariya, who allegedly lit a firework during the party, Focus Light Sound System, which arranged specialeffects for the party and the company's executive Boonchu Laosinart.

The defendants are facing charges of recklessness that led to death, serious injuries and property damage. Some were also charged with illegally allowing people younger than 20 into the pub. The defendants have denied any wrongdoing.