Santika New Year Party Tragedy

vbroker

I'm hearing 60 dead so far. One of the largest clubs in BKK and only one exit? Now that I think about it, Bed Club also has only one main exit if memory serves. Please correct me if mistaken.

My friend here in San Francisco owns a large club and is having a New Year bash as well in a few hours. He tells me this event will affect him as well since the local firemen here will now likely be visiting his club mid party in a "reactionary" posture. News travels very, very quickly in the internet age.

Prayers go out to all affected. I hope no one here is among the dead or injured.

Helluva way to start the New Year.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hearing 60 dead so far. One of the largest clubs in BKK and only one exit? Now that I think about it, Bed Club also has only one main exit if memory serves. Please correct me if mistaken.

My friend here in San Francisco owns a large club and is having a New Year bash as well in a few hours. He tells me this event will affect him as well since the local firemen here will now likely be visiting his club mid party in a "reactionary" posture. News travels very, very quickly in the internet age.

Prayers go out to all affected. I hope no one here is among the dead or injured.

Helluva way to start the New Year.

No, there are 4 exits. The main door at the front, 2 doors at side and back door but most of people know only the front door. (From what I read )

"Good Bye Santika" party ???

Santika Pub ¡ÇèÒ 5 »Õ·Õèà»ç¹Ë¹Öè§ã¹µÓ¹Ò¹¼ÙéºØ¡àºÔ¡¸ØáԨºÑ¹à·Ô§¢¹Ò´ãË­èÂèÒ¹àáÃÑÂ

ã¹Çѹ·Õè 31 ¸.¤.2551 Ê觷éÒ»Õà¡èÒ¹Õé¨Ãà»ç¹ÇѹÊØ´·éÒ·ÕèΌæÃéÒ¹ Santika ¨Ãä´éà¢éÒÃÒÃèÇÃʹء¡Ñ¹ã¹ Concert ڢç Joey Boy áÅà Badboy Party

Had been opened more than 5 years, one of the first, the biggest and a legendary club in Ekkamai area. Supposedly to be the last day to the celebrate new year eve and the closing of the club with Joeyboy concert and badboy party.

ËÅѧ¨Ò¡¹Ñé¹¼Ùé·Õè½Ò¡àËÅéÒäÇé¡Ñº·Ò§ÃéÒ¹áÅéÇÂѧäÃèä´éàºÔ¡Ãá ÊÒÃÒö¹ÓºÑµÃ½Ò¡àËÅéÒä»ãªéä´é·ÕèÃéÒ¹ hobb - RCA

·Ò§¼ÙéºÃÔËÒÃä´éãËéÊÑÃÀÒɳìÀÒÂ㹧ҹ¶Ö§ÊÒà˵ØãË­è¢Ã§¡ÒûԴÃéҹ㹤ÃÑ駹ÕéÇèÒ·Ò§à¨éҢç·Õè´Ô¹ä´éÃÕ¡ÒáàÅÔ¡ÊÑ­­ÒàªèÒ·Õè«Öè§ËÒ¡ÃÕÕ¡ÒÃà»Ô´ÃéÒ¹ãËÃèã¹Ã¹Ò¤µ

pic_B.jpg

Here is the video promo before the event...

Santika, Ekkamai. some ideas how it look like inside...

How it went down...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7806722.stm

After the fire..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7806658.stm

When Bed Club first open and i was there all i could think off how the hell do i get out from this thing if there is a fire. No windows nothing now there is exit behind the DJ as well.

Santika i guess had more then one exit but as we all know rules are made to be broken and doors are ment to be locked. So i guess the fact that most people tried to get out the front door means people could not get out on the side.

Santika i guess had more then one exit but as we all know rules are made to be broken and doors are ment to be locked. So i guess the fact that most people tried to get out the front door means people could not get out on the side.

on the news says it has 4 exits ka

but I guess people know just at the front door and tried to get out that way

When Bed Club first open and i was there all i could think off how the hell do i get out from this thing if there is a fire. No windows nothing now there is exit behind the DJ as well.

Hopefully some good will come from this tragic incident with the BMA enforcing new standards for public venues with criminal sanctions for owners and operators who do not comply. Without being too cynical, the fact that this occured in a 'Hi-So' club may actually lead to some change - one would hope so at least.

Having exits, few or copious, is one thing. But how many clubs and venues have well lit, cleared exits with the required exit signs which glow in the event of a fire. How many have adequate sprinkler systems, fire extinguishers and staff trained on an evacuation plan in the event of an emergency.

I imagine that it is hard enough evacuating panicked people from public venues in daylight let alone those under the influence in a crowded, dark club.

Prays and wishes to all those families and friends who lost loved ones.

The normal Thai way is a crack down on all night clubs for 1 week and the normal phase kick in.

Like ban fireworks or something.

I hope just like you they have a serious check on all clubs and no money in the world can help them. Just close the unsafe once. But there was a club in Pattaya a few years ago same problem nothing happen since then.

During my first year here I was taken on a tour of several office buildings on Silom Road by an Australian fire and building safety expert.

They were all fire traps.

And the one place in Bangkok he said he would never let his wife and children enter because the potential for disaster was so high was ...

MBK.

unfortunately, it is also the 'Thai way' that no-one wants to be blamed for anything or take any responsibility. No change will occur unless someone makes money or gains power from the change. This issue will, predictably as usual, get passed around until it fades away and everyone goes back to same ways again. Sad.

pee marc that not true if you poor you always get blamed. I saw one guy last week some guy try to steal a tire from a truck. When the truck left the rest stop the tire went loose because of the thief. He was a arrested for manslaughter not an accident amazing.

Anyway you right i am sure nobody is to blame and life moves on and until next time. But i am sure tourist will have a really warped feeling about Thailand 2009 so much have happen this last year.

After looking at the video

i do not know whats most disturbing the people been injured or the fact that this guy is in there face.

During my first year here I was taken on a tour of several office buildings on Silom Road by an Australian fire and building safety expert.

They were all fire traps.

And the one place in Bangkok he said he would never let his wife and children enter because the potential for disaster was so high was ...

MBK.

yeah you would most likely die from stampede...or the buildings would just collapse.

"Good Bye Santika" party ???

Santika Pub ¡ÇèÒ 5 »Õ·Õèà»ç¹Ë¹Öè§ã¹µÓ¹Ò¹¼ÙéºØ¡àºÔ¡¸ØáԨºÑ¹à·Ô§¢¹Ò´ãË­èÂèÒ¹àáÃÑÂ

ã¹Çѹ·Õè 31 ¸.¤.2551 Ê觷éÒ»Õà¡èÒ¹Õé¨Ãà»ç¹ÇѹÊØ´·éÒ·ÕèΌæÃéÒ¹ Santika ¨Ãä´éà¢éÒÃÒÃèÇÃʹء¡Ñ¹ã¹ Concert ڢç Joey Boy áÅà Badboy Party

Had been opened more than 5 years, one of the first, the biggest and a legendary club in Ekkamai area. Supposedly to be the last day to the celebrate new year eve and the closing of the club with Joeyboy concert and badboy party.

ËÅѧ¨Ò¡¹Ñé¹¼Ùé·Õè½Ò¡àËÅéÒäÇé¡Ñº·Ò§ÃéÒ¹áÅéÇÂѧäÃèä´éàºÔ¡Ãá ÊÒÃÒö¹ÓºÑµÃ½Ò¡àËÅéÒä»ãªéä´é·ÕèÃéÒ¹ hobb - RCA

·Ò§¼ÙéºÃÔËÒÃä´éãËéÊÑÃÀÒɳìÀÒÂ㹧ҹ¶Ö§ÊÒà˵ØãË­è¢Ã§¡ÒûԴÃéҹ㹤ÃÑ駹ÕéÇèÒ·Ò§à¨éҢç·Õè´Ô¹ä´éÃÕ¡ÒáàÅÔ¡ÊÑ­­ÒàªèÒ·Õè«Öè§ËÒ¡ÃÕÕ¡ÒÃà»Ô´ÃéÒ¹ãËÃèã¹Ã¹Ò¤µ

pic_B.jpg

Here is the video promo before the event...

Santika, Ekkamai. some ideas how it look like inside...

How it went down...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7806722.stm

After the fire..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7806658.stm

¢Ãâ·É¹à ÃÂèÒËÒÇèÒÃçâÅ¡ã¹á§èÃéÒÂ...ÃÕã¤ÃÇҧἹäÇéáÅéÇËÃ×Ãà»ÅèÒÇèÒµéç·ÓẺ¹Õé...à¾ÃÒôÙÃѹ»ÃèǺàËÃÃ’Ãà¡Ô¹ä»...

I still saw Joey Boy performing at Central World just after the midnight fireworks... was that before or after the fire then? With all the people and roads closed down plus the traffic, its amazing that he was able to juggle between two places.

Joey was scheduled to perform at Santika at 1 am after finish the gig at Central world countdown... the "accident" happened before he got there... Lucky b*ast*rd !

My friends and I wanted to go to a club after seeing fireworks from a Central World restaurant on the top floor. We stopped at some low-life club on Soi 11 inside a parking garage, they wouldn't even let me take a quick look inside without paying, so I said all the nice clubs let me do same, then we will go to a nice club, bye bye.

I mentioned Soi 63 and all the clubs there, but that I would not go to Santika because they are so picky about shoes. I have a nice new pair of black leather open toed footwear. At Novotel club CM2 they had a simple option, I buy a pair of black socks from them and all is well, but not good enough for Santika.

Lucky for my friends and I that Santika is soooo picky about footwear.

We decided to sit down at a sidewalk hot-pot restaurant instead of a club and awhile into the meal I counted over 14 emergency vehicles go by, now I know where they were going.

Best wishes and quick recovery to survivors and my condolences to families.

Also, party name "Goodbye Santika" I think the insurance fraud investigators would be all over that one in amerika, don't know about here.

I mentioned Soi 63 and all the clubs there, but that I would not go to Santika because they are so picky about shoes. I have a nice new pair of black leather open toed footwear. At Novotel club CM2 they had a simple option, I buy a pair of black socks from them and all is well, but not good enough for Santika.

Unless you are Brad Pitt or Robert Pattinson lookalike, wearing black socks with your Croc or rubber trekking slippers or open toe slippers is super ghetto! How could this not be in people common sense that if they plan to go partying in nice nightclubs, you dress at least decent! Do not dress like nana punters or kaosarn road backpackers, period.! Trying to bend the game they play, simply don't go, stay home or suggested beer bars.

Sorry, off the topic here.

Unless you are Brad Pitt or Robert Pattinson lookalike, wearing black socks with your Croc or rubber trekking slippers or open toe slippers is super ghetto! How could this not be in people common sense that if they plan to go partying in nice nightclubs, you dress at least decent! Do not dress like nana punters or kaosarn road backpackers, period.! Trying to bend the game they play, simply don't go, stay home or suggested beer bars.

agree. Ive never quite understood the 'socks and sandles brigade' either. And i never understand the whole backpacker 'look' (complete with ever-so-obvious stupid bum bag). Ok. Back to topic :lol:

agree. Ive never quite understood the 'socks and sandles brigade' either. And i never understand the whole backpacker 'look' (complete with ever-so-obvious stupid bum bag). Ok. Back to topic :lol:

I guess its not only his shoes but also his clothes to make him get banned . I think there were some guys wearing slippers but they wore long pants and they were allowed to go in nightclubs

This is horrible. I only now learned about tragedy at Santika. It is so popular place, I do like Santika a lot too and I know there are people here too whose favorite place it is.

And when I think about it, I would have no idea about any other exists at that place either. I have no recollection about any signs for fire exists either.

tear.jpg