mac help

sabai_jay

hi there,

bought a new desktop mac earlier this year in aus, and the other day a pink vertical line suddenly appeard on the screen, anyone know what this could be?

can anyone recommend a mac dealer i can take it to? and what chances i would have getting it repaired under warranty even though it was not bought here?

i bought blutooth mouse+keyboard, and after about 4 months had problems with them dropping off (not batts either). anyone else had this prob?

cheers

sj

hi there,

bought a new desktop mac earlier this year in aus, and the other day a pink vertical line suddenly appeard on the screen, anyone know what this could be?

can anyone recommend a mac dealer i can take it to? and what chances i would have getting it repaired under warranty even though it was not bought here?

i bought blutooth mouse+keyboard, and after about 4 months had problems with them dropping off (not batts either). anyone else had this prob?

cheers

sj

Take it to any mac dealership in Bangkok, Central World, Panthip Plaza, Siam Paragon and so on.

It sounds like its a monitor problem, rather than software, might take a while to fix!

Not too keen on those wireless mice and keyboards either, dumped mine.

I could not pass on this one guys:

They sell baseball bats at Tesco lotus.

:P

OK i got one, but promise me you will stay still ok?

Not sure what you just said but I have a couple too, darth vader.

I think Beej knows what he is talking about though, when it comes to MACs, he's had his share of headaches from them already. :P

Not sure what you just said but I have a couple too, darth vader.

I think Beej knows what he is talking about though, when it comes to MACs, he's had his share of headaches from them already. :P

...... not nearly as many as I've had with PCs Mike :wink:

hi there,

cheers

sj

Take it to any mac dealership in Bangkok, Central World, Panthip Plaza, Siam Paragon and so on.

It sounds like its a monitor problem, rather than software, might take a while to fix!

Not too keen on those wireless mice and keyboards either, dumped mine.

the problem is either the monitor or the video card IMO. deffo not a software problem.

warranty/applecare work worldwide no matter where you buy the computer or the applecare. the world will be somewhat slow if parts are necessary as they have to send out for them.

generally, however, be aware that percussive maintenance voids the warranty. thus i strongly advise you refrain from Dr Mike's preferred mode of repair (with a baseball bat). as i understand it Mike is an MD not a PhD in computer science, which may explain why his preferred approach to mainenance is so divergent from conventional wisdom endorsed by IT professionals.

If your box has a video output, try hooking it up to an external monitor. If the line persists, it's the video card. If the line vanishes, then it's the screen. Should be easy to diagnose... :wink: I agree with everyone else. It doesn't sound like a driver problem (they usually affect the whole screen.)

good point, if it's a mac pro and has an external monitor. try another monitor. if it's an imac though you might as well take it in as you can' separate the monitor from the box so let appun worry about which one it is.

no violence please... I luvvvvv mac :wink:

Who said anything about the mac? :twisted:

So you want to hit me with the Bat? I'll just take it from you squirt and I'll have three bats.

Then I can smash more MACS. :P

well if you're going to have violence just make sure no baseball breaks out.

See, a real comedian, someone that actually knows how to tell a joke. :)

I love it, "baseball breaks out", it's like slow motion "sports", same as golf.

Nothing beats a good football, or hockey game.

like anyone can get out of the torpor baseball induces to raise themselves to a mental state capable of sustaining violence... take a cricket bat instead

right an even slower game. that way the cricket match that breaks out is sure to induce more violence, if only out of boredom....

like anyone can get out of the torpor baseball induces to raise themselves to a mental state capable of sustaining violence... take a cricket bat instead

But then we could only smash crickets.

But then we could only smash crickets.

Swing Away Merrill, Swing away

Sounds like that movie with Mel Gibson, M. Night Shagaman or something to that effect. Funny :)

macs are better than PCs.

hardware wise, there isn't much difference, tbh.

Z is completely right.

MAC still has some Motorola hardware and routines built in, even though they use Intel now, just a few years ago there were so many ads from APPLE talking about how much faster it was than an Intel processor, now they use them too.

It's all a matter of taste, and frankly, I build my own toys. Nothing can touch them as far as speed and reliability. Additionally yes, I use Windows vista Ultimate, but especially and extremely modified in ways a contortionist would dare to attempt. Many of my Hollywood friends use MACs, but it's more a fad than a practicality.

Nothing can touch them as far as speed and reliability.

I beg to differ on this.

Start up/Photoshop/Illustrator will all be faster on the lowest end mac compared with most of the highest end PCs.

On my PC photoshop is almost instant.

Anyway, one day, when MAC gets the keyboard/mouse, software compatibility, Port and screen problems fixed I'll get another one.

I beg to differ on this.

Start up/Photoshop/Illustrator will all be faster on the lowest end mac compared with most of the highest end PCs.

Anyway, one day, when MAC gets the keyboard/mouse, software compatibility, Port and screen problems fixed I'll get another one.

Ptfff almost :roll:

I beg to differ on this.

Ptfff almost :roll:

Even the simple job of making a zip archive is crap on a MAC.

It's not compatible with Winzip.

Try opening a file named archive.zip.001 that was made on a MAC, in any other computer. Worthless.