Malaria

Treborz

No

Ditto...frankly it didn't even occur to me when I went up there.

Malaria is perfectly treatable as well. I'm living proof of that. I'd be more worried about stuff like Dengue Fever and Japanese Encephalitis which have neither vaccine nor treatment to the my knowledge.

Travel safe and enjoy. :D

just bring your condom.....

He can just buy the condom...

Apparently you need Malarial prophylaxis in case you are going into the jungle around border area especially the west side like Kanchanaburi and Rachaburi and Cambodian border you can go to pharmacy and ask for choices ;) Good luck

Anyway not many people have the prophylaxis just wait 2 weeks after you come back then if you have fever will chilling then :D go to see doctor .. it's curable

No

Malaria is perfectly treatable as well. I'm living proof of that. I'd be more worried about stuff like Dengue Fever and Japanese Encephalitis which have neither vaccine nor treatment to the my knowledge.

There's a vaccine for Japanese encephalitis. I got it before I came to Thailand ages and ages ago. You don't need Malaria meds for Bangkok or Chiang Mai.

No

There's a vaccine for Japanese encephalitis. I got it before I came to Thailand ages and ages ago. You don't need Malaria meds for Bangkok or Chiang Mai.

Thanks guys, i know i don't need it for bkk or the south, been there plenty of times. I took them when I went up to Cambodia last year just to be safe but I've never been north of Bangkok in Thailand so just wanted to make sure.

Not sure what activities i'll be doing yet but want to see some of the golden triangle and will probably do one of the day trips that are on offer.

In places where the risk of contracting malaria is low and the incidence of this disease on the poplulation is not high I wont suggest a profilaxis. The sides effect's of the most common medications for that profilaxis are in some cases awful, and even if you tolerate them well they have a strong impact on your body.

Just in case you plan some trakking in the jungle or in places where medical services are out of reach then maybe I would consider to take a cure based on Malarone (mefloquine resistent malaria was observed in the region) which you can take ONLY as a treatment in case you have high fever and can not reach a medical structure to get a correct diagnose and relative cure.

simple bug repellent has always done the trick for me. unless you're going deep jungle or swampy areas with standing water, and at dusk, i haven't found i even need the kind with deet.

smoking is usually a bit of an insect repellent but i think if it this way: if my blood alcohol content is high enough, it should be instant alcohol poisoning for any of hte little fuckers that dare bite me, given their body weight.

No

Thanks for the info on the Jap Encephalitis. I tend not to be to paranoid about catching any tropical diseases but good to know there is something available. :)

And as some other poster pointed out, most of the malaria prophylactics prescribed in Europe are very expensive and are pretty toxic by nature having potentially a multitude of side effects which may only be marginally worse than catching the real thing. Lariam used to have on its packaged notes death as one of the less likely side effects in small print. Now, that would suck being killed by the drug rather than the bug. :wink:

Lariam active substance is Mefaquine. Areas around the Thai-Burma borders and Thai.Cambodian birders are known to oresent forms of malaria that are resistant to Mefaquine and also to other treatments.

About Lariam what I can tel is that while I was visiting a country in Africa where the profilaxis was highly reccomanded after 3 weeks I had to suspend it because the sides effects were terrible.

I have spent 2 more months there without any profilaxis, just paying attention to limit the mosquito bites and I survived ;)

Anyway, in Thailand the situation is much safer; the risk is really low (for a SEA country I mean) and the avaiablety of center where you can get a diagnose and a cure at the first synthomes is high so I guess that nobody would suggest a profilaxis for Thailand (specially when you know how those medicaments can debilitate your health).