What Day Is Today ?

SweetieBabie

Something happened in Beijing on this day 20 years ago.....

Anyone remember the iconic image of a guy standing in front of a column of tanks?

yes, and the guy seemed to disappear. I remember there was a man on a bicycle came to talk to the guy.

From what I understand the guy has never been identified.

It has to be one of the most courageous acts of the second half of the 20th century!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone remember the iconic image of a guy standing in front of a column of tanks?

yes, and the guy seemed to disappear. I remember there was a man on a bicycle came to talk to the guy.

It has to be one of the most courageous acts of the second half of the 20th century!

Agree.

btre54k0wxg00btre54k0wxg00i42906660.jpg

Hope he's safe and well.

Agree.

btre54k0wxg00btre54k0wxg00i42906660.jpg

Hope he's safe and well.

hmmmm .... unfortunately i seem to recall reading reports he'd been killed during the protests !!

seems to be varying reports of what actually happened to him .... but if he is still alive seems strange he's never been formally identified !!

Identity and fate

Little is publicly known of the man's identity or that of the commander of the lead tank. Shortly after the incident, British tabloid the Sunday Express named the man as Wang Weilin, a 19-year-old student who was later charged with "political hooliganism" and "attempting to subvert members of the People's Liberation Army"; however, the veracity of this claim is dubious. Numerous rumors have sprung up as to the man's identity and current whereabouts, but none are backed by hard evidence.[citation needed]

There are several conflicting stories about what happened to him after the demonstration. In a speech to the President's Club in 1999, Bruce Herschensohn?former deputy special assistant to President of the United States Richard Nixon?reported that he was executed 14 days later[citation needed]; other sources say he was killed by firing squad a few months after the Tiananmen Square protests. In Red China Blues: My Long March from Mao to Now, Jan Wong writes that the man is still alive and is hiding in mainland China.

The People's Republic of China government has made few statements about the incident or the people involved[citation needed]. In a 1990 interview with Barbara Walters, then-CCP General Secretary Jiang Zemin was asked what became of the man. The Chinese leader first stated (through an interpreter), "I can't confirm whether this young man you mentioned was arrested or not." Jiang then replied in English, "I think never killed." [sic] A June 2006 article in the Hong Kong Apple Daily stated that there are rumours that the man is now residing in Taiwan.

interesting article on the photo !!

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/03/behind-the-scenes-tank-man-of-tiananmen/

Not sure if this has been discussed already on tf recently but it has obviously been a hot topic in Hong Kong.

In tapes secretly recorded during his 16 years under house arrest, Zhao Ziyang, the former head of the Communist party, denounced the killing of protesters as a "tragedy", and challenged the party's subsequent rejection of democratic reforms.

The book flew off the shelves over here even to the extent that wild man of HK politics 'Longhair' was unable to secure his own copy. A link to the above article here.

It will be interesting to see what the turnout will be like at events being held in Hong Kong this evening.

I remember being in Ealing ironing a shirt when it came on the news; I burnt the shirt as I was glued to the screen and the TV was black and white!

World Environment Day (WED) was established by the UN General Assembly in 1972 to mark the opening of the Stockholm Conference on the Human Environment.

Commemorated yearly on 5 June, WED is one of the principal vehicles through which the United Nations stimulates worldwide awareness of the environment and enhances political attention and action. The day's agenda is to:

1. Give a human face to environmental issues;

2. Empower people to become active agents of sustainable and equitable development;

3. Promote an understanding that communities are pivotal to changing attitudes towards environmental issues;

4. Advocate partnership which will ensure all nations and peoples enjoy a safer and more prosperous future.

Today is the day after David was found dead in swiss hotel out there on wireless road.

seems to a sloppy story as every news outlet is reporting something different

some say suicide by rope hanging in closet

others say found dead with string tied around neck and penis

and a few r saying died of natural causes

seems like a good dude. and i seen him in so many commercials shows and movies growin up

he was here filmin a movie i suppose

David Carradine ..... im so sorry. RIP i remember so much of you from my childhood. Wish i knew you where here in bangkok. Sorry. RIP

Today is Denmark's Constitution Day (Danish: Grundlovsdag) commemorates the anniversary of the signing of the Danish constitution of 1849, which established Denmark as a constitutional monarchy, and honors the constitution of 1953, which was adopted on the same day. It is celebrated on the fifth of June of each year where almost all workplaces and shops are closed, at noon on this particular day.

The day, however, is not widely used to celebrate the constitution as is seen in other countries, for example Norway.

This day is also Father's Day in Denmark.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_Day_(Denmark)"

On June 10, 1935, Alcoholics Anonymous was founded in Akron, Ohio.

In 1940, Italy declared war on France and Britain; Canada declared war on Italy.

Singer-musician Ray Charles, known for such hits as "What'd I Say," "Georgia on My Mind" and "I Can't Stop Loving You," died in Beverly Hills, Calif., at age 73.

In 1940, Italy declared war on France and Britain; Canada declared war on Italy.

Singer-musician Ray Charles, known for such hits as "What'd I Say," "Georgia on My Mind" and "I Can't Stop Loving You," died in Beverly Hills, Calif., at age 73.

psssssttttttttt ........ todays the 11th !!!

Not in all fuckin countries, and not where fuckin AA was founded!!

Not in all f*ckin countries, and not where f*ckin AA was founded!!

hahahahahaha !!!!!!! if i wasn't at work i'd buy u a beer !! :D:D

Just send me a virtual beer...no more virtual kisses ok Ciaran? ;)

Just send me a virtual beer...no more virtual kisses ok Ciaran? ;)

Tigerbeer.jpg