World Cup 2010 qualification

LakeGeneve

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

didn't see the match but GREAT result for the USA vs Spain 2-0. ending Spain's streak is arguably the USA's greatest achievement in foo-- errr, soccer. and yep for today, we can call it 'soccer.' cause we f*cking BEAT SPAIN, THAT'S WHY.

Yep, it took the USA to stop the Spainish streak, how funny.

soccer is not even popular in the US, the best US athletes play other sports such as American football, and basketball, yet with our second level athletes, we still can compete against nations who's best athletes play this single sport. :lol: Go USA.

i dont feel great about our chances with Brazil though.

maidai - they almost pulled it off this is very impressive brazil is a very strong caliber team. Is the US really that good? I imagine they are numbers show

that they are. the game was closer than the score looked... go USA!!! :P:P 8)

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=266850&cc=5901

didn't see the match but GREAT result for the USA vs Spain 2-0. ending Spain's streak is arguably the USA's greatest achievement in foo-- errr, soccer. and yep for today, we can call it 'soccer.' cause we f*cking BEAT SPAIN, THAT'S WHY.

soccer is not even popular in the US, the best US athletes play other sports such as American football, and basketball, yet with our second level athletes, we still can compete against nations who's best athletes play this single sport. :lol: Go USA.

maida -i they almost pulled it off this is very impressive brazil is a very strong caliber team. Is the US really that good? I imagine they are numbers show

Was definitely, to use that old football cliche, a game of 2 halves, but USA made Brazil work for the win and can look forward to the World Cup with a good degree of optimism. Has to be said though; the Kaka 'goal' was over the line by quite a distance; how that was disallowed is beyond me!!

:)

maida -i they almost pulled it off this is very impressive brazil is a very strong caliber team. Is the US really that good? I imagine they are numbers show

Was definitely, to use that old football cliche, a game of 2 halves, but USA made Brazil work for the win and can look forward to the World Cup with a good degree of optimism. Has to be said though; the Kaka 'goal' was over the line by quite a distance; how that was disallowed is beyond me!!

:)

I know what can be said Brazil is Brazil. always great. considering that their last matchup brazil beat them 3-0 the USA players have a problem with posting up on their men. and blocking off shot angles.. yes I agree no off sides the keeper actually pushed the ball out of the goal..that definitely was a bad call...this Confed game means nothing though the World Cup is very fierce and players usually play their best ball. We will see if this

gives the USA some momentum though. 8) 8)

i didn't see the match as it was past my bedtime. even had Kaka's goal counted, it's an impressive effort, especially considering how soundly brasil thrashed the US in the group round.

it bodes well for the US team, although we're still to international soccer (yeh we can still call it that we made it to the ******* finals) what fulham (see what i did there? Clint Dempsey's team, and possibly Altidore's in the near future) is to the Prem.

overlooked in all the fuss over the US' improbable achievement was south africa taking Spain right down to the wire in the 3rd place game. they nearly bumped off a Spain team desperate to avoid a second consecutive embarrassment, but the finishing just wasn't there, whereas Spain's finishing was back to the usual: clinical.

i didn't see the match as it was past my bedtime. even had Kaka's goal counted, it's an impressive effort, especially considering how soundly brasil thrashed the US in the group round.

it bodes well for the US team, although we're still to international soccer (yeh we can still call it that we made it to the f*cking finals) what fulham (see what i did there? Clint Dempsey's team, and possibly Altidore's in the near future) is to the Prem.

overlooked in all the fuss over the US' improbable achievement was south africa taking Spain right down to the wire in the 3rd place game. they nearly bumped off a Spain team desperate to avoid a second consecutive embarrassment, but the finishing just wasn't there, whereas Spain's finishing was back to the usual: clinical.

Saw the highlights of the 3rd place game and to be honest, Spain looked really tired so I think South Africa may have seen more of the game than they would have against a fresher side.

And I wouldn't dismiss USA's chances too quickly for next year - I would say they are worthy of perhaps a slight flutter on reaching the semi finals.

They will be a lot freshee than the European teams and the confidence their performances over the last week or so will have given them should stand them in good stead. No idea what their forthcoming programme is, but they could do with some friendlies against good European opposition.

Qualification spots given to each region are based on football level shown historically. Europe (9 Champions, 14 second places) and South America (9 Champions & 4 second places) they have been the strongest all times, therefore they deserve more spots to guarantee a good final.

Ok but those results are obviously skewed if there has been historically a disproportionate over representation from both continents/regions.

Thereafter, it becomes a self perpetuating trend. If you have an over representation then a team from that region has a better chance to win.

Article on point in todays Post with the writer suggesting that asia and africa should be allocated more teams for the finals. The author also suggests that Thailand should joing Oceania as an easier way to qualify....

Extract:

For convenience, Asia should get six spots with the Oceania champions joining the AFC qualifying round. With only 10 nations, South America should get four berths while Concacaf should receive three.

One may argue the quotas for Europe and South America should not be reduced as they have been the most successful continents in the World Cup with each lifting the trophy nine times. If you think that way, then the World Cup should be an encounter between the European and South American champions.

As for Thailand, if the allocated spots remain the same, it should switch to Oceania as this might improve the chance of advancing to the finals.
After being crowned Oceania champions, Thailand would face an Asian side in a play-off for a finals spot. This could be easier for the Kingdom than playing in long qualifying stages in Asia.

With only New Zealand a creditable side in Oceania, Thailand could become champions of the region. The Thais comfortably defeated a second-string All Whites in a friendly in Bangkok recently. Australia switched to Asia so why can't Thailand go the other way round?

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/sports/19430/thailand-should-join-oceania