World Cup 2010 qualification

LakeGeneve

Congrats to Australia - we will obtain our revenge against those diving primadona Italians next year.

England, Spain and Denmark all seem to be a sure thing. The Russians are closing in on Germany. Brazil is looking good.

Go Costa Rica!

I have always thought it was very unfair for other regions that 50% of teams from South America can qualify for the World Cup and even a 5th team as they usually win the playoff with Oceania.

Why do South American teams having such an easy qualification run?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hope we don't go in the same pool as the poms!!!! URHHHH The English Tabloid Press would be orgazmic!!!!! Lizardo and Peter H watch this space!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

mate you would probably beat them!!! And if it was a year after taking the Ashes again, imagine the celebrations; from Melbourne to Sydney, from Inverness to Glasgow!!!

:lol:

I just hope we don't go in the same pool as the poms!!!! URHHHH The English Tabloid Press would be orgazmic!!!!! Lizardo and Peter H watch this space!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

mate you would probably beat them!!! And if it was a year after taking the Ashes again, imagine the celebrations; from Melbourne to Sydney, from Inverness to Glasgow!!!

I 'm with you Iain!!!!! :lol::lol::lol: (And it's my buy for the drinks) !!!!!

I 'm with you Iain!!!!! :lol::lol::lol: (And it's my buy for the drinks) !!!!!

here's to a Scotland vs Australia final!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The qualifying spots are more about political power blocs within FIFA than any sense of fairness. CONCACAF gets 3 spots when they deserve 1 or at most 2.

OK thanks, I figured as much. However, one would think some of the other regional federations, Asia or Africa, would be able to vote for this to be changed? (Similar to when the african team quota was upped to 4 about 3-4 WCs ago).

Congrats to Australia - we will obtain our revenge against those diving primadona Italians next year.

England, Spain and Denmark all seem to be a sure thing. The Russians are closing in on Germany. Brazil is looking good.

Go Costa Rica!

I have always thought it was very unfair for other regions that 50% of teams from South America can qualify for the World Cup and even a 5th team as they usually win the playoff with Oceania.

Yes, I'm with you on this and hope too the Italians will get what they have coming for them. :bounce:

The qualifying spots are more about political power blocs within FIFA than any sense of fairness. CONCACAF gets 3 spots when they deserve 1 or at most 2.

OK thanks, I figured as much. However, one would think some of the other regional federations, Asia or Africa, would be able to vote for this to be changed? (Similar to when the african team quota was upped to 4 about 3-4 WCs ago).

i think places are also allocated on past performances to a certain extent ... and as all the winners have come from either south america or europe they r probably over represented !! also a lot of the advertising and sponsorship revenue have traditionally come from these areas and with FIFA money ALWAYS talks !!

Qualification spots given to each region are based on football level shown historically. Europe (9 Champions, 14 second places) and South America (9 Champions & 4 second places) they have been the strongest all times, therefore they deserve more spots to guarantee a good final.

didn't see the match but GREAT result for the USA vs Spain 2-0. ending Spain's streak is arguably the USA's greatest achievement in foo-- errr, soccer. and yep for today, we can call it 'soccer.' cause we f*cking BEAT SPAIN, THAT'S WHY.

Yep, it took the USA to stop the Spainish streak, how funny.

soccer is not even popular in the US, the best US athletes play other sports such as American football, and basketball, yet with our second level athletes, we still can compete against nations who's best athletes play this single sport. :lol: Go USA.

i dont feel great about our chances with Brazil though.

Qualification spots given to each region are based on football level shown historically. Europe (9 Champions, 14 second places) and South America (9 Champions & 4 second places) they have been the strongest all times, therefore they deserve more spots to guarantee a good final.

Ok but those results are obviously skewed if there has been historically a disproportionate over representation from both continents/regions.

Thereafter, it becomes a self perpetuating trend. If you have an over representation then a team from that region has a better chance to win.

didn't see the match but GREAT result for the USA vs Spain 2-0. ending Spain's streak is arguably the USA's greatest achievement in foo-- errr, soccer. and yep for today, we can call it 'soccer.' cause we f*cking BEAT SPAIN, THAT'S WHY.

Yep, it took the USA to stop the Spainish streak, how funny.

soccer is not even popular in the US, the best US athletes play other sports such as American football, and basketball, yet with our second level athletes, we still can compete against nations who's best athletes play this single sport. :lol: Go USA.

that's not entirely true anymore. watching soccer isn't popular in the US. playing is, and has been for at least 20 years now. older people grew up playing baseball, but now just about every kid grows up playing soccer from a very young age. still, i bet a fairly high percentage of the US national team were children of immigrants. there are more genuinely homegrown US soccer players these days, but it's still more popular with immigrants from futebol countries than for people whose parents were born in the states.

i dont feel great about our chances with Brazil though.

i feel great about the USA's chances of showing up for the match, that's about it. i suspect spain were complacent.

Ballers: Ah yes your best athletes play basketball .. remind me what the USA did in recent basketball tournaments ? Appart from the last one, their curriculum wasn't that great ...

American Footballers ??: 6foot5, 300+ pounds isn't exactly soccer material ...

Don't forget that MLS is in the middle of a season right now .. most European players have just ended their long season, and should be somewhere on a beach .. trust me, for most of these guys the Confederation's Cup is the least of their worries (just as NBA players didn't alwasy compete on worldcups, olympic games, etc)...

Who actually remembers the last Confederation's Cup winner ... a normal guess would lead you to Brazil indeed

I love basketball, american football, but just drop your 'with our second level athletes-overly cocky-bullshit ... it's embarressing

that's not entirely true anymore. watching soccer isn't popular in the US. playing is, and has been for at least 20 years now. older people grew up playing baseball, but now just about every kid grows up playing soccer from a very young age. still, i bet a fairly high percentage of the US national team were children of immigrants. there are more genuinely homegrown US soccer players these days, but it's still more popular with immigrants from futebol countries than for people whose parents were born in the states.

the USA has had a pretty decent football side for the last 12-16 years. i'd also guess most of the current side/squad play in major-ish leagues outside of the USA or have done at some stage in their career !!