Medical Truth or Fiction

SweetieBabie

Are pharmaceutical patents necessary?

... the claim that pharmaceutical patents is the only conceivable system for raising that money, is simply not true.

I agree 100%. When I said that I support Big Pharma -- what I should have said is that I support drug exploration, development and clinical trials. But given the choice as to who should be doing it -- I'd pick a government run body over big pharma 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

Government research institutions, if given sufficiently HUGE funding, could make the drugs we need and still make money. Even if they didn't turn a profit, who cares -- if there's one thing every person uses at some point in his or her life, it's medicine. So what better use of tax dollars than to fund medical research!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

inamorato25 wrote:

Government research institutions, if given sufficiently HUGE funding

I agree with you except we need to get the corporate money out of government also. Aspartame in still on the market due to manipulation of the research aloud to be used in determining its legality. Public safety needs to come before profit. If companies can buy government research results all is lost.

As a Medical Doctor I have to say this: Corporate systematical exploitation of pharmaceuticals is happening today, more than ever. I agree.

However, I seriously doubt if a Government body or organisation would be immune to the greed associated with profits resulting from high demand and low cost production. Additionally, it's the private laboratories which are making big news in advanced research developments. (Many of which are NOT USA based.)

I believe more money should be aimed at smaller institutions that are making big headway in the fight against disease and medical breakthroughs.

Now if we can just come up with a cure for injustice.....:P

Are pharmaceutical patents necessary?

... the claim that pharmaceutical patents is the only conceivable system for raising that money, is simply not true.

I agree 100%. When I said that I support Big Pharma -- what I should have said is that I support drug exploration, development and clinical trials. But given the choice as to who should be doing it -- I'd pick a government run body over big pharma 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

Government research institutions, if given sufficiently HUGE funding, could make the drugs we need and still make money. Even if they didn't turn a profit, who cares -- if there's one thing every person uses at some point in his or her life, it's medicine. So what better use of tax dollars than to fund medical research!

big pharma and their research arent going away anytime soon. realize that fact.

also they can do research and development in ways more efficient than public sector (in my opinion).

perhaps the solution would be if the govt bought the patent from big pharma. expensive yes. but its a solution so big pharma gets their compensation which is right and then it gets paid for by a larger percentage of society (tax) and also govt can sell it but at less than market prices.

As a Pharmaceutical consumer I have to say -

I believe the FDA and most major and minor drug companies are not doing a good job and I think the FDA is 100000000 % about the money n profits at the expense of everyone.

But some of the yummy yum yums they put out are just so tasty lolz

but there is a part of me that believes there should be a little more OVER the counter drugs in USA such as antibiotics, inhalers, some anti depressants n other essentials that should be easy to obtain for those who may need them.

I think Thailand has that part right but I really dislike their campaign against pain meds -

I think the rules in the states have everyone believing the best thing to do is see a doctor.

Is that really true? Unless your getting routinely checked for cancer n your average physical then a huge part of me feels the best thing to do is understand your symptoms, know your body and health and whats right for you