Thai underground culture...

hmmm - wonder if you ever came across a Scottish DJ in NY by the name of Tim-B? He lived there for a while pre and post 9/11 and used to do a lot of gigs with guys like Adam X (who co owns Sonic Groove) and Oliver Chesler (Horrorist).

Still gig occasionally but lately been concentrating on writing some tunes (couple of which may be on compilation at end of year)

Also still a vinyl junkie, have well over 5000 tunes on vinyl and acetate so they are spilling out of cupboards!!!

Did 2 years at Samui at Bar Solo and at Backyard and the Mountain Bar on Pha Ngan as well as the black and half moon parties.

Look forward to some anecdotes and chinwags when I get over!!

hmmm - wonder if you ever came across a Scottish DJ in NY by the name of Tim-B? He lived there for a while pre and post 9/11 and used to do a lot of gigs with guys like Adam X (who co owns Sonic Groove) and Oliver Chesler (Horrorist).

Still gig occasionally but lately been concentrating on writing some tunes (couple of which may be on compilation at end of year)

Also still a vinyl junkie, have well over 5000 tunes on vinyl and acetate so they are spilling out of cupboards!!!

Did 2 years at Samui at Bar Solo and at Backyard and the Mountain Bar on Pha Ngan as well as the black and half moon parties.

Look forward to some anecdotes and chinwags when I get over!!

Tim B sounds very familiar, you have a face pic though? I had to book 1000 DJ's with names like Steve B, B Tim, Itim, BB, Timmeh etc while high on something most of the time LOL so I can still remember face, but names no so much.

I have met Adam X for sure, he was quite a celebrity. I do think he flaked out on me or something... I have a slightly cranky association with his name.

LOL

Well next time you are in Thailand or if you go to NYC let me know. In nYc I'll get you in touch with the right ppl, in the land of THai we'll rock it out!

i would figure TF's social events could be considered underground culture. There are some weird mofo's up in here :lol:

¤Ø³µÅ¡ÃÒ¡ :roll:

I'm sure in SC all ya'll folks gots all their teeth and all

tf is a subculture in itself, but i wouldn't write my thesis on it

maybe i should buy you a map? bc you seem to be geographicly ignorant :lol:

the only subculture you need to get involved with is that ladyboy culture they have over there. but im sure thats the main reason why you go to Thailand. :lol:

but i wouldnt get too involved with secret societies or sub-cultures in Thailand, you might find yourself floating face down somewhere on the Chao Praya, yet thats better then simply dissappearing, theres no secret island where you can spoke weed all day long with Leonardo, thats just hollywood. :lol:

this thing where you don't know even have the slightest whiff of a clue about the topic in question, but feel compelled to 'contribute' anyway--that's normal for you isn't it. i mean, like, that's your thing, isn't it dude.

as for smoking weed all day there are lots of islands to do that, and if travels the overly-well-trodden path to laos one can start one's day with a nice opium coffee. but that's not what's being asked after.

why don't you just admit it once and for all, it's been a good, committed run, so now it's safe for you to come out of the closet. you are a middle aged white guy who doesn't get out of north carolina much.

i would figure TF's social events could be considered underground culture. There are some weird mofo's up in here :lol:

¤Ø³µÅ¡ÃÒ¡ :roll:

I'm sure in SC all ya'll folks gots all their teeth and all

tf is a subculture in itself, but i wouldn't write my thesis on it

maybe i should buy you a map? bc you seem to be geographicly ignorant :lol:

the only subculture you need to get involved with is that ladyboy culture they have over there. but im sure thats the main reason why you go to Thailand. :lol:

but i wouldnt get too involved with secret societies or sub-cultures in Thailand, you might find yourself floating face down somewhere on the Chao Praya, yet thats better then simply dissappearing, theres no secret island where you can spoke weed all day long with Leonardo, thats just hollywood. :lol:

this thing where you don't know even have the slightest whiff of a clue about the topic in question, but feel compelled to 'contribute' anyway--that's normal for you isn't it. i mean, like, that's your thing, isn't it dude.

as for smoking weed all day there are lots of islands to do that, and if travels the overly-well-trodden path to laos one can start one's day with a nice opium coffee. but that's not what's being asked after.

why don't you just admit it once and for all, it's been a good, committed run, so now it's safe for you to come out of the closet. you are a middle aged white guy who doesn't get out of north carolina much.

:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:

• 4 weeks later...
Is there any of that going on?

There must be Fetish clubs in BK?

i havent looked for them... but I doubt anything like that exists for pleasure... for $ yes... I think you can find anything.

So far as for Sub-cultures Japan pop and Korean pop fru fru fluffy haircuts are the predominant fashion. I have met a few punk rock kids in Chiang Mai but they were kinda about the fashion more than the essence of punk rock culture... they were quite cute actually but not really the dirty, angry, drunk rebels that I hung out with in high school.

Should try and start a raver subculture here, but I think the cops here will dead it quickly.

was discussing the relative lack of an alt music scene with a thai friend, and we came away thinking that it has a lot to do with a couple of things:

1. whereas in the west we are bombarded with a full spectrum of pop including various subgenres, home made indies, etc, here, they weren't. at least until the interwebs really took off here. and that's fairly recent.

2. there seems to be a lot of creative activity amongst Thais, and the fashion design and industrial design 'scenes' are pretty bumpin'. indie film is starting to get a great deal of attention, but most of the Thais in this scene studied film overseas. indie music scene is largely derivative from what i've seen, and many of the more creative acts seem very westernized--and that's because the people involved grew up or lived overseas. some interesting painting and visual art coming out of Thailand but most has to do with buddhist themes which may not travel well.

generally, this pattern favors decorative / "rich kid" art forms. it's a bit speculative but i have an idea on why this might be. while Thailand has its share of social unrest, most of it seems to be factional politics, and most Thais don't seem to be deeply involved. to my eyes and ears the best subculture musics are born in cesspools of discontent. for example, all the punk shows i've been to in China were pretty good and rated well on the intensity scale. punkers generally see it as a lifestyle/ethic rather than a fashion show there, at least that was my brief impression.

in short, life for middle class Thai kids is pretty easy, and unlike western kids, they don't seem to be able to find enough to be pissed off about.

sort of an incoherent ramble, but hey this is TF what the hell do you expect.

was discussing the relative lack of an alt music scene with a thai friend, and we came away thinking that it has a lot to do with a couple of things:

1. whereas in the west we are bombarded with a full spectrum of pop including various subgenres, home made indies, etc, here, they weren't. at least until the interwebs really took off here. and that's fairly recent.

2. there seems to be a lot of creative activity amongst Thais, and the fashion design and industrial design 'scenes' are pretty bumpin'. indie film is starting to get a great deal of attention, but most of the Thais in this scene studied film overseas. indie music scene is largely derivative from what i've seen, and many of the more creative acts seem very westernized--and that's because the people involved grew up or lived overseas. some interesting painting and visual art coming out of Thailand but most has to do with buddhist themes which may not travel well.

generally, this pattern favors decorative / "rich kid" art forms. it's a bit speculative but i have an idea on why this might be. while Thailand has its share of social unrest, most of it seems to be factional politics, and most Thais don't seem to be deeply involved. to my eyes and ears the best subculture musics are born in cesspools of discontent. for example, all the punk shows i've been to in China were pretty good and rated well on the intensity scale. punkers generally see it as a lifestyle/ethic rather than a fashion show there, at least that was my brief impression.

in short, life for middle class Thai kids is pretty easy, and unlike western kids, they don't seem to be able to find enough to be pissed off about.

sort of an incoherent ramble, but hey this is TF what the hell do you expect.

no makes perfect sense.

I'd love to spark some sort of colorful hedonistic based dance scene here, I think they would be into it. Unfortunately, I doubt I have the energy and/or resources to do it. And if done wrong it turn into party idiot style scene like the full moon events.

• 1 year later...

yeah the underground culture is well hidden.. as goth i've been to the goth party once.. really miss it. it was a shame at that time the organizer couldn't do well PR. so they got juz a few ppl there included me and my friends. but im not so much into the goth cult, still don't like the make up..some look too scary or ugly and too with costume... it will be so much cooler when you well pick the costume and bring up your style