Thai underground culture...

Since I got to Thailand I noticed that there is very little along the lines of sub-culture or counter culture.

Broadly most Thai clubs that I have been to play the same pop western, or Thai rock.

Lately, I met some cool people at the guest house where I stay at who have taken me to more unusual parties... We went to a costume party where I helped create painted on costume.

4235_1118601881014_1106017790_30575286_6366690_n.jpg

5179_99361681330_669736330_2529199_5225130_n.jpg

5179_99361656330_669736330_2529194_2737102_n.jpg

The next time I came back to BKK we went to an awesome live musical performance with some very cool and unusual acts.

The underground culture is there, but very carefully hidden... you just have to know the right people. Very different to the western world where it's very much in your face and in the open.

The point of this thread is I'd like to hear your experiences, and hear about different art events that are worth going to.

If anyone is interested in western counter-culture (I've been in one most of my adult life, and can studied the topic extensively in college)... I can share my past experiences.

V

i would figure TF's social events could be considered underground culture. There are some weird mofo's up in here :lol:

¤Ø³µÅ¡ÃÒ¡ :roll:

I'm sure in SC all ya'll folks gots all their teeth and all

tf is a subculture in itself, but i wouldn't write my thesis on it

Can I join this body painting event next time please?

It was kinda spontaneous my artist friend said:

"Hey V, you can do make up right?"

I said "I was a goth for many years, so I am very familiar with make up."

So we went to the party, and after I did the make up, the girl asked me to paint her whole body... and my friend added more to the face (I thought it was a bit overkill but whateva... we all have our own aesthetic)

I didn't expect to do the whole body, and ended up messing up a nice pair of pants. LOL

I was an event coordinator back in NYC for high end clients and low budget underground costume theme parties. If there was enough of an interest in Thailand... I know how to put those together.

I just dont want it to turn into what the full moon party has become. :scream: :puke_right:

Maybe make a non Halloween tf costume party?

Angels and Demons

Black and Light

Pirates and Mermaids

Red, Orange and White (ROW)

The only thing I hate doing is promoting, I'm more the logistics guy.

goldfinger_2_600.jpg

very interesting....dude you look like you are having a lot of fun painting the lady there.... :P:P :wink: In the US they do this a lot in celebrations...in the florida keys the women body paint their bodies topless nude...and also of course Madi Gras too.....We all probably remember this Gold Finger scene which blew people away back then...rock on...sean connery,,, the best bond ever...

very interesting....dude you look like you are having a lot of fun painting the lady there.... :P:P :wink: In the US they do this a lot in celebrations...in the florida keys the women body paint their bodies topless nude...and also of course Madi Gras too.....We all probably remember this Gold Finger scene which blew people away back then...rock on...sean connery,,, the best bond ever...

the girl i was painting not my type really.

I worked with burning man http://images.burningman.com/ events before so painted people is the norm

philosopher.35288.jpg

after a while the nudity looses it appeal and becomes part of the art.

the girl i was painting not my type really

that's cool dude..maybe it just me but...painting women looks like a lot of fun.. :roll:

hahahaaaha ok it is. :)

my preference was always for fluoro painted gals dancing by the dj box; mind you, it often caused lack of concentration on the tunes!!

:lol:

that's cool dude..maybe it just me but...painting women looks like a lot of fun.. :roll:

my preference was always for fluoro painted gals dancing by the dj box; mind you, it often caused lack of concentration on the tunes!!

my guess is the guys in the crowd wouldn't have noticed any missed beats !!! :D:D

my guess is the guys in the crowd wouldn't have noticed any missed beats !!! :D:D

true; but the sad f*cking trainspotters who hang over the sides of dj boxes worldwide probably would have.

But hey; a sad f*ck moaning or fluorescent **** under uv light?

So are there any Thai folks that care to share?

(Maidai, sorry you count as American.)

yes Vlad I know I'm not Thai but wanted to ask; know you are not a big fan of what the full moon parties have become, but have you been to any of the black or half moon parties? The black moons were about as underground as I saw in Th.

:)

yes Vlad I know I'm not Thai but wanted to ask; know you are not a big fan of what the full moon parties have become, but have you been to any of the black or half moon parties? The black moons were about as underground as I saw in Th.

I was so grossed out by what I saw at the full moon that after that the though of seeing something like that again would send shivers down my spine. It was the breeding grounds of the insolent, intoxicated and inbred.

After that I found the most remote beach possible and ignored anything that looked like a tourist.

I am a bit of an elitist. I helped organize some of the coolest events of their time. From illegal street parades to ill costume parties in abandoned warehouses. The purpose of those events was not to make $, but for the love of the scene the music and the party. When I see something like the full moon party I want to cry.

Perhaps I can organize something in Thailand... ;)

i would figure TF's social events could be considered underground culture. There are some weird mofo's up in here :lol:

maybe i should buy you a map? bc you seem to be geographicly ignorant :lol:

the only subculture you need to get involved with is that ladyboy culture they have over there. but im sure thats the main reason why you go to Thailand. :lol:

but i wouldnt get too involved with secret societies or sub-cultures in Thailand, you might find yourself floating face down somewhere on the Chao Praya, yet thats better then simply dissappearing, theres no secret island where you can spoke weed all day long with Leonardo, thats just hollywood. :lol:

I was so grossed out by what I saw at the full moon that after that the though of seeing something like that again would send shivers down my spine. It was the breeding grounds of the insolent, intoxicated and inbred.

After that I found the most remote beach possible and ignored anything that looked like a tourist.

I am a bit of an elitist. I helped organize some of the coolest events of their time. From illegal street parades to ill costume parties in abandoned warehouses. The purpose of those events was not to make $, but for the love of the scene the music and the party. When I see something like the full moon party I want to cry.

Perhaps I can organize something in Thailand... ;)

agree totally - I played at the Backyard at the post FMPs, and the novelty wore off pretty quickly and soon became disgusted with some of the behaviour I saw.

But the black moon is far more low key; always held away from Haad Rin (Macs Bay was usual venue) with a less touristy, more Thai crowd and some wicked local DJs.

With you on the party scene; my background is in the pre and post free party scene here; worked with and played with Spiral Tribe, Desert Storm and Exodus among others, as well as playing at some of London's Club Dog and Megadog parties of the early 90's, and party was more important than profit in those days. Within Glasgow we used venues as diverse as an entire 4 floors of flats to an abandoned underground station and a disused tunnel (only discovered by police when they felt the bass through the pavements above!!)

Later went on to promote and play with bigger names like Dave Clarke, Hardfloor and Felix da Housecat, but even then we aimed for break even and maybe a wee wage at the most.

Also helped organise Mayday in Glasgow for about 7 years; carnival procession followed by a day long party in the park. At its peak we were drawing around 20,000.

I would say give Pha Ngan another chance; find out when a black moon is on and head over. Is what the FMP should be like but lost years ago!

maybe i should buy you a map? bc you seem to be geographicly ignorant :lol:

the only subculture you need to get involved with is that ladyboy culture they have over there. but im sure thats the main reason why you go to Thailand. :lol:

but i wouldnt get too involved with secret societies or sub-cultures in Thailand, you might find yourself floating face down somewhere on the Chao Praya, yet thats better then simply dissappearing, theres no secret island where you can spoke weed all day long with Leonardo, thats just hollywood. :lol:

Actually, I drove across 48 states in 4 road trips, and flew to Hawaii. (That leaves only Alaska.) I frequented the south east often so I don't need a map, I know exactly where you are.

Your insults are terrible! I cant even be offended by them, they are predictably cute. The lady-boys I know are awesome, they are great dancers and overall good people.

The subcultures I was referring to are counter-cultures. Like Punk, Goth, Rave etc. I'm not really looking to smoke weed with Leo D., I assume you are referencing "the Beach", sorry haven't seen it. But if that's what I really wanted, I'd have no problems finding it... seems that there are plenty of unexplored places left in Thailand, I rode from Chiang Rai to Maehongson and then Maehongson to Ko Pangan and then Puket on my motorbike... (and back up to BKK) to I've probably seen more of your country then you have.

But this isn't a cock fight, so unless you want to contribute something to the topic save it for the other forums where you command the absolute respect of your peers.

agree totally - I played at the Backyard at the post FMPs, and the novelty wore off pretty quickly and soon became disgusted with some of the behaviour I saw.

But the black moon is far more low key; always held away from Haad Rin (Macs Bay was usual venue) with a less touristy, more Thai crowd and some wicked local DJs.

With you on the party scene; my background is in the pre and post free party scene here; worked with and played with Spiral Tribe, Desert Storm and Exodus among others, as well as playing at some of London's Club Dog and Megadog parties of the early 90's, and party was more important than profit in those days. Within Glasgow we used venues as diverse as an entire 4 floors of flats to an abandoned underground station and a disused tunnel (only discovered by police when they felt the bass through the pavements above!!)

Later went on to promote and play with bigger names like Dave Clarke, Hardfloor and Felix da Housecat, but even then we aimed for break even and maybe a wee wage at the most.

Also helped organise Mayday in Glasgow for about 7 years; carnival procession followed by a day long party in the park. At its peak we were drawing around 20,000.

I would say give Pha Ngan another chance; find out when a black moon is on and head over. Is what the FMP should be like but lost years ago!

Ahhhh perhaps the next time I am in that area I will swing by the half and black moon. Sounds much more savory than the poor excuse for an orgy that the FMP was.

Spiral Tribe cats are awesome, I met some members at burning man! So you actually know what you are talking about that's sweet. I used to work for many different crews... but probably only the big club names will ring a bell, and those would be Sound Factory, Limelight, and the Tunnel. I got into the art business by doing flyers for friends parties. LOL I miss hidden raves in the woods of dark NYC parks, under bridges and in abandoned buildings.

After the whole rave scene went to **** some friends of mine started organizing illegal mobile street parties. They got so large that the cops had no way of stopping us.

Here is a photo I made... I was in charge of the boom box crew. hehehehehe

n669736330_88466_7750.jpg

Very glad you are a kindred spirit!

What are you doing now days?