Use of bicycles..

Leaf

In Manila and other Asian countries having a car is a "status" (means you are rich). How to cut this STIGMA? What do you think about cycling/biking?

I had that idea when I was 20s. but street in BKK don't have bicycle lane... it has only at Praditmanutaam Rd. the busy road as Sukhumvit or Ratchada is too dangerous to ride bicycle...

Can everyone remember when the BMA marked out a cycling path in the middle of the eastern pedestrian sidewalk/footpath (ie. south lane side) along Sukhumvit late last year/early this year.

Completely unbelievable! One of those only in Thailand events. Not only is the term pedestrian sidewalk/pathfoot a very loose characterisation but how the heck is anyway expected to ride when there is no space given all the bloody stalls. (I can just picture someone from the local two districts offices attending the monthly BMA mtg and stating that they have installed a bike path along Sukhumvit for the farang who want to ride home).

At least a good thing is that the BMA is expanding their Klong path program in the last few budgets (eg. upper San Saeb) though most of the paths being built are not really wide enough for riding at anything but a slow place and then they are gaps and parts of the path become encroached upon by residents. This is BKK after all!

On a postive not there are some good places to ride on Thonburi side (Phutthamonthon - esp sai 4 & west, the klong between Thoet Thai & Phetkasem from Charoensri market, and there are some nice rides around Klong BKK Noi in Nonthaburi - you can catch the train to Taling Chan and work your way north). The circle route of Koh Kret is also a great ride although it is short enough to be walked and 'Koh' Phra Pradaeng is worth exploring on a bike. (Since the channel was cut through I guess technically is is now a Koh?).

I love riding and used ro ride a lot in OZ but riding on main roads in Bkk and most rurals areas means putting your life in the hands of too many people that well, to put it bluntly cannot drive safely! :cry:

• 3 months later...
In Manila and other Asian countries having a car is a "status" (means you are rich). How to cut this STIGMA? What do you think about cycling/biking?

I guess in Asia, it is more like.. the rich and the poor..it is quite obvious..

So if ppl can afford sth.. they want to show that they have "MORE" than others.

But in western world.. the society structure tries to make ppl equal as much as possible..

So they dont really need to try to show "MORE" kind of things..

They use the bicycles coz it is handy and it is cheap..

and they dont have to care that others will think that they are poor..

:wink: