• 3) Clear Heels
    • 4) Duty
    • 5) Pile Up
    • 6) Random Nights
    • 7) In Her Shoe
    • 8) donĂ¢??t throw them away
    • 9) Because I wanna be in the picture!
    • 10) My Shoes

Well, I'd like to see some creative ideas that you guys talked about. Show us one or two pic to educate us, that would be kind from you.

I dont really think it would be fair or right to introduce outside pics, even to just show example of a point. This is very good competition I look forward to every month and it should be only about those who have a go.

Having said that, I dont think it should be only about voting for the best. I think there should be much more discussion - both critical and encouraging - not just vote for the best.

I made comments in the hope maybe someone would interpret them positively and have a better go at it next time, and of course a better shot.

I think that how one goes about approaching something can be a very large part of getting something great.

lol.. this is ridiculous...

It sounds like "I know but I'm not telling you nah nah nah nah nah..."

:lol:

Not at all.

While I totally understand all the technical aspects of photography and what goes into it, I am not a photographer... nor would I ever claim to be. I am, by profession, and 30 years experience, an art director and creative director. This means (in the case of photographers) that its my job to work with the professional photographer to get to the best idea, best approach to that idea and ultimately the best shot to express that idea. You can poo-poo that all you like, but any of the pro photographers or film directors I've worked with all very much value the symbiotic relationship working with a good art director/creative director to help them achieve beyond their best.

What I was talking about is both the approach one takes to any given subject (before you even pick up the camera), and also putting some thought into different ideas about the subject at hand. As beej rightly says: 'thinking outside the box'. Both of these things are IMO just as important as any 'technical' or post-production prowess and often will lead to a better shot.

You can take this free piece of simple advice or not :wink:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at all.

While I totally understand all the technical aspects of photography and what goes into it, I am not a photographer... nor would I ever claim to be. I am, by profession, and 30 years experience, an art director and creative director. This means (in the case of photographers) that its my job to work with the professional photographer to get to the best idea, best approach to that idea and ultimately the best shot to express that idea. You can poo-poo that all you like, but any of the pro photographers or film directors I've worked with all very much value the symbiotic relationship working with a good art director/creative director to help them achieve beyond their best.

What I was talking about is both the approach one takes to any given subject (before you even pick up the camera), and also putting some thought into different ideas about the subject at hand. As beej rightly says: 'thinking outside the box'. Both of these things are IMO just as important as any 'technical' or post-production prowess and often will lead to a better shot.

well i'm pretty sure some of the ppl entering DID think about how to approach the subject and from the shots taken ppl obviously did have different ideas on the subject ..... i mean that's really stating the obvious and isn't really telling some of the guys on here something they don't already know. i mean for christs sake i was thinking about how to approach this subject and what kind of different ideas i could use and i didn't even enter a f**king picture !! i know my biggest problem is i just don't really have an "eye for a picture", but i did like some of these pics and when seeing them i thought ... now why didn't i f**king think of that !!!

as cool_A said gives some instances (or pics) of HOW they should approach the subject and in WHAT way they should "think outside the box" !! otherwise it is really just stating the obvious ... or something u could read in the first chapter of just about any "starting photography" book u pick up !!!

Not at all.

well i'm pretty sure some of the ppl entering DID think about how to approach the subject and from the shots taken ppl obviously did have different ideas on the subject ..... i mean that's really stating the obvious and isn't really telling some of the guys on here something they don't already know. i mean for christs sake i was thinking about how to approach this subject and what kind of different ideas i could use and i didn't even enter a f**king picture !! i know my biggest problem is i just don't really have an "eye for a picture", but i did like some of these pics and when seeing them i thought ... now why didn't i f**king think of that !!!

as cool_A said gives some instances (or pics) of HOW they should approach the subject and in WHAT way they should "think outside the box" !! otherwise it is really just stating the obvious ... or something u could read in the first chapter of just about any "starting photography" book u pick up !!!

Ok. But as I said earlier, the reason I didn't say any more in-depth or show examples etc is because I don't think this is the place to do that and I didn't want to interfere with this great competition.

And, from what I see of the shots in this month (compared to many previously) I can't see much 'thinking' or 'ideas' going on and I think this is why most ended up quite predictable and less than they could have been. People can get upset by that POV or not.

I'm happy to help out anyone who genuinely wants to know stuff, but I suggest a separate place for that.

As pandorea already said once, this forum/comp is about just fun and not taken that seriously.

Perhaps I should not have said anything at all. Apologies to anyone who's offended.

I'm happy to help out anyone who genuinely wants to know stuff, but I suggest a separate place for that.

I'm willing and ready to learn. You know that, you don't need to post or quote in this thread. If you really want to help us who lack of "thinking" nor "ideas", you can start a new thread in this Shutternut thingy which I believe this subforum is for.

Thanks in advance.

Not at all.

Ok. But as I said earlier, the reason I didn't say any more in-depth or show examples etc is because I don't think this is the place to do that and I didn't want to interfere with this great competition.

And, from what I see of the shots in this month (compared to many previously) I can't see much 'thinking' or 'ideas' going on and I think this is why most ended up quite predictable and less than they could have been. People can get upset by that POV or not.

As pandorea already said once, this forum/comp is about just fun and not taken that seriously.

Perhaps I should not have said anything at all. Apologies to anyone who's offended.

well i didn't enter so i can't even pretend to be offended !!! :twisted: :twisted:

but (IMO) if u r gonna criticize maybe u should give more detail of how to improve the pics ... or provide examples. actually i would be interested to hear from our more creative ppl on here how they think better pics could be made .... because mine suck !!!

i mean i could say ppl didn't spend much time thinking about how to approach this subject .... or didn't try to envisage different ways in how to picture it .... but ppl would just laugh at me !! :(:(

whereas they probably take what u say more seriously !!!

I'm willing and ready to learn. You know that, you don't need to post or quote in this thread. If you really want to help us who lack of "thinking" nor "ideas", you can start a new thread in this Shutternut thingy which I believe this subforum is for.

Thanks in advance.

i liked ur pic .... even voted for it !!! :D:D

and i actually felt u had put some thought into the subject and shot !! different colours, different textures, the use of the step and shadows .... as a jealous point and shoot guy i was impressed !!

i'd never have thought of setting up a shot like that !!

Thanks in advance.

Ok. If you would like that, I will try to dedicate some time for that for you. Give me a couple of days to think it though and I will start it in the other forum.

Thanks for your energy :wink:

I give you the winner of November's TF Photo Competition on the topic of "Shoes" is: "My Shoes" by CherryBerry.

Well done on a tricky subject! :D

The topic for January's Photo Competition as chosen by CherryBerry is:

"Colours". 8)

We will have a "Best of TF 2009" competition in December and a seperate topic regarding will be posted shortly. Then in January we'll carry on as were with CherryBerry's topic. I hope she can wait that long.

The shutternuts behind November's entries were:

"Bliss" - Coolpapa

"Rest" - cool_A

"Clear Heels" - pandorea

"Duty" - SomAmour

"Pile Up" - Hobbes

"Random Nights" - barsie

"In Her Shoe" - I_am_George

"stare" - Frans65

"Because I wanna be in the picture!" - Aphrodite

"My Shoes" - CherryBerry

Many Thanks to all those that participated in the competition as well as to those that voted for their favourite picture.

I made the album on Photobucket now public and it can be found here.

We'll be seeing the winners of 2009 in a shoot-out shortly.

8)

#8? :?:

Well spotted Rob, thanks. Changed to the proper title.

As a permanence loser of this competition thingy, I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t mind listening to any criticism as long as you have some good advices. But as for some kind of critic without any advice I simply donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t care. I believe most of participants join this competition just for fun and if we put our pictures on here and get some craps in return, I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t think the competition will last long (except those with thick skin like me).

TF has always had plenty of self-appointed "experts," some of whom purport to know everything about everything.

They remind me of the Indian tailors who stand in front of their shops trying to hook customers. If their product was worth a ****, they'd be so busy with customers that they wouldn't have the need or the time to try to convince everyone how great, experienced, accomplished and wise they are.

Beyond certain technical considerations there's no "good" or "bad" in photography. It's more a matter of "like" or "don't like," relevant to the purpose it serves.

That's what I enjoy about the TF-photos gallery on Flickr: all the great photos without all the nebulous babble.

TF has always had plenty of self-appointed "experts," some of whom purport to know everything about everything.

They remind me of the Indian tailors who stand in front of their shops trying to hook customers. If their product was worth a sh*t, they'd be so busy with customers that they wouldn't have the need or the time to try to convince everyone how great, experienced, accomplished and wise they are.

Beyond certain technical considerations there's no "good" or "bad" in photography. It's more a matter of "like" or "don't like," relevant to the purpose it serves.

That's what I enjoy about the TF-photos gallery on Flickr: all the great photos without all the nebulous babble.

Then I will keep my "self appointed" mouth shut in future on this topic. And, unlike those Indian tailors, I am busy very with my (well paying) customers and always have been.

Have fun.