Thai things that annoy you BUT you never want them to change

KhunEmma

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though this may sound like an expat moan please realize I know all countries have there annoyances. Mine in Thailand is a small one but it bugs me: Escalators, why isn't there a sign saying stand on the right if not walking up or down. I am often in a rush and having to either ask for a path or wait as the things trundles along can be frustrating.

Because Thai people who use escalators are not in rush people, if you in rush, i suggest you use stair case .. :)

Where are the stairs at in MBK?, or Siam Parragon?, or Emporium? I have never seen them, or any signs showing where they are?

Even though this may sound like an expat moan please realize I know all countries have there annoyances. Mine in Thailand is a small one but it bugs me: Escalators, why isn't there a sign saying stand on the right if not walking up or down. I am often in a rush and having to either ask for a path or wait as the things trundles along can be frustrating.

Because Thai people who use escalators are not in rush people, if you in rush, i suggest you use stair case .. :)

Where are the stairs at in MBK?, or Siam Parragon?, or Emporium? I have never seen them, or any signs showing where they are?

They dont provide because they think people coming to their place for shopping / relaxing :lol: (actually you can find stair case just follow 'fire exit' signs )

Guest Lollipop

They dont provide because they think people coming to their place for shopping / relaxing :lol: (actually you can find stair case just follow 'fire exit' signs )

:roll: I hate when using escalators with those who think they own ones. They talk and use phone while using ones and they always stop at the end of walking. Don't you guys think there are many people behind you guys? this is one of annoying things that some Thais think it's normal but I ever see some farang do.

Never thought about that.. and it's actually so true.

It's actually so backwards to me. People who are not in a rush should use the slower stairs. Lazy people should stick to one side of the escalator so they can relax and move along while being considerate to those that would like to move quicker.

To me, that is obvious common sense. However, this isn't my country and people here think differently than I do at times.

There is something strange, will not say wrong, in the relationship money vs. Thai!

In most Expat societies money is related to hard work "work for your money"! In the Thai society money seems more valued as a transmitter of values and can pay respect, brides, bribes, believe, as a heartfelt gift, even love etc. For Thais even better than money is pure simple gold! What's that?

Which is not wrong because the believe in a piece of paper or an ounce metal made the world go round!

What makes me worry is that some expats adopted or adapted to that kind of attitude and use it in the worst way to get their advantage out of it!

Does this mean "no more work for money"?

You think many Thai girls become prostitues for fun?

Poverty doesn't give a darn about "value" but "what to eat tomorrow and Iphone 4 is needed".

I think many become sponging party girls for fun and laziness :)

Staff **** me off.

We pay really well here, and its not the hardest of jobs, but I've come to a realisation why people don't want to work harder for more money....

I'm offering a lot more money if they work a full day and a little bit harder but no one wants it..... why?

Well why work harder if you're only going to have to give it all away to your family or partner at the end of the day, to pay for their lazy asses.... and never see a satang for your own pocket.

Staff f*ck me off.

We pay really well here, and its not the hardest of jobs, but I've come to a realisation why people don't want to work harder for more money....

I'm offering a lot more money if they work a full day and a little bit harder but no one wants it..... why?

Well why work harder if you're only going to have to give it all away to your family or partner at the end of the day, to pay for their lazy asses.... and never see a satang for your own pocket.

Interesting point. How about showing a chart of the projected financial benifits over 6 months or 1 year with a few examples of what they could do with the money. A pic of a spanking new note book or something. Long term planning for benifits seems low on the priority list sometimes in this neck of the woods.

There is something strange, will not say wrong, in the relationship money vs. Thai!

In most Expat societies money is related to hard work "work for your money"! In the Thai society money seems more valued as a transmitter of values and can pay respect, brides, bribes, believe, as a heartfelt gift, even love etc. For Thais even better than money is pure simple gold! What's that?

Which is not wrong because the believe in a piece of paper or an ounce metal made the world go round!

What makes me worry is that some expats adopted or adapted to that kind of attitude and use it in the worst way to get their advantage out of it!

Does this mean "no more work for money"?

You think many Thai girls become prostitues for fun?

Poverty doesn't give a darn about "value" but "what to eat tomorrow and Iphone 4 is needed".

I think many become sponging party girls for fun and laziness :)

To be fair, I used to have bad attitude with prositutes, but after I had chances to ask them WHY?

I feel sorry for some of them as they have to support their family, children etc.. Some of them have no education. Just be a maid to scrub toilets won't be enough, would it?

Not all of them are party tarts and sell themselves.

Staff f*ck me off.

Interesting point. How about showing a chart of the projected financial benifits over 6 months or 1 year with a few examples of what they could do with the money. A pic of a spanking new note book or something. Long term planning for benifits seems low on the priority list sometimes in this neck of the woods.

Tried it all, but most never get to keep the money, we tell them to lie that the salary is half and save the rest for themselves but they never want to.

Just sad, someone could work for us for 3 years with free housing, and walk away with their own business and a bank full of money.

Staff f*ck me off.

Tried it all, but most never get to keep the money, we tell them to lie that the salary is half and save the rest for themselves but they never want to.

Just sad, someone could work for us for 3 years with free housing, and walk away with their own business and a bank full of money.

I'll take that job.

Guest Lollipop
Staff f*ck me off.

fire one and hire me :D

Staff f*ck me off.

I'll take that job.

We do have a job for you.... but it won't be for another couple months and it'll only take 3 hours but I'm sure its right up your street!

Staff f*ck me off.

I'll take that job.

YES ....send me an application CHris!!!!!! :D:D

Staff f*ck me off.

I'll take that job.

YES ....send me an application CHris!!!!!! :D:D

But would you do it if you had to give 90% of the money to your lazy ass family who enjoy drinking and gambling it away?

beej wrote:
But would you do it if you had to give 90% of the money to your lazy a*s family who enjoy drinking and gambling it away?

IN the US we give our money to an irresponsible government that enjoys drinking and gambling it away.

In the wise words of Louie C K

"You're a white, American man, what the **** have you really got to moan about?"

Staff f*ck me off.

Its also a prestige thing. Most Thai people are as interested in the prestige of the job - location, office space, people, big name, and less in the salary. Particularly for lower income people.

Studies done in the west have shown that money works as an incentive to a certain point - sufficiency. Beyond that people want autonomy, mastery, and input with decision makers.