Israel does it again...

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

article from Haaretz .... daily newspaper in isreal printed in english.

Gaza flotilla drives Israel into a sea of stupidity

Of course the peace flotilla will not bring peace, and it won't even manage to reach the Gaza shore. The action plan has included dragging the ships to Ashdod port, but it has again dragged us to the shores of stupidity and wrongdoing

By Gideon Levy The Israeli propaganda machine has reached new highs its hopeless frenzy. It has distributed menus from Gaza restaurants, along with false information. It embarrassed itself by entering a futile public relations battle, which it might have been better off never starting. They want to maintain the ineffective, illegal and unethical siege on Gaza and not let the "peace flotilla" dock off the Gaza coast? There is nothing to explain, certainly not to a world that will never buy the web of explanations, lies and tactics.

Only in Israel do people still accept these tainted goods. Reminiscent of a pre-battle ritual from ancient times, the chorus cheered without asking questions. White uniformed soldiers got ready in our name. Spokesmen delivered their deceptive explanations in our name. The grotesque scene is at our expense. And virtually none of us have disturbed the performance.

The chorus has been singing songs of falsehood and lies. We are all in the chorus saying there is no humanitarian crisis in Gaza. We are all part of the chorus claiming the occupation of Gaza has ended, and that the flotilla is a violent attack on Israeli sovereignty - the cement is for building bunkers and the convoy is being funded by the Turkish Muslim Brotherhood. The Israeli siege of Gaza will topple Hamas and free Gilad Shalit. Foreign Ministry spokesman Yossi Levy, one of the most ridiculous of the propagandists, outdid himself when he unblinkingly proclaimed that the aid convoy headed toward Gaza was a violation of international law. Right. Exactly.

It's not the siege that is illegal, but rather the flotilla. It wasn't enough to distribute menus from Gaza restaurants through the Prime Minister's Office, (including the highly recommended beef Stroganoff and cream of spinach soup ) and flaunt the quantities of fuel that the Israeli army spokesman says Israel is shipping in. The propaganda operation has tried to sell us and the world the idea that the occupation of Gaza is over, but in any case, Israel has legal authority to bar humanitarian aid. All one pack of lies.

Only one voice spoiled the illusory celebration a little: an Amnesty International report on the situation in Gaza. Four out of five Gaza residents need humanitarian assistance. Hundreds are waiting to the point of embarrassment to be allowed out for medical treatment, and 28 already have died. This is despite all the Israeli army spokesman's briefings on the absence of a siege and the presence of assistance, but who cares?

And the preparations for the operation are also reminiscent of a particularly amusing farce: the feverish debate among the septet of ministers; the deployment of the Masada unit, the prison service's commando unit that specializes in penetrating prison cells; naval commando fighters with backup from the special police anti-terror unit and the army's Oketz canine unit; a special detention facility set up at the Ashdod port; and the electronic shield that was supposed to block broadcast of the ship's capture and the detention of those on board.

And all of this in the face of what? A few hundred international activists, mostly people of conscience whose reputation Israeli propaganda has sought to besmirch. They are really mostly people who care, which is their right and obligation, even if the siege doesn't concern us at all. Yes, this flotilla is indeed a political provocation, and what is protest action if not political provocation?

And facing them on the seas has been the Israeli ship of fools, floating but not knowing where or why. Why detain people? That's how it is. Why a siege? That's how it is. It's like the Noam Chomsky affair all over again, but big time this time. Of course the peace flotilla will not bring peace, and it won't even manage to reach the Gaza shore. The action plan has included dragging the ships to Ashdod port, but it has again dragged us to the shores of stupidity and wrongdoing. Again we will be portrayed not only as the ones that have blocked assistance, but also as fools who do everything to even further undermine our own standing. If that was one of the goals of the peace flotilla's organizers, they won big yesterday.

Five years ago, the noted Peruvian writer Mario Vargas Llosa, who is a Jerusalem Prize laureate, after concluding his visit to Israel, said the Israeli occupation was approaching its grotesque phase. Over the weekend Vargas Llosa, who considers himself a friend of Israel, was present to see that that phase has since reached new heights of absurdity.

What it comes down to is that Israel wants to control it's waters. It sees the Ports as a channel to smuggle large quantities of weapons into the Gaza strip. This would be a direct threat to national security. Was this the best way to go about this? Probably not.

To put things in perspective if you shared a driveway with an angry, abusive neighbor who threatened to kill you... you'd want to check the cars coming through "to deliver groceries" for guns. Perhaps pulling the driver out of the car and beating the **** out of him is not the best idea, but never the less you can see how one would want to check the car before it enters the yard...

Keep the Cuban missile crises in mind, after all the Soviets were just helping the Cubans.

What it comes down to is that Israel wants to control it's waters. It sees the Ports as a channel to smuggle large quantities of weapons into the Gaza strip. This would be a direct threat to national security. Was this the best way to go about this? Probably not.

To put things in perspective if you shared a driveway with an angry, abusive neighbor who threatened to kill you... you'd want to check the cars coming through "to deliver groceries" for guns. Perhaps pulling the driver out of the car and beating the sh*t out of him is not the best idea, but never the less you can see how one would want to check the car before it enters the yard...

Keep the Cuban missile crises in mind, after all the Soviets were just helping the Cubans.

I'm not saying they were right but Israel did have a blockade in effect and after they boarded the boat they were attacked according to Yahoo news. Now if they were attacked when boarding a ship which was trying to get past a blockade then what happened will happen. It all depends on who's spinning the story.

I was reading a friends posting on this and found this.

"Sooooo ONE media outlet takes a "pro-israel" stance, the rest are for the so called palastinians, and you feel the need to rant about what is fair and just. Israel didn't exactly attack the ship to begin with. Israel, for good reason, wanted to inspect the ships cargo. They even offered to let the ships dock at an Israeli port to be inspected. This offer was rebuffed so they repelled down a rope on to it's deck with paintball rifles and were told only to use real bullets if necessary. The Israeli commandos were then set upon by a mob of knife wielding maniacs, many of whom have links to hamas, hezbollah and al qaeda. The people of Palistine are starving because there hezbollah leadership refuses to get on board with international sentiment and for no other reason."

This has been my impression over the years. Yes it seems Israel is a big bully but then when it gets even remotely close to talking about peace some one blows themselves up or a rocket or roadside bomb. Can't get no where that way. I know it sucks over there but I won't pretend I have a clue to the politics. Seems any hope for peace is always f*cked by some assh*le

To put things in perspective if you shared a driveway with an angry, abusive neighbor who threatened to kill you... you'd want to check the cars coming through "to deliver groceries" for guns. Perhaps pulling the driver out of the car and beating the sh*t out of him is not the best idea, but never the less you can see how one would want to check the car before it enters the yard...

I'm not saying they were right but Israel did have a blockade in effect and after they boarded the boat they were attacked according to Yahoo news. Now if they were attacked when boarding a ship which was trying to get past a blockade then what happened will happen. It all depends on who's spinning the story.

ehhhhh .... under international law it is an ILLEGAL blockade !!

if u have armed terrorists/pirates ILLEGALLY boarding ur ship in INTERNATIONAL waters u r LEGALLY entitled to try and repel them !!!

no matter what f**king way u try to spin this it was piracy and murder !!!

but then again ... were israel is concerned this is nothing new !!!

right so now .... medical equipment, wheelchairs, cement, food = nuclear missiles !!!

typical f**king bollocks from zionist apologists for piracy and murder !!!!

if u have armed terrorists/pirates ILLEGALLY boarding ur ship in INTERNATIONAL waters u r LEGALLY entitled to try and repel them !!!

I hear ya but then I'm wonderin what the ship expected coming to Gaza. If they had an innocent cargo it would seem better to show it is then attack gunned men with knifes. Israel might have been wrong but the people on the ship sure seem like people I wouldn't want too close to my shore in the state of things. I wish for peace and freedom for the Palestinian people and children but the a**holes who keep screwing it up for Palestine I wish them to f*ck off. I know israel does **** too so it goes on and on and on.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_turkey_israel

This is the latest Yahoo has to offer. From this article I get the impression that some activists on those ships were more concerned with attacking a few soldiers then helping the people in Gaza by making sure their cargo was delivered. All it has taken is a few idiots with rockets to create the blockade and more assh*les to keep it in place.

right so now .... medical equipment, wheelchairs, cement, food = nuclear missiles !!!

typical f**king bollocks from zionist apologists for piracy and murder !!!!

So what you're saying is that Israel is supposed to fight by the Marquess of Queensbury rules while Hamas, Hezbollah and other terrorists have a right to go around kicking the Israelis in the nuts?

And anyone who believes that Israel had a right to board the flotilla is a "zionist apologist"?

******* bollocks, indeed!

cause Terrorist ALWAYS obey international law.

And if you got a wheelchair let them inspect it.

I can see you at BTS/MRT rambling at the security people. You can't check my bloody bah! I'm not a terrorist. LOL

Or yelling at the soldiers during the red shirt event, YOU CANT CHECK MY BLOODY CAR, I am bring them medical supplies and groceries. And proceeding to attack them with a stick when they open your trunk.

Uhuh. Logic -7

Anyone who recalls the Leon Klinghoffer murder knows exactly what ******* palestinians do with wheelchairs...

I can see you at BTS/MRT rambling at the security people. You can't check my bloody bah! I'm not a terrorist. LOL

Or yelling at the soldiers during the red shirt event, YOU CANT CHECK MY BLOODY CAR, I am bring them medical supplies and groceries. And proceeding to attack them with a stick when they open your trunk.

IF the ship had been in Israeli waters then they were entitled to inspect it .... illegally boarding a ship in international waters and then killing ppl on board that ship is piracy and murder !!!

IF the ship had been in Israeli waters then they were entitled to inspect it .... illegally boarding a ship in international waters and then killing ppl on board that ship is piracy and murder !!!

And IF a ship or ships have advertised a clear intention to enter Israeli waters, illegally....Israel is well within it's rights to prevent that happening

Are there any Americans here other than our resident hippie that disagree with Israel's actions last week?

yeah. i think the blockade is draconian and they probably should toughen up a bit and take a bullet in the gut and a bop on the head before they open fire with automatic weapons- they are soldiers for christ's sake.

the whole thing is a clusterf*ck and I tire of both Israel and Palestinians, to be honest.

on the one hand I feel the USA absolutely has to help israel defend itself in some ways but the amount of weapons etc has gotten way out of hand. In the end, I feel the USA foreign policy has let us all down. On the other hand I am glad I dont have Hillary Clinton's job.

Are there any Americans here other than our resident hippie that disagree with Israel's actions last week?

sure I do .......Even if it was in Israel's waters (wherever they might extend)

Its was a stupid move using the wrong type of personnel that lead to needless deaths.

That is not to say I disagree with their need to inspect shipping into Gaza

Not that it is not needed ...because the amount that is officially sanctioned is very near the minimum.

And that being said Beej

...you're post likening it to a prison camp should take into account that Egypt has the keys to an entire side of the fence and has chosen to be almost as restrictive.

Israel's current gov't is very pleased to screw-up any thing that takes a step toward settlement, and the are plenty Palestinian supporters who are motivated enough to martyrdom to try to make a point, or "step on Superman's Cape"

And IF a ship or ships have advertised a clear intention to enter Israeli waters, illegally....Israel is well within it's rights to prevent that happening

my understanding is that to reach Gaza they didn't need to enter Israeli waters !!

no matter what .... Israel attacked ships in international waters killing passengers .... and no matter what way the f**king zionist apologists try to spin it .... that is piracy and murder !!!

my understanding is that to reach Gaza they didn't need to enter Israeli waters !!

no matter what .... Israel attacked ships in international waters killing passengers .... and no matter what way the f**king zionist apologists try to spin it .... that is piracy and murder !!!

Blockade!!!! Blockade!!! nothing gets thru a blockade......

If any place in the world announces they've closed their borders, and i said right **** you lot, i'm coming anyway and i'm bringing all my mates with me, and i'm bringing boatloads of **** with me, could be anything in those boats **** you i'm coming.

what do you reckon would happen?

come on pick a country, any country even a somewhat civilised one.

it was blatant provocation full stop,

Blockade!!!! Blockade!!! nothing gets thru a blockade......

If any place in the world announces they've closed their borders, and i said right f*ck you lot, i'm coming anyway and i'm bringing all my mates with me, and i'm bringing boatloads of sh*t with me, could be anything in those boats f*ck you i'm coming.

come on pick a country, any country even a somewhat civilised one.

it was blatant provocation full stop,

which part of "they were not going through israel's borders" do u not f**king understand !!!

israel unilaterally withdrew from gaza in 2006, but since then has implemented an illegal blockade !!! but once again the international community and zionist aplogists turn a blind eye to their flaunting of international law !!! however, it's happened that often Israel (probably correctly) now believes they can do whatever the f**k they want, whenever they f**king want !!!!

In international waters.

When did boundaries or borders ever stop the people who are intent on doing harm to Israel and its people?

Like a well documented convoy of aid and peace activists.... damn those peace loving aid carrying mother fuckers may they rot in hell.