Bangkokian, stay calm and stay safe.

Chatty

Question

Bangkokian in my meaning is everyone who stay in Bangkok this moment. We might get flooded soon in all areas.

Some experts view in worst case scenario is 150 cm. (damn my height is 160 cm.)

There is an interesting video I wanna share with you guys, it's some information about flooding this time (except about the crocs)

It has English Subtitle. Let's watch and stay safe everyone.

Edited by Chatty

• Answers 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Marc said "wish the media would stop making dramas... thai people can do that just fine themselves... eg... soi 48-50 is not "flooded" if its only ankled deep water in SOME places." ...

Seems like it ankles deep as he said...but after the rain tonight that could be a real drama.

I forgot to mention that it was because of a flood wall had broken and I didn't post the link. My bad.

Are you saying you believe Marc over me? tut tut Pandorea. I thought you trusted me. lol

Marc said "wish the media would stop making dramas... thai people can do that just fine themselves... eg... soi 48-50 is not "flooded" if its only ankled deep water in SOME places." ...

Seems like it ankles deep as he said...but after the rain tonight that could be a real drama.

Yeah, I've seen Soi 11 in deeper water than that. Not to minimalize the flooding but as the great Crocodile Dundee once said, "That's not a flood. This is a flood."

101018-thailand-flooding-hmed-2a.grid-6x2.jpg

Does anyone think the Baht will weaken in the aftermath to encourage foreign investment/increased tourism?

(basically will i get a cheap holiday out of it?)

:twisted:

Sometime you have to make light of a bad situation.

lol...There will probably be a depreciation, but not by much (10% max). It will be short-lived as well. Still...31 to the dollar wouldn't be all that bad.

The system in Central of BKK is better than the outskirt of BKK. kha. water went away so fast, phewwwwwwwwww!!

Tonight, the area that we should watch out are Ladproa, Taweewathana, Jatujak, Huaykhwang.

So, it will arrive Huaykhwang where my dad and mom are living now. I asked if my dad and mom wanted to leave (again) they said "No"

The system in Central of BKK is better than the outskirt of BKK. kha. water went away so fast, phewwwwwwwwww!!

Tonight, the area that we should watch out are Ladproa, Taweewathana, Jatujak, Huaykhwang.

So, it will arrive Huaykhwang where my dad and mom are living now. I asked if my dad and mom wanted to leave (again) they said "No"

All of that area is relatively close to my house, especially JJ and Ladprao...Any news on how the area around the Ministry of Health is?

I bet they're better toll collectors than humans.

They are the bone collectors.

Anyway, let's see how this Gov. fuked up this country. Damage still go on and on. My friends said *** the gov. but I think it's their duty to solve the problem they made.

From Bangkok Post
Size of flood threat downscaled
Published: 30/10/2011 at 12:00 AM
Newspaper section: News

SMALLER MASS OF WATER HEADING TO CITY THAN FIRST FEARED
Published: 30/10/2011 at 12:00 AM
Newspaper section: News
Tweet
Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra believes the overall flood situation in Bangkok will improve in the next few days although floodwaters have begun to spread to fresh areas in the capital.

WASHED OUT: Water continues to surge into Don Mueang airport, raising the flood level on the runways to between 80 and 90cm yesterday and forcing the Flood Relief Operations Centre to relocate. PHOTO: PATIPAT JANTHONG

The prime minister yesterday said the volume of run-off spreading from the north of Bangkok to the capital's inner areas is less than expected, although the overall water mass is still substantial.

She said the Flood Relief Operations Centre (Froc) and the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration are working together to drain floodwaters into Khlong Thawi Wattana and Khlong Saen Saep.

324820.jpg

Stay calm. 1,000 inmates have just been released to help you.

2573069854_d1fd6d214e.jpg

[h=2]About 1,000 inmates deemed to have good-behaviour from Bangkok Central Prison have been deployed to help fix a waterworks canal embankment, the corrections director-general said Tuesday.[/h]Pol Col Suchart Wongananchai, the director general of the Corrections Department, said the inmates were sent to help the Public Works and Town and Country Planning Department repair a four-kilometre-long embankment of the Waterworks Canal in Ban Nawong area.

The inmates will rotate to work for the public works department around the clock, Suchart said.

Stay calm. 1,000 inmates have just been released to help you.

2573069854_d1fd6d214e.jpg

[h=2]About 1,000 inmates deemed to have good-behaviour from Bangkok Central Prison have been deployed to help fix a waterworks canal embankment, the corrections director-general said Tuesday.[/h]Pol Col Suchart Wongananchai, the director general of the Corrections Department, said the inmates were sent to help the Public Works and Town and Country Planning Department repair a four-kilometre-long embankment of the Waterworks Canal in Ban Nawong area.

The inmates will rotate to work for the public works department around the clock, Suchart said.

Do you believe, ppl can change????

I do, but that belief has nothing to do with this.

1,000 inmates is no small group. I'd like to know who decided to approve this program, and who says that they will be responsible when something goes wrong.

It could well be that not only have those inmates shown 'good behaviour' but are also in prison for relatively low level crimes which in some countries would have been given community disposals. Maybe this could be rolled out in the aftermath of the floods when there will be a lot of repairs needed? Inmates with a short time left on their sentences or who are in for petty crime could have their sentences commuted to 'community service'.

...sponsored by Toxin of course.

It could well be that not only have those inmates shown 'good behaviour' but are also in prison for relatively low level crimes which in some countries would have been given community disposals. Maybe this could be rolled out in the aftermath of the floods when there will be a lot of repairs needed? Inmates with a short time left on their sentences or who are in for petty crime could have their sentences commuted to 'community service'.

...sponsored by Toxin of course.

This group was probably selected pre-flood...hopefully at least. What blows me away is that they turn away dudes who are trained for circumstances like this while letting inmates out to stack sandbags.

Khlong Prapa dyke gets popped

!!

Ulit Makmaitri, Metropolitan Waterworks Authority assistant governor, told TV news that earlier tonight, ill-intentioned residents covertly destroyed sandbag dyke on Don Mueng side at 17 points about 1 metre breach for each spot.

Right now, MWA receives help from Pakkret Municipality and Corrections Department sending personnel and equipment to repair the damaged spots. The work should be finished tomorrow.

Mr Ulit begged for unstanding from the local residents that destroying the dyke would worsen tap water quality and quantity as the WMA has to lower production to make sure the water is up to WHO standard.

He also calls on the police to patrol the dykes along Khlong Prapa, especially at night.

This group was probably selected pre-flood...hopefully at least. What blows me away is that they turn away dudes who are trained for circumstances like this while letting inmates out to stack sandbags.

Surely they would not be stupid enough to release high risk prisoners. Most countries use something called LSI-R ( Level of Service Inventory Revised) to assess the risk of people re-offending and how much harm they pose. Unsure if Thailand uses it, but they should have that or something similar. I do hope they have kept the murderers in and released the shoplifters, but knowing Thai bureaucracy...