..... but its teaching!!!

A country that obviously are in desperate need for qualified english teachers, that time after time announce "better teachers are going to bring better education into thai schools" - should realize that 40,000.- is really not a lot to leave a great teachers position in UK, US or Australia for... To be honest I was a bit surpriced to see that it is "standard" salary...

A country that obviously are in desperate need for qualified english teachers, that time after time announce "better teachers are going to bring better education into thai schools" - should realize that 40,000.- is really not a lot to leave a great teachers position in UK, US or Australia for... To be honest I was a bit surpriced to see that it is "standard" salary...

Depends on where and whether or not they have actual teaching credentials. Obviously BKK is going to command a higher price than out in the middle of nowhere. But I know some teachers who make 100,000+ a month. But they have actual degrees and prior teaching experience.

For public schools, they can't afford that so they hire anyone who purchased a certificate off of KSR. But many of the higher end private schools do pay well.

Depends on where and whether or not they have actual teaching credentials. Obviously BKK is going to command a higher price than out in the middle of nowhere. But I know some teachers who make 100,000+ a month. But they have actual degrees and prior teaching experience.

For public schools, they can't afford that so they hire anyone who purchased a certificate off of KSR. But many of the higher end private schools do pay well.

yep ... but this job would appear to be for "an english teacher" which generally doesn't need a "proper teaching degree".

the requirement for this job is a "TEFL" which i think only takes about 6 weeks to complete !!

im a south african coming to thailand in october on a teacher job.

how it works: you do a 4 week tesl course( either online or in thailand), and then there is a 2 week orientation course about thai culture in hua-hin.

Salary: depends on the school that hires you but ranges 30000 tb - 40000 tb.

Funny thing, advertizes that 40000 is a king's salary but sound like you guys are saying that is average. is average for all thailand or average for foreigners? im about to start my tesl course online, so is 40000 tb worth it?

or are they @#$%-ing with me?

how it works: you do a 4 week tesl course( either online or in thailand), and then there is a 2 week orientation course about thai culture in hua-hin.

Funny thing, advertizes that 40000 is a king's salary but sound like you guys are saying that is average. is average for all thailand or average for foreigners? im about to start my tesl course online, so is 40000 tb worth it?

40,000 is average for a foreign teacher's salary. Hopefully they will also give you a housing allowance as well. If you don't go out too often, and don't drink a lot of alcohol, you should be fine on 40,000 a month. They aren't fucking with you, but 40k is not a king's salary.

Many teachers also do a bit of private tutoring for extra cash.

• 1 month later...

As I was told by my wife (a teacher), schools are less and less willing to hire TEFL-teachers, they now require a full degree in education. TEFL-teachers may still have chances via agencies but you never know which schools they offer, so you might end up somewhere in the pampas.

So as it is now end of October and you probably will have arrived in Thailand, what's your experience?