Get Involved or Not?

FarangFarang

I was reading the tale of a fellow farang who happened to hear some screaming and fighting as he was walking back to his apartment one night. He followed the sound and found a Thai girl and her Thai boyfriend engaged in some sort of fight in the Thai guy's car.

Mr. Farang felt he should do something so he pulled the Thai guy off of the girl. The girl had a bloody lip and was crying.

A security guard from Mr. Farang's apartment building came out and started talking to everyone.

He told Mr. Farang to go home, this was none of his business, and that the Thai boy's father was a cop so there was nothing for him to worry about. He also warned Mr. Farang that he's lucky the Thai boy doesn't press charges for assault (when he pulled the boy off the girl). When Mr. Farang pressed the issue the guard told him that he doesn't understand Thai culture and it's none of his business.

So, the question is, would you involve yourself in a domestic dispute between two Thais? Why or why not?

If two Thais are fighting, I'd typically stay the hell away. Even if it's a girl, I might just try to use words to calm the guy down. I know it sounds messed up to not do anything, but this is Thailand...Thais have a different way of doing things, and I'm not superman. Nor am I willing to mess up my family's life to get involved in a domestic dispute.

That being said, I saw the same situation before. Guy was slapping around his girlfriend on a road near Huay Kwang market. I was walking Yoma by them and made Yoma start barking trying to pull away towards the couple (to greet and kiss them). This was good because it didn't look like I was the one trying to get in between, and it resulted in the guy driving off with the girl on the back. At least it stopped for that moment.

Getting in between two Thais fighting is stupid unless someone's life is in danger. Even then I'd think twice.

Not just a Thai thing imo. Many years ago, on way home from pub, saw a guy battering 7 shades out his gf. My friend and I rushed over and pulled him off. Next minute they both started attacking us and she was more vicious than him!

That said, would intervene here but over there would be worried about the whole police/other Thai thing

Not just a Thai thing imo. Many years ago, on way home from pub, saw a guy battering 7 shades out his gf. My friend and I rushed over and pulled him off. Next minute they both started attacking us and she was more vicious than him!

That said, would intervene here but over there would be worried about the whole police/other Thai thing

yeah... getting in the middle of a couple can put a different twist on it.

My only experience is a couple of times when older "street bums" were harassing little girls (12 years old or so)

no hesitation there ! had to chase the Son of a ***** off ( and other stranger - to me - stood beside me too)

cannot abide anyone getting pummeled in public --- difficult to choose with adults

I did it...

I was sitting with my girl in Pomodoro (used to be near Suk soi 5) having some pasta - about 4pm.

From outside we heard some shouting (from a farang) and some ghastly screaming from a Thai girl. Looking down the road we could see a Thai guy dragging a woman up the street by her hair. The farang guy shouted at him to stop but he didn't.

I left my meal at the table and walked out of the restaurant. I arrived just in time to catch the guy's arm as he had started beating the girl. He looked shocked and I told (in Thai) him to let go of the girl. He stopped.

I asked what was going on. He told me he was her brother and he was taking her back home to see her mother. The girl denied it, saying he wasn't her brother.

Knowing that this could take some time, I said we'd take a walk up to Soi 4 and talk to the police at the traffic box and they could sort it out. As we started up the road, the guy grabbed the girl's hair again - as though she needed to be dragged everywhere. And she started screaming again.

I told him to stop again. We took another couple of steps and he grabbed her again. This time, I shouted (in English) "Stop, touching the ******* girl! NOW!"

As soon as I did this, he dropped on the floor onto his knees and waied me... Totally ******* embarrassing. I told him to get up again and walked them down the road until I saw a policeman. I explained what had happened and went back to finish my pasta.

The staff in the restaurant said I was 'a good man' for helping the girl. My girlfriend thought I was awesome because I didn't run or break a sweat... 'Just like in the movies.'

But she told me that she listened to the gossip from the bystanders watching the event. Apparently, the girl was a hooker, I was her customer, the Thai guy was her pimp and I'd refused to pay them. There must have been a couple of hundred people stopped and watching - 4pm on Sukhumvit Road? Came to a standstill while they invented a story that didn't fit the circumstances at all.

Would I do it again? Absolutely. Every time.

I once saw a gang beating four guys to death (probably) at Songkran in Chiang Mai. These poor fuckers were stripped naked and a gang of thugs were beating their bodies with long wooden sticks. They weren't even twitching anymore. It was right at the top of the moat at 9pm with 500 people watching from their cars and from the pavements. I was on my motorbike, saw it and rode on without stopping.

It stayed with me for a long time. I still feel like I should have done something.

I did it...

I was sitting with my girl in Pomodoro (used to be near Suk soi 5) having some pasta - about 4pm.

From outside we heard some shouting (from a farang) and some ghastly screaming from a Thai girl. Looking down the road we could see a Thai guy dragging a woman up the street by her hair. The farang guy shouted at him to stop but he didn't.

I left my meal at the table and walked out of the restaurant. I arrived just in time to catch the guy's arm as he had started beating the girl. He looked shocked and I told (in Thai) him to let go of the girl. He stopped.

I asked what was going on. He told me he was her brother and he was taking her back home to see her mother. The girl denied it, saying he wasn't her brother.

Knowing that this could take some time, I said we'd take a walk up to Soi 4 and talk to the police at the traffic box and they could sort it out. As we started up the road, the guy grabbed the girl's hair again - as though she needed to be dragged everywhere. And she started screaming again.

I told him to stop again. We took another couple of steps and he grabbed her again. This time, I shouted (in English) "Stop, touching the fucking girl! NOW!"

As soon as I did this, he dropped on the floor onto his knees and waied me... Totally fucking embarrassing. I told him to get up again and walked them down the road until I saw a policeman. I explained what had happened and went back to finish my pasta.

The staff in the restaurant said I was 'a good man' for helping the girl. My girlfriend thought I was awesome because I didn't run or break a sweat... 'Just like in the movies.'

But she told me that she listened to the gossip from the bystanders watching the event. Apparently, the girl was a hooker, I was her customer, the Thai guy was her pimp and I'd refused to pay them. There must have been a couple of hundred people stopped and watching - 4pm on Sukhumvit Road? Came to a standstill while they invented a story that didn't fit the circumstances at all.

Would I do it again? Absolutely. Every time.

I once saw a gang beating four guys to death (probably) at Songkran in Chiang Mai. These poor fuckers were stripped naked and a gang of thugs were beating their bodies with long wooden sticks. They weren't even twitching anymore. It was right at the top of the moat at 9pm with 500 people watching from their cars and from the pavements. I was on my motorbike, saw it and rode on without stopping.

It stayed with me for a long time. I still feel like I should have done something.

I hope you learned your lesson. Next time pay your hooker or else you'll get another deep wai.

Good on you I guess. I don't think I would have done it. I just hope that it works out well like this each and every time.