Anyone ever been to Africa?

LudwigVonMises

Yes.....But not to any of the good bits....

Nigeria....Congo-brazzaville....Equatorial Guinea....Angola...Egypt...

Take your anti malarials....use mosquito repellent....don't shag anything

don't look wealthy.....don't get pissed and wander around....carry a book to pass the time when waiting.....don't be in a hurry.......don't get ripped off by bogus taxi drivers....

Most people very friendly....not as bad as often made out in the press...

Ohh and forgot...there's no way the Egyptians built those pyramids...lol

Ohh and forgot...there's no way the Egyptians built those pyramids...lol
Yeah the way that place works, there isn't even a snowball's chance in Hell they built them.

But... the people who built the pyramids are ethnically distinct from the majority of modern Egyptians, who are Arab/Semitic. (Semitic is not the same as Jewish.) At least, I remember reading that in something while I was there. So, though they like to take credit for the pyramids and so on, most modern Egyptians' roots in Egypt go back no further than the Arab expansion through North Africa after Mohammed, which is at least 3000 years after the period associated with the construction of the pyramids at Giza, Sphinx, etc.

So you don't need aliens to explain what on the surface seems impossible ;)

--Ling

Is malaria an issue in South Africa?

only in the kuger park......

for the health/safety conscious and paranoid...you have little to worry about in S.A either........we drink water straight from the tap (faucet) and so can you , the hospitals/health care etc are on the whole excellent......the road network is fantastic...and due to a crack down on speeding (bastards traffic cops wont even take bribes anymore)...pretty safe (far far better than thailand for example)

added bonuses are...almost everyone speaks english at a high level and tourist scams etc are extremely rare (south african people are quite proud and I might get a few guffaws for this ...but very unlikely to stoop to this ) , its cheap and a huge vaqriety of cuisines are available with excellent restuarants comparible to anywhere i have been .....(steak and red wine lovers will be "the promised land" quality and price wise..for those not int he know...the south african wine lands are spectacular in beauty ...as well as being in high quality in wine )....also to thise of "refined" taste....the "spa" and hotels are brillaint with service levels, general luxury and facilities far surpassing what you could expect in europe ....and far more reasnoble prices...

anyone interested in doing group golf touring in S.A should chat to me...as my old man is expanding into this industry...

I have visited Marrocco. It was fantastic. I love the scent of their markets and the sounds of their Zocos (bazaar). And Marrocco has a fantastic beachs, but there aren't tourists in their beachs, yet.

And I know the city of Ceuta, called "The Pearl of the Mediterranean" in the North of Marrocco. It's another beautiful city with mixed cultures.

Just noticed this thread and am responding from Libya.

Whilst there are a few interesting places in Africa, I can categorically say that Libya is not one. It can best described as the armpit of the world.

Ricsenro talks about the lovely scent of the moroccan markets, well here the markets smell of open sewers and rotting animals.

It is amazing how a country can be surrounded by so many culturally rich places (Egypt, Tunisia, Morocco), yet have nothing itself. If you ever get the chance to visit, don't bother.

Is malaria an issue in South Africa?

only in the kuger park......

for the health/safety conscious and paranoid...you have little to worry about in S.A either........we drink water straight from the tap (faucet) and so can you , the hospitals/health care etc are on the whole excellent......the road network is fantastic...and due to a crack down on speeding (bastards traffic cops wont even take bribes anymore)...pretty safe (far far better than thailand for example)

added bonuses are...almost everyone speaks english at a high level and tourist scams etc are extremely rare (south african people are quite proud and I might get a few guffaws for this ...but very unlikely to stoop to this ) , its cheap and a huge vaqriety of cuisines are available with excellent restuarants comparible to anywhere i have been .....(steak and red wine lovers will be "the promised land" quality and price wise..for those not int he know...the south african wine lands are spectacular in beauty ...as well as being in high quality in wine )....also to thise of "refined" taste....the "spa" and hotels are brillaint with service levels, general luxury and facilities far surpassing what you could expect in europe ....and far more reasnoble prices...

anyone interested in doing group golf touring in S.A should chat to me...as my old man is expanding into this industry...

Thanks.

I've been to the following places in Africa: Rep. of Congo, Ghana, Kenya, Tanzania, Malawi, Uganda, Angola, Namibia, Lesotho, Nigeria, South Africa, Madagascar.

The best: Madagascar, Kenya, Tanzania, S. Africa

Madagsacar has some of the most breath-taking scenery/nature I have ever seen. I wish I had another week or more there, especially to visit the beaches.

The worst: Nigeria, Malawi, Angola

I have enjoyed all my visits to Africa, even the places I list as worst, those are mostly due to either an overall feeling of despair to the place or feeling unsafe.

Talking about Africa... I just knew that Egypt is in Africa . . .

I always misunderstand that Egypt is in somewhere around Middle East...

Stupid Me!!! :cry:

Well not quite so stupid you :wink: Culturally most of North africa has far closer cultural affinities with the middle east than sub saharan africa.The lingua franca is arabic and Cairo is considered the intellectual capital of islam.

Plus the Sinai, geographically speaking, is arguably part of the middle east.

• 1 month later...

Southern Africa is a terrific place to visit.

You prety much have to start in South Africa (since you'll have to fly in there) and it's a fascinating and beautiful country, as several other people have pointed out already. The Kruger Park is spectacular. I also love the wine country (Stellenbosch, etc.)

People are very friendly and it's also pretty cheap.

Namibia is spectacular. It's sort of like the Arizona of Africa, gorgeous red deserts, huge canyons, amazing rock formations - and Bavarian food!

Mozambique is a beautiful, friendly and misunderstood country. Must be those crossed AK-47s on the flag...

Haven't been to Botswana but would love to go... same for Madagascar.