Eva Air orThai Airways

marky12345

Question

22 answers to this question

I flew Thai once. They delayed the flight for 4 hours, loaded us into the plane, had us buckle in and then said the navigation system wasn't working. Sooo we were unloaded and delayed another hour or two while they fixed it.

They do not have personal T.V's - though I have flown with them only once so don't take my word for it.

you didn't say where you are flying to marky mark mark.

flying to australia with thai is one big pain in the ass, both physically and literally. no IFE (tv screen in the back of the seat), service not very good. thai are using the new aircraft to USA, A340-500 i think is the model designated to them. they have tv screens in the seats. thai say they are upgrading the other aircraft in the fleet, but they didn't say when (much the same as when the new airport in BKK will open)

don't know if i would trust EVA air. chinese aviation still has a way to go.

singapore airlines has got to be the choice just for the service and the cleanliness of the plane and the modern aircraft they are using.

any extra cost involved is worth it, you pay for what you get, as far as air travel goes. if its cheap, there is a reason for it

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/eva.htm

click on this link or stick it in your browser to read about other passengers opinions of EVA air. you can look at other airlines also. just follow the link to get to the index

i'd still rather fly singapore or emirates is great as far as IFE goes. qatar airways is another great airline also, but doha airport isn't the best.

so many options from LHR

dont fly eva......they lost one of my bags(which never turned up ever)and 6 months later i was still fighing for compensation

they gave me a claim form to fill out and then eventually offered me 20 dollars a kg(legally they have too)which was bollocks cos i claimed for nearly 60000 baht and they gave me 16000 baht which covered the cost of the case,my electric razor and a pair of jeans and very little else.......... :evil:

From the UK to BKK, EVA and Thai Airways are both direct flights.. but EVA is usually the cheaper one. Although I prefer flying arab airlines like Qatar, Etihad and Gulf Air which tend to be a lot cheaper, great cabin staff and excellent in-flight facilities.

EVA

For the same price of Thai economy class you should be able to get EVA deluxe class. Wider seats, rather nice for long flights. I've flown long haul over pacific with them before and will be doing so again soon.

TG isnt bad, just a bit overpriced for the service offered.

And Emirates and Singapore have the personal TVs in economy class.

Pam

TG is in the process of upgrading its aircraft.

The older aircraft are seriously backward - no in seat entertainment in economy, very tight seating in business and even first class. To get a feel for these aircraft simply fly on a 747 from Bangkok to Phuket.

About half the fleet (of 747s) has been upgraded but the Bangkok/Heathrow route has not. I know I flew with TG on the route in early July. This route was due for upgrade in September of last year but still nothing has materialised. If you do your homework (which I didnt - I simply assumed) you can check the layout and seating plans on the TG website.

http://www.thaiair.com/Travel_Destination_Information/Aircraft_Seatmaps/default.htm

I agree the TG staff are some of the best in the world but the planes are simply uncompetitive.

At the same price you would be crazy to choose TG over Eva.

I never flew Thai nor EVA. But heard a lot of good things abt EVA. Nevertheless, I don't care much abt which airline I take to go somewhere. The price is the most important. Last time I came to BKK I flew with Qantas and they were good and cheap. But I'm easy, a plane is just a way to go from point A to point B. And I don't care about inflight entertainment. The screens r too small anyway. What's the fun to look a blockbuster as 'Troj' on a screen of a few inches.

21ov43k.jpg

You can find more opinions on airlines, airports and so on here:

http://www.worldairlineawards.com/index.htm

.. I flew to london last time by Thai airline, quite disappointed though too many the VIPs and inflight entertainment sucks, also even short trip flying to singapore flight attendant was being impolite to chinses woman singaporian sit next to me and left me take care of her :x ..

A friend of mine flew by Emirates from UK, told it was good service and got few hours swim and do sunbath during transit at Dubai too.

If got a chance to fly to UK again will try Emirates :arrow:

Everybody has different experiences when flying. Some you win, some you lose. I've had great flights on EVA (deluxe class - like premium economy), bad food but good service on TG, appalling service on Emirates (from an Australian trolley dolly) and the legroom in BA is unacceptable in economy. Gulf region airlines almost invariably have nice modern aircraft and good crew.

You pay your money and you take your choice, always remembering that luck has a major hand in it.

Happy landings.

I am royal orchid gold card holder and fly TG a lot (Europe, US, UK, Oz, Singapore). I also use a lot of other airlines and have flown Eva.

When flying to New York from Bangkok, it's really hard to beat THAI. I would very strongly recommend premium economy which is only slightly more expensive than economy and there's a good 10-12 inches of space betweem you and the next person in a tray so you don't fight for elbow space. There is also more legroom. Their in-flight entertainment system is superb with 50 movies to choose from incliuding recent releases. Food is way above average and they use their most experienced air-hostess. And though it's a 17 hour flight, that is so much better than suffering a 6 hour hellish stopover in Narita.

STAR class, if you can upgrade is amazingly good, not the seats so much as the service. The airhotesses watch over you and if you wake up after a doze, they are kneeling beside you offering a drink, and then remembering your preferences.

As for TG from Bangkok to London or Copenhagen etc., I don't have much good to say at all. Like other posters have pointed out they have old planes, and no TV in the seat in front (horrible for a 10-12 hour flight), and food has been average.

As Robbie36 pointed out they are upgrading their fleet and when the whole long distance fleet has moved to the same standard as the New York flight they will be close to reclaiming "former glory".

Right now, unless the flight segment is using the new refurbished planes there isn't much reason to choose Thai on flying to Europe unless you are collecting STAR Alliance air miles.

Emirates is better quality for lower or the same price. Eva is the best value notwithstanding no STAR air miiles and the other problems cited.

Other reasons to fly THAI:

* I do find Thai cabin crew to be very attentive. If you dress well and speak to them politely they will go the extra mile for you. If you speak Thai well, even better. They are fed up with prima donna types in business class and low life sexpat tourists so it's not even hard to be someone they want to treat well

* If you are collecting airmiles on STAR, relaxing in the STAR lounges in Bangkok and elsewhere with their free Internet and drinks etc, is vastly better than being stressed out in the usual crap overpriced airport cafes

I am happy to hop around Europe on Ryanair and AirAsia for Singapore hops, but I remain optimistic that when the newly refurbsihed fleet is rolled out everywhere we can be happy to fly THAI for all long distance journeys.

The fact that it will never be the cheapest long haul carrier can even have some advantages, just so long as they don't get too cocky about what they charge,

Now if only the internal organization could be "refurbsihed and upgraded" so easily...

One more reason to fly THAI: They have a promotion with American Express where they offer platinum credit cards to frequent flyers on Thai. (qualification is only 80 K THB a month)

You get 1 airmile for every 25 THB you spend as well as up to 1 million THB of credit on your card.

Between frequent flying and sticking company expenses on a card like this, it makes THAI a lot cheaper than seems at first...

Both flights are direct and the same price which is good i am just wondering who has best inflight service.

If only Singapore flew direct.

once you flew singapore airlines, all other will disappoint you.

service on thai and eva ar equal, i'd prefer eva because of the evergreen deluxe class

go for eva if u wanna eat noodles for the whole time ....

ham sandwhiches, nuts, cheeserolls, meals ain''t too bad, unlimited (soft)-drinks

they serve you nothing else, plus ... no secound round drink.....

flying AMS-BKK vice versa a dozen times and i have really nothing to complain about the service. allthough once i had a bit dated movie program