Bomb in Bkk

dannyboy

I even ignore TV news nowadays, too much headache if I follow everything.. It makes me depressed and stressed out.

I just know in detail from here about this.. I heard a bit when I turned telly on few hours ago.

One of the things that depresses me is the lack of interest in and critique of the political process. Sure everyone knows the political personalities, this is the country where the cult of personalities prevails after all, but few seem to really have a sense of engagement with the political process and the importance of independent state intitutions (eg. attempts to compromise the BOT).

Fairly sad given the rich history of community politics in thailand and the diversity of civil society orgs. There has been some change with a surge of interest in the last 8 months but then the attention span is short and the engagement brief. And most punters are being subjected to Machiavallian style polarised political games.

Compare this to the activism of 20 or 35 years ago. The concerns about who is in charge may be just as great as back then, those in power are just are not in uniform now, but they are just as thuggish, self interested and motivated by money grabbing politics. Bleeding the state coffers dry to repay their electoral 'debts' and build their own power base for the future.

Most seem more interested in watching the daily soaps and coverting a new mobile. Such apathy is not unique to Thailand of course. However, given that the current political power struggle taking place now will be going on for years and will only most likely intensify, then increased engagement and ownership of the political process now may avoid a more divisive and potentially violent power struggle in the future.

A good dose of widespread, community based civic education seems well overdue. (The obvious is that would undermine the established political power bases.)

Logical. Rational. And yes, could be depressing too. But in a country where most people learn by rote, rather than analysis, reason, rational debate or any deep thinking...and ONLY just to pass or get to next level to get a job.... and then they will promptly forget everything they learnt... its perhaps a bit of a stretch to now expect those same people to start analyzing, debating and thinking about the current situation. Most people will shrug their shoulders and say "what can I do?... Its not my problem."

And to be honest, do the majority of thai political/social elites WANT the poorer classes to start thinking? I highly doubt it...

^We all know that this is true as most politicians anywhere do not the electorate to really start thinking. And we also know where the power base of the TRT/PPP stems from and why.

But Marc with respect, your response is perhaps disregarding the fact that in the past, from my persepective and I may be wrong here, that there was a greater degree of critical analysis of politics. And definatey more activism and greater community civic participation and AT a time where education standards and opportunities where not as great as now (even perhaps in 73 when the govt was smashing many community orgs). So whilst what you express is mostly true, I agree that the fundamental learning framework is seemingly very limiting, it perhaps ignores the history and the latent potential that still does exist, we see that potential pop up in cycles.

It is a long term process in the context where the electorate has been intentionally neglected and 'dumbed down' by the elites but it will occur at some stage. People may say now, "what can I do" but later when their back is against the wall and choices are more stark action will be taken. Undoubtedly in the coming year we will see increased demonstrations against the govt. by interests groups seeking concessions/support as the downturn bites.

If the educated are switching off the political process to watch soaps and the latest gossip - then this is what I find particularly depressing.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on BigKus, you can hardly say Thailands economic situation is fine, your government have buried their heads in the sand and are hoping the world recession will just pass them by...... it won't, and the longer they leave it the worse it will be.

Tourism numbers are down.

The Kings 80+

All of these factors contribute to a dark few years to come.

It effects me because I own property, a business and a life here.

I didnt say everything going fine here either !

But what could we do ? maoning? complain ? ranting over ? What would make Thailand better doing that ? Its not only you that have been effected !

Instead of telling me calm a f*cking sh*t down.. you better tell your farang friends that.

Apparently showing concern with the events in a person's environment is now categorized as "moaning/complaining/ranting." Thank goodness we have such a beacon to rain down enlightenment on us. Go back to banging the "pack your bags" drum.

Come on BigKus, you can hardly say Thailands economic situation is fine, your government have buried their heads in the sand and are hoping the world recession will just pass them by...... it won't, and the longer they leave it the worse it will be.

The Kings 80+

But what could we do ? maoning? complain ? ranting over ? What would make Thailand better doing that ? Its not only you that have been effected !

Instead of telling me calm a f*cking sh*t down.. you better tell your farang friends that.

calm down big kus.

keep in mind that if you didnt get this negative attention you might not have any at all

economic slowdown, tourist advisory warnings and a frail King... Thailand's future is looking very dark indeed.. I hope somebody wakes up and smells the coffee sooner rather than later.

What are you worry about, acctualy.. someone will get your white (fat) a-- hurt ??? Im sorry for you with what happened in my country and get you difficult.

May be time to pack your bag ??

by the way, when you fly back home take Karnie with you.

Nice one bigKus, you don't disappoint!

No rational thought or comment, just straight in there with the time to pack your bag line...and even a little bit of racism also just to make it that extra bit special....I like your style... :D

Sorry danny, no comment provided.

I just cant stand people who worry so much about self-difficulties ( simple word, selfish ), moaning comes first even though it affects them just nothing while most of the local people fine living their life.. what a paranoid coward !

Its not a racism there has a thai in my post, didnt you notice ??

ehhhh just because there's a thai in ur post doesn't mean it's not racism ...

but it does mean u were racist and a ***** all in one post ..... give urself a pat on the back !!!

The Kings 80+

calm down big kus.

keep in mind that if you didnt get this negative attention you might not have any at all

You can just imagine the steam coming out of her ears as she's smashing away at her keyboard...55555555

bigKus.

If you just be honest and say that you really don't like foreigners in Thailand and that those who live there must not in any way, shape or form have an opinion on any Thais issues of the day then I would wholeheartedly respect you a lot more.

There is only one thig more dangerous than a rascist and a bigot. One that hides the fact!

She can hardly be blamed for regurgitating the same bullshit she's been spoon-fed since she was an infant... "Fat whitey say bad thing about Thailand, you tell him 'You no like Thailand, you go home you country". Okay, now drink you formula."

If you want to keep cool, dont attact my personality M&M ! its not man.. and I m frustrated !

I'm not attacking you. It's the standard response in this country to ANYTHING to do with negativity, constructive criticism, or just straight personal preference. I've been asked if I like thai food and given the "Why you come Thailand? Why you not back you own country" line after answering that it wasn't my favorite kind of food... How f*cking RETARDED is that? I guess one of the conditions for accepting a visa to Thailand is that a farang must love EVERYTHING about this country. I can understand someone sitting there pissing on and on about everything in Thailand being bad like an ineffectual loser and then telling said person so "piss off"... But using the "go home" line for something as simple as not liking thai food... Come on...!!!! Plus it just sounds stupid.

I saw you mentioned 'she' in your first 'entry' comment here, didnt you?.. and I wouldnt concern with your tough life facing 'go home' line, sorry. But if you read more carefully without any bias / attitude you would see that i didnt chasing anybody back home. He/she can goes live anywhere else which they think there having bright future.

What i would like to see that, think a little bit before post, I would not give a damn care if you live outside thailand, but as long as you still move your fat (white, red whatever!) around what i require is just think a little bit.

She can hardly be blamed for regurgitating the same bullshit she's been spoon-fed since she was an infant... "Fat whitey say bad thing about Thailand, you tell him 'You no like Thailand, you go home you country". Okay, now drink you formula."

If you want to keep cool, dont attact my personality M&M ! its not man.. and I m frustrated !

I'm not attacking you. It's the standard response in this country to ANYTHING to do with negativity, constructive criticism, or just straight personal preference. I've been asked if I like thai food and given the "Why you come Thailand? Why you not back you own country" line after answering that it wasn't my favorite kind of food... How f*cking RETARDED is that? I guess one of the conditions for accepting a visa to Thailand is that a farang must love EVERYTHING about this country. I can understand someone sitting there pissing on and on about everything in Thailand being bad like an ineffectual loser and then telling said person so "piss off"... But using the "go home" line for something as simple as not liking thai food... Come on...!!!! Plus it just sounds stupid.

I saw you mentioned 'she' in your first 'entry' comment here, didnt you?.. and I wouldnt concern with your tough life facing 'go home' line, sorry. But if you read more carefully without any bias / attitude you would see that i didnt chasing anybody back home. He/she can goes live anywhere else which they think there having bright future.

What i would like to see that, think a little bit before post, I would not give a damn care if you live outside thailand, but as long as you still move your fat (white, red whatever!) around what i require is just think a little bit.

Jesus H Christ! You are so ignorant on so many levels it's scary...

To say you're proficient in English, matched with your obvious disdain you show for foreigners, it makes me wonder why you even bothered to learn a foreign language in the first place...diatribes of piffle...

Yes. I used "she". It's a pronoun for a girl. That girl is you. :o I didn't say I wasn't talking about YOU... I said I wasn't "attacking" you. So if you're not "chasing anybody back home", why would you use the line "maybe it's time to pack you bags"? As far as you're concerned, that person can live "anywhere else", as long as it's not in Thailand. I'm sure that if the person was having a completely negative experience, they would leave Thailand and go elsewhere. They were EXPRESSING CONCERN. But, in your opinion, Thailand is not "their country". This country "belongs" to Thai people only.

As far as me not "thinking' before I post, I tend to agree with dannyboy. You have done LOTS of "thinking" before what you post. You're most DEFINITELY a closet racist/bigot. Then again, you have no clue what those words mean judging by your inclusion of "there's a thai person in my post" comment. And what is your obsession with "fat asses" today? Had a look in the mirror and realized that "cleaning coffee mugs and drinking leftover wine" has made the "fat train's" next stop your thighs? I'm with dannyboy. Just come out and ADMIT that you feel farang have NO RIGHT to say anything about this country. It's obvious to everyone else, why can't it be obvious to you? :roll:

Strange as this may seem, I am quite pleased with the way Thai politics is moving at present...

Suddenly many Thai people are taking an interest in what their government are doing.

There are people in the streets trying to bring about change.

There is a judicial system that for once appears to be trying to bring corrupt politicians to trial and PUNISH them ( :shock: )

It's terrible to see the violence and the hurt, but if it ushers in a new era of governance, I think it can only be good for Thailand in the long run.

Seh Daeng (the army general who had NOTHING to do with the recent bomb at the PAD camp) has just received his new posting...

Apparently he is now in charge of promoting aerobic dance at market places...

....There is a VERY clear message from 'someone' where the line is and not to cross it.

One of the things that depresses me is the lack of interest in and critique of the political process. Sure everyone knows the political personalities, this is the country where the cult of personalities prevails after all, but few seem to really have a sense of engagement with the political process and the importance of independent state intitutions (eg. attempts to compromise the BOT).

Fairly sad given the rich history of community politics in thailand and the diversity of civil society orgs. There has been some change with a surge of interest in the last 8 months but then the attention span is short and the engagement brief. And most punters are being subjected to Machiavallian style polarised political games.

Compare this to the activism of 20 or 35 years ago. The concerns about who is in charge may be just as great as back then, those in power are just are not in uniform now, but they are just as thuggish, self interested and motivated by money grabbing politics. Bleeding the state coffers dry to repay their electoral 'debts' and build their own power base for the future.

Most seem more interested in watching the daily soaps and coverting a new mobile. Such apathy is not unique to Thailand of course. However, given that the current political power struggle taking place now will be going on for years and will only most likely intensify, then increased engagement and ownership of the political process now may avoid a more divisive and potentially violent power struggle in the future.

A good dose of widespread, community based civic education seems well overdue. (The obvious is that would undermine the established political power bases.)

:roll:

Many many times I heard you guys saying thing like how sad Thai are not saying anything to show that they know or concern about what's going on in their country... Lack of interest in such serious issues etc etc...

Yes I hear you... I would not deny that many Thai are like this.

OK now? Hope you are not get more depressed..

I even ignore TV news nowadays, too much headache if I follow everything.. It makes me depressed and stressed out.

I just know in detail from here about this.. I heard a bit when I turned telly on few hours ago.

Logical. Rational. And yes, could be depressing too. But in a country where most people learn by rote, rather than analysis, reason, rational debate or any deep thinking...and ONLY just to pass or get to next level to get a job.... and then they will promptly forget everything they learnt... its perhaps a bit of a stretch to now expect those same people to start analyzing, debating and thinking about the current situation. Most people will shrug their shoulders and say "what can I do?... Its not my problem."

And to be honest, do the majority of thai political/social elites WANT the poorer classes to start thinking? I highly doubt it...

^We all know that this is true as most politicians anywhere do not the electorate to really start thinking. And we also know where the power base of the TRT/PPP stems from and why.

But Marc with respect, your response is perhaps disregarding the fact that in the past, from my persepective and I may be wrong here, that there was a greater degree of critical analysis of politics. And definatey more activism and greater community civic participation and AT a time where education standards and opportunities where not as great as now (even perhaps in 73 when the govt was smashing many community orgs). So whilst what you express is mostly true, I agree that the fundamental learning framework is seemingly very limiting, it perhaps ignores the history and the latent potential that still does exist, we see that potential pop up in cycles.

It is a long term process in the context where the electorate has been intentionally neglected and 'dumbed down' by the elites but it will occur at some stage. People may say now, "what can I do" but later when their back is against the wall and choices are more stark action will be taken. Undoubtedly in the coming year we will see increased demonstrations against the govt. by interests groups seeking concessions/support as the downturn bites.

If the educated are switching off the political process to watch soaps and the latest gossip - then this is what I find particularly depressing.

Agree totally LG, but think this is a worldwide phenomenon, not just a Thai one. Certainly from a UK perspective there is a hell of a lot less grass roots activism than there was 15-20 years ago. Young people seem to have developed a tv culture lethargy and a lot of the time don't care what's happening around them.

Even as recently as the early 90's, there was a lot of populist campaigns in the UK; anti Poll Tax, anti CJA, anti student loans, anti racism.

A lot of these causes would attract tens of thousands to marches and rallies; more recently, even with the supposed wide spread opposition to Iraq, marches were generally lucky to attract a few thousand.

I used to help organise the annual Mayday march/carnival in Glasgow. At its peak in the late 90's, we could get maybe 5 or 6 thousand out. I went to this years (my first in about 5 years) and there were maybe 800 people.

Today seems far more about 'me' than 'us' and think this is reflected in the general disinterest in politics...

I once interviewed someone doing this in Buriram. He said he was abducted and taken to a quarry where Newin Chidchob put a gun to his head and told him he would stop or be buried in the quarry.

Newin Chidchob is the right-hand man of guess who.

nuQ+LOL.jpg

Argumentum ad Hitlerum. Can always trust Loburt that eventually he pulls out his "argumentum ad Thaksinum" into ANY debate. LOL!

Even if we were discussing his mother, I bet he could somehow pull in Thaksin-card. "You know who my mum dislikes? Thaksin, he is the reason my mom wont talk to me anymore! THAKSIIIIIIIIN!!!!" (Or trust that he "poisons the well", another trusted method of Loburts...)

symtg7.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

I once interviewed someone doing this in Buriram. He said he was abducted and taken to a quarry where Newin Chidchob put a gun to his head and told him he would stop or be buried in the quarry.

ADMIN ??????

ADMIN ??????

nah...Chez does all the dirty work for admin... :lol:

Argumentum ad Hitlerum. Can always trust Loburt that eventually he pulls out his "argumentum ad Thaksinum" into ANY debate. LOL!

Even if we were discussing his mother, I bet he could somehow pull in Thaksin-card. "You know who my mum dislikes? Thaksin, he is the reason my mom wont talk to me anymore! THAKSIIIIIIIIN!!!!" (Or trust that he "poisons the well", another trusted method of Loburts...)

Almost as funny as your little fantasies about this country - and yourself.

Oh no no mister, my fantasies are funny AND dirty...http://theadulttree.com/samuel/catalog/images/PD3543-00.gif (The link does NOT contain nudity but it does contain adult language) But you are correct, they are little, the fantasies. Or the objects of my fantasies. You know, little 154 cm spinner with L cup titties in a nurse outfit...Then with my huge rod I will satsify her untill she does cartwheels just out of the sheer pleasure... :roll: Happy Friday!