Atheists have their say

Treborz

Well here are some proof i've found, if you are truly interested.... now what proof do you have as to No existance???? I'm truly interested

http://everystudent.com/wires/Godreal.html?gclid=CJOq5LzOp5kCFQudnAodtC_cpQ

where is ur proof that the flying teapot and spaghetti monster don't exist ??

or the pink f**king unicorn ???

First i never said they don't exist, i cant disprove that, why, cause i don't really care if you believe that or not...My mission is not to disprove another's faith, my mission is to embrace the difference we have and learn to work cohesively in solving the world's problems....Is there a flying teapot and spaghetti monster or a pink unicorn, i really don't care...Question is, is believing in that there is a flying teapot and spaghetti monster or pink unicorn going to help better the world around you, if not, then check your faith/religion, if believing in Thor will help better the world, hell, believe in Thor and his Hammer... it seemed like this forum was set up to not help bridge the gap but widen it...so that errors and flaw and ideas can be bashed and person beliefs be disrespected....I love my Atheist brothers and sisters, just as much as i love and appreciate my Buddhist, Muslim, Scientology and Christian siblings.....NOW I'M DONE :-)

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Practically speaking, you'll be hardpressed to find atheists who make the strong argument that god/gods absolutely can't exist. More typically, they'll say things like "the probability is near zero" or "I don't believe in stuff for which there's no evidence" or "I believe in the Abrahamic god to the same extent I believe in Thor". Even Richard Dawkins speaks in these terms.

Funny how the Luddites had a similar mentality. They would not only deny the possibility of new inventions but actually FEAR their coming to pass. The greatest faith one can have is the belief in the Almighty because you don't get "redemption" for your beliefs; proof that you were correct to live with certain principles. This allows others of no faith to propagate their fears of the unknown.

wrong !!!!!!!!!! i do believe the Luddities knew only too well the possibility of new inventions and feared them because of the impact they would have on their way of life .... although i understand that may be a bit too difficult for someone of ur limited intellect to grasp !!!

funnily enough most ppl that i know of no faith don't propagate any fears onto other ppl .... we tend to just believe this is your life, live it and enjoy it !!

now ppl who believe their god is the one true god on the other hand .... r the ppl who tend to try and scare the **** out of other ppl with their promises of hell and eternal dammnation for non-believers !!! or did i miss something along the way ??

Practically speaking, you'll be hardpressed to find atheists who make the strong argument that god/gods absolutely can't exist. More typically, they'll say things like "the probability is near zero" or "I don't believe in stuff for which there's no evidence" or "I believe in the Abrahamic god to the same extent I believe in Thor". Even Richard Dawkins speaks in these terms.

Funny how the Luddites had a similar mentality. They would not only deny the possibility of new inventions but actually FEAR their coming to pass. The greatest faith one can have is the belief in the Almighty because you don't get "redemption" for your beliefs; proof that you were correct to live with certain principles. This allows others of no faith to propagate their fears of the unknown.

wrong !!!!!!!!!! i do believe the Luddities knew only too well the possibility of new inventions and feared them because of the impact they would have on their way of life .... although i understand that may be a bit too difficult for someone of ur limited intellect to grasp !!!

funnily enough most ppl that i know of no faith don't propagate any fears onto other ppl .... we tend to just believe this is your life, live it and enjoy it !!

now ppl who believe their god is the one true god on the other hand .... r the ppl who tend to try and scare the sh*t out of other ppl with their promises of hell and eternal dammnation for non-believers !!! or did i miss something along the way ??

You get no redemption sorry your stuck with a nice refreshing guinness. Hey maybe there is a God :shock:

The smallest piece of simple logic is the answer to everything. IF there was a god or gods, SOMETIME in the past tens of thousands of years SOMEBODY would have proven SOMETHING. So simple, no proof, no god/s.

Another point, this word "god", some people think "theirs" is the only one/best one. This is really (insert rude word here) thinking. Giving a so-called god human-like attributes is really pretty screwy too. Something with no gender and all powerful is hardly human-like. When you walk near an anthill do you pay attention to EVERY SINGLE ANT??? FOR EVERY SECOND OF IT'S LIFE??? No, I didn't think so. IF the word god is used to describe an idea of the universe as being self-aware or something vaguely along those lines, that's a bit more reasonable. Do you think about every cell in your body? Same for the universe.

But spirits (whatever they are) free-floating life forms? They exist and there is proof. Buddhism at least is based on a real person who was alive once, better idea than any other religion I ever heard of.

I have heard Atheism described as a religion so I want no part of it, but I support their trying to get the truth out about superstitious things like gods. :D

Care to back up your assertions about the Luddites (with links)? You could be right, but I thought they simply feared losing their jobs to machines. That wasn't entirely unjustified in the early 1800's.

As for the rest of your paragraph, could you restate? I mean, typically, believers DO expect some redemption, no? And it seems to me that the folks who are more comfortable with the "unknown" are atheists, agnostics, Buddhists, etc., and it's the Abrahamists who fear it. But I may be misunderstanding your meaning.

Regarding Thor's existence, the argument is being made on this board that you can never rule out the possibility of god/gods, so it's illogical to be an absolute atheist. Fair enough. But it would seem that most Christians, for example, rule out the existence of Allah, Thor, the FSM, etc. Not fair.

Is there a God? A topic discussed on this web site almost as often as shaven or unshaven. :shock: Some say there is no God. Others say there is a God.

Who's right? Nobody really knows, we're all guessing or hoping (or both). Everyone has their own opinion (just like we all have a*s*o*e*). The only fact: Nobocy can prove this one way or the other. You can not prove there is a God just like you can not prove there is not a god (don't give me the you can't prove a negative cr*p).

All that aside, why do people who do not believe almost always refer to it as God (capital G)?

politeness. and to distinguish God from, say, Pallas Athene (a god) or Loki (a god).

The only fact: Nobocy can prove this one way or the other. More strange, why do atheist say there 'probably' is not a God. 'Probably'? What hedging your bets just in case :roll:

why? it's obvious.

or *should* be, if you bothered to use your brain AT ALL, especially considering you answered your damned question before you asked it. i'd have expected even the special needs class to figure out it has nothing to do with hedging bets.

congratulations! you've earned the

EPIC FAIL AWARD.

some day you *might* master the obvious. i won't hold my breath though.

edit: quote box hell.

Fact still remains - YOU can not prove the existence of a god one way or the other. And I did not expect an answer as it's obvsious, but I guess you couldn't see that.

Is there a God? A topic discussed on this web site almost as often as shaven or unshaven. :shock: Some say there is no God. Others say there is a God.

Who's right? Nobody really knows, we're all guessing or hoping (or both). Everyone has their own opinion (just like we all have a*s*o*e*). The only fact: Nobocy can prove this one way or the other. You can not prove there is a God just like you can not prove there is not a god (don't give me the you can't prove a negative cr*p).

All that aside, why do people who do not believe almost always refer to it as God (capital G)? More strange, why do atheist say there 'probably' is not a God. 'Probably'? What hedging your bets just in case :roll:

u can't f**king prove there isn't a f**king massive teapot in the sky which is the fountain of all learning and wisdom .... but i ain't gonna start praying to it either !!!

if ppl r dumb enough to believe sh*t like the bible next thing we'll be believing iraq had WMD ... but surely nobody's that f**king stupid !!

This is just like flying saucers - nobody knows if they exist or not. People only speculate.

Fact still remains - YOU can not prove the existence of a god one way or the other. And I did not expect an answer as it's obvsious, but I guess you couldn't see that.

We used to need the concept of god to explain how life and humans and all that stuff came to be. Now we don't. There are good scientific explanations of almost everything that used to require god. That puts god in the bucket with fairies, unicorns and alchemy (not the same bucket as Thor though as you will see in an upcoming Marvel feature film). Any arguments that point to complicated stuff in nature to support the existence of god ultimately fail. You can believe in god if you want to (and fairies and unicorns), and no one can prove that you're wrong.

All that aside, why do people who do not believe almost always refer to it as God (capital G)?

politeness. and to distinguish God from, say, Pallas Athene (a god) or Loki (a god).

The only fact: Nobocy can prove this one way or the other. More strange, why do atheist say there 'probably' is not a God. 'Probably'? What hedging your bets just in case :roll:

why? it's obvious.

or *should* be, if you bothered to use your brain AT ALL, especially considering you answered your damned question before you asked it. i'd have expected even the special needs class to figure out it has nothing to do with hedging bets.

congratulations! you've earned the

EPIC FAIL AWARD.

some day you *might* master the obvious. i won't hold my breath though.

edit: quote box hell.

Fact still remains - YOU can not prove the existence of a god one way or the other.

not only have i never said otherwise, i've explicitly said that. repeatedly. so why point it out?

And I did not expect an answer as it's obvsious, but I guess you couldn't see that.

it IS obvious. given that it is so obvious so why do you hint toward an answer other than the obvious? well, that failed too.

since you are either unable or unwilling to get there on your own: given that no one can prove or disprove the existence of God or gods, atheists cannot, by definition, say anything but probably, unless they wanted to give up all claims of rationality. given that generally atheists claim that their atheism is based in reason, well, DUH.

so why the bit about hedging bets? are you being dishonest or just thick? or was it supposed to be funny (you see what i did there, i left you an out. when you dig yourself a hole you don't *have* to keep digging).

since you are either unable or unwilling to get there on your own: given that no one can prove or disprove the existence of God or gods, atheists cannot, by definition, say anything but probably, unless they wanted to give up all claims of rationality. given that generally atheists claim that their atheism is based in reason, well, DUH.

so why the bit about hedging bets? are you being dishonest or just thick? or was it supposed to be funny (you see what i did there, i left you an out. when you dig yourself a hole you don't *have* to keep digging).

A true atheist would say god does not exist. Not that god probably does not exist Probably being the clue :roll: A big difference between saying there is no god, and there isn't that much doubt that there is no god. One is certain the other leaves room for possiblity. So I guess I've left you an out :wink:

Well here are some proof i've found, if you are truly interested.... now what proof do you have as to No existance???? I'm truly interested

http://everystudent.com/wires/Godreal.html?gclid=CJOq5LzOp5kCFQudnAodtC_cpQ

firstly, if you had even the faintest whiff of how reason works, you would know that one in principle cannot prove that something doesn't exist. in other words, your question is innately stupid and/or dishonest.

secondly, i looked at the essay you cite. it is propaganda. if you are unable to distinguish between FACT and OPINION you are too stupid and/or dishonest to play with the adults.

Before you start throwing words like stupid or dishonest, consider what you are saying:

1. In principle one cannot prove that something doesn't exist????~ Firstly, what has me perplexed is how you seem to be the only individual in the world among scholars who feel this way.

urm. i've considered what i'm saying. you most definitely can't.

Secondly, Hundreds of books, articles, and theories, are written by Atheist worldwide, attempting to clearly prove the nonexistance of God with carefully deductive and inductive reasoning.

they attempt to prove the unlikelihood of God, not prove his nonexistence. they can demonstrate fairly well that there's no concrete evidence, but otherwise it's logically impossible to prove there is no God.

The idea of someone disproving if something exist or not, is similar to someone proving/disproving if 'Atlantis' was ever really existed. It is a fair and clearly sought question that those, theist and atheist, must consider. It is no different than someone asking 'why do i believe what i believe'...to not have a clear and well sought answer is to be living with blind faith glasses.

no it isn't. can you ever hope to prove that there are no purple cats? NO. all you can do is prove that there are no known examples of purple cats, and therefore they probably don't exist. PROBABLY.

this is really, really, REALLY basic stuff. you need to get a handle on this.

2.Propaganda????~ Firstly, make sure you understand fully what propaganda is and what it is not....The cite clearly explains how a renowned former Atheist came to a conclusion based on scientific research, how individuals within the scientific community are using math and science to assist in proving the existence of God. It is not meant to "sound the troops", it is not using some type of philosophical wordage, it is not providing half truths or whole lies...The article, by means of the scientific method, shows that scientist are on the verge of proving, the existence of God.

i know what propaganda is. do you understand fully what propaganda is? most dictionaries have it as:

"the spreading of ideas, information, or rumor for the purpose of helping or injuring an institution, a cause, or a person"

that essay is about how a former atheist arrived at an opinion and it most definitely doesn't prove anything. claiming it does more than that makes you complicit in the propaganda.

A true atheist would say god does not exist. Not that god probably does not exist Probably being the clue :roll: A big difference between saying there is no god, and there isn't that much doubt that there is no god. One is certain the other leaves room for possiblity. So I guess I've left you an out :wink:

what a load of f**king bollocks !!! we can NOT say god does NOT exist, because we can't prove it. but we can say we believe god doesn't exist !!!

see unlike god botherers we like to deal in stuff called facts and evidence and proof !! but u guys just counter all that with the "faith" bullshit !!!

A true atheist would say god does not exist.

since when is it up to *you* to decide who is and isn't a "true" atheist? especially since you can't even get weakiepedia to agree with you:

Atheism is either the belief that no deity exists, the rejection of the belief that at least one deity exists, or simply the absence of this belief
Not that god probably does not exist Probably being the clue :roll: A big difference between saying there is no god, and there isn't that much doubt that there is no god. One is certain the other leaves room for possiblity. So I guess I've left you an out :wink:

you can dress up your straw man with cutesy poo smileys if you want, but it's still a straw man. the ONLY way to be certain about ANYTHING is through faith. otherwise, it's always a question of degree. of probability. to be fair, there are almost certainly (see what i did there? that's another way of saying "probably") atheists for whom atheism is a faith, but anyone who wants to claim they arrived at their atheism through reason cannot say more than "probably."

a great many atheists *i* have met (and i have met quite a few) believe that given the dearth of evidence, it is so unlikely that there is a God, one doesn't have to worry about the question. i've met people who are certain about things, and they fall into two camps: 1) people of faith, and 2) the special needs class.

do you get it yet? probably not.