International ''swine flu'' emergency

Count_Jason

English_Bob - how's the health ? have you been to another hospital to be checked or ?

The doctor said that there is no swing flu in Phuket, but English_Bob says he is pretty sure he has it after making out with a pig after training his staff one evening.

I have to respond for EB, because he is currently dealing with yellow card fever.

God, my English and typos are getting horrible. My mother would be upset.

And yes...EB needs some time to figure out how to do an opening when it's soft.

:lol: :roll: :lol:

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

English_Bob - how's the health ? have you been to another hospital to be checked or ?

The doctor said that there is no swing flu in Phuket, but English_Bob says he is pretty sure he has it after making out with a pig after training his staff one evening.

I have to respond for EB, because he is currently dealing with yellow card fever.

God, my English and typos are getting horrible. My mother would be upset.

And yes...EB needs some time to figure out how to do an opening when it's soft.

:lol: :roll: :lol:

If the Sound of a soft opening of the Club doesn't provide a big rise, EB could always open up a Dongers Family Restaurant franchise in Patong for some solid results;

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/chaser/#/videoarchive/S01E26dongers/

• 2 weeks later...
5 deaths now in Thailand and I am noticing that more people are wearing masks in BKK.

Actually, we should wear masks when we are in public places even you have normal flu. It's responsibility...

When I have flu I wear mask.. to protect myself and protect other people.

It's shame that some people think it's silly things to do.

PM: Not necessary to seal country

BANGKOK: -- It is not yet necessary to seal the country to control the spread of H1N1 flu, as recomnmended by Chulalongkorn Hospital doctors, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said on Wednesday.

However, the matter will be raised on Thursday when the cabinet meeting will consider further action such as closures of tuition schools and internet shops from which the flu was said to have spread.

The Public Health Ministry on Wednesday reported 290 addition cases of H1N1 flu, bringing up the total to 2,718 with 11 deaths.

Mr Abhisit said the government will try to keep close watch on those infected to prevent more deaths.

A committee had been set up especially to take care of four flu patients who were seriously sick, he added.

(from Bangkok Post 8/07/09)

The idea of closing borders is ludicrous - and glad the PM is not supporting it.

Also, since when do you set up a committee to look after ill patients? :?

(from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8143823.stm)

Concern over Ebola virus in pigs

A form of Ebola virus has been detected in pigs for the first time, raising concerns it could mutate and pose a new risk to humans.

Ebola-Reston virus (REBOV) has only previously been seen in monkeys and humans - and has not caused illness.

But researchers are concerned that pigs might provide a melting pot where the virus could mutate into something more menacing for humans.

The new discovery - in the Philippines - is featured in the journal Science.

However, the researchers, from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, stress that the virus at present appears to pose no risk to humans.

It has been detected in farm workers who tend the infected pigs, and they have shown no signs of illness.

However, writing in Science, the researchers said: "REBOV infection in domestic swine raises concern about the potential for emerging disease in humans and a wider range of livestock.

"There is concern that its passage through swine may allow REBOV to diverge and shift its potential for pathogenicity."

REBOV belongs to the family of filoviruses which usually target primates.

Deadly bleeding

These viruses cause viral haemorrhagic fevers, which cause extensive internal bleeding, and can be fatal.

The latest study examined tissue samples taken from pigs from different parts of the Philippines suffering from unusually severe respiratory infections.

Analysis showed that the animals were infected with widely varying strains of the virus, suggesting it may have circulated widely in pigs even before it was first discovered in monkeys exported to the US from the Philippines in 1989.

The researchers said it was possible that REBOV originally emerged in another, as yet unidentified, host. Fruit-eating bats have been suggested as one possibility.

Pigs are known to provide an ideal host for viruses to mutate. Experts say the potential risk is magnified because they are an essential part of the human food chain, and come into close contact with people.

Researcher Dr Michael McIntosh said: "We know this family of viruses are associated with fatal illnesses in humans.

"Even though there is no evidence at this time to suggest REBOV causes diseases in humans it does seem that it can infect humans, and be transmitted from swine to humans.

"The effect of such an infection on an immuno-compromised host - humans or swine - is also an unknown factor of concern."

The World Health Organization says that pork is still safe to eat, provided it is prepared and cooked properly.

:shock:

"435 Bangkok schools closed July 15-19

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration has ordered closed all of its 435 schools, 200 nurseries and 13 occupational training centres for five days from July 15 to 19 to prevent the spread of the A/H1N1 flu.

M.R. Sukhumbhand Paribatra, the BMA governor, said after a meeting of the city administrators on Tuesday that the BMA will concentrate on campaigning for the people to wear a protective mask, especially at a crowded place.

The BMA will distribute 2 million masks to the people at various crowded locations such as at the BTS electric train stations and Hua Lampong railway station. Bangkok MPs and city councillors will be asked to distribute 10,000 masks each to the people in their constituencies, he said.

Billboards to campaign for the peple to wear a mask and wash their hands will be put up at various corners of the city starting Tuesday. All community radios will also be asked to join the campaign.

The BMA also plans to close all of its school on Aug 10-11 to allow officials concerned to conduct a major clean up of the schools five days from August 8 to 12. However, this can be changed if the cabinet makes a resolution for schools to close for a clean up before this period."

Big jump in the number of deaths and confirmed cases in the last week.

I am still continuing life as normal but I see an increasing number of friends who are limiting their public life. It is going to be a long year for those seeking refugee indoors in their homes!

WHO stated last week that they expect 2 billion people will be infected with swine flu which is I guess no real cause for alarm given the same number have probably had other flu infections but I noted that they didn't seem to divulge projected fatality rates.

Flu death toll rises to 65 BangkokPost.com 29/07/2009

Twenty-one more people have died of the A(H1N1) flu, bringing the country's death toll to 65, the Public Health Ministry announced on Wednesday.

Paichit Warachit, deputy permanent secretary for public health, said the total number of confirmed infections was 8,877, up from 6,776 last Wednesday, July 22, when the death toll was 44.

The Public Health Ministry announces the latest infiormation on the H1N1 flu virus, including the death toll and total number of people infected, every Wednesday.

I'm still just taking vitamin C whenever I leave the house and washing my hands often. I'm not sick yet, though I feel like I've been fighting something for a week or so.

I'm still more worried about crossing the street in Bangkok, though.

Eat your veggies and stay healthy. Your own immune system can be your best defense, unfortunately alcohol doesn't help...