Thais ok with corrupted government

Hugo

So the question is if YOU dear TFers tolerate a corrupted government if it can improve the country a  

205 members have voted

1. 1. So the question is if YOU dear TFers tolerate a corrupted government if it can improve the country a

• Yes, I can live with it
    • No, mai aow
    • I don't care, gimme a beer!
    • (Bruce' option:) I prefer free beer and a free girl from nana plaza

Wasn't sure where to post this topic, Politics or Thai Culture...

But I find this survey remarkable and like to post it here.

Thais ok with corrupted government

A latest survey reveals that many Thai people would accept a crooked government if it can make the country prosper and raise their standard of living.

The Abac Poll Research Centre conducted a survey on people's well-being, involving 1,228 households in 17 provinces nationwide.

84.5 per cent viewed that corruption in businesses would not be unusual and 51.2 per cent said they would tolerate a corrupted government if it can improve the country and their well-being.

73.9 per cent agreed that living self-sufficiently can help ease the economic crisis.

On the continuing border dispute between Thailand and Cambodia, 84.6 per cent wanted both sides to negotiate peacefully and jointly improve the regional economy. 4.8 per cent wanted either side to use force to solve the problem.

52.9 per cent supported the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship's anti-government rallies under the condition that they must be held peacefully.

16.3 per cent said they would support the UDD unconditionally. 21.1 per cent opposed the group.

By: BangkokPost.com

Published: 28/06/2009 at 12:02 PM

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/147332/thais-ok-with-corrupted-government

84.5 per cent viewed that corruption in businesses would not be unusual and 51.2 per cent said they would tolerate a corrupted government if it can improve the country and their well-being.

Not surprised in the least at those results....if anything...would have thought an even higher level of acceptance. Thai culture, like many asian cultures, prefer to shrug their shoulders and say "oh well, what can I do about it?"

Not a pretty sentiment, but if I want to be happy and content whilst living here, I too must shrug my shoulders and say "oh well, there's nothing I can do about it"

Not a pretty sentiment, but if I want to be happy and content whilst living here, I too must shrug my shoulders and say "oh well, there's nothing I can do about it"

Yeah, better than sudden pompems...

PS: Ahhhh, obviously you have chosen your own option! :winky:

That's time a stupid time wasting survey. We have been living with corrupted government since forever until we don't see anything wrong with it. Some Thai say they anti coruption but when they get stop by a traffic policeman they give some hundren bath just to avoid a ticket.

Same old ****, sweetheart, just different survey.

think the way it is worded is a bit ambiguous. Think any country would be happy with corruption in government if it made the country prosper and raised their standard of living!! It is only when the country's economy suffers or individual standards drop that people start to question what's happening at the top.

The UK is a great example; I do not believe there would have been a fraction of the furore over the MP's expenses had the economy been booming at the time, jobs were not being lost and belts having to be tightened,

:):)

i have heard many times that corruption in Thailand increases costs for ALL Thai people by up to 20% and often more. That is a much more relevant way of looking at how stupid it is to support any corruption. Som nam nah

The problem is, PeeMarc. Some Thai don't know/understand that they support corruption.

Real story.. my friend's father who lives in Pichit. He is 70 something years old recived BTH400 from a candidate for the election last time. My friend was pissed about that and she told her father not to recieve any money from them again and he shouldn't vote for the candidate. Do you know what he said? He said, he recieved the money because he was "kreng-jai" and if he dosn't vote for him, that will be morally wrong. See? That's the problem. The old man has 3 childern and all of them have good education (master degrees, PhD, and all that) but he didn't listen to what his childern have to say.

i have heard many times that corruption in Thailand increases costs for ALL Thai people by up to 20% and often more. That is a much more relevant way of looking at how stupid it is to support any corruption. Som nam nah

The problem is, PeeMarc. Some Thai don't know/understand that they support corruption.

Real story.. my friend's father who lives in Pichit. He is 70 something years old recived BTH400 from a candidate for the election last time. My friend was pissed about that and she told her father not to recieve any money from them again and he shouldn't vote for the candidate. Do you know what he said? He said, he recieved the money because he was "kreng-jai" and if he dosn't vote for him, that will be morally wrong. See? That's the problem. The old man has 3 childern and all of them have good education (master degrees, PhD, and all that) but he didn't listen to what his childern have to say.

there are 2 parts to that story. The old man receiving, and those giving money (bribe). Are you saying the candidate initiating the bribe is uneducated and ignorant too? No. Quite. I still say som nam nah to Thai people. Sorry.

there are 2 parts to that story. The old man receiving, and those giving money (bribe). Are you saying the candidate initiating the bribe is uneducated and ignorant too? No. Quite. I still say som nam nah to Thai people. Sorry.

Nope, I didn't say that. PeeMarc. I don't think the candidate is ignorant, on the other hand, he is damn smart in cheating his way up to the parilmant.

It's OK to say that too PeeMarc. I don't feel offended by it even tho' it's quite strong words but sometime we need to hear that.