10 Greatest boxers of all time

GoodKarma

The other day I was watching some old Youtube footage of old boxing fights I thought this would make a great post on TF and bring up some great discussion so I decided to come up with a top 10 list

These are my top 10 boxers not of all time but of our time I compiled my list and based my decision not on popularity of the boxer but the boxers with statistically sound boxing records they are from various weight classes - lightweight, welterweight, middleweight or heavyweight boxers pound for pound that had the ability to land a knockout punch from the first round to the last round.

I am a boxing fan and if you have no comment then I take it you agree with me and all of my choices. if you have a favorite that I did not mention please speak up and you must supply their record statistics and give a reason why they should rank on the list.

ps: I know this looks like a post for the guys - but ladies you are welcome to reply as well.

Ok true boxing fans have at it!!! :twisted: :twisted:

1 - (Sugar) Ray Robinson 179 wins, 19 losses, 6 draws, 2 no contests, 109 KO's

2 - Muhammed(The Greatest) Ali or the (Louisville Lip) - won 56 Lost 5, 37 KO's

3 - Julio Cesar Chavez - Won 104 Lost 5, 2 draws, 80 KO's

4 - Joe (Brown Bomber) Louis - Won 68 Lost 3, 54 KO's

5 ? Roy Jones Jr - 49 wins, 3 losses, 38 KO's

6 - Archie Moore - 181 wins, 24 losses, 9 draws and 1 no contest, 145 KO's

7 - (Marvelous) Marvin Hagler - 62 Wins, 3 Losses, 2 Draws, 52 KO's

8- Rocky Marciano - Won 49 Lost 0, 43 KO's

9 - (Big) George Foreman - Won 76 lost 5, 68 KO's

10 - Mike Tyson - 50 wins, 5 losses, 2 no contests, 44 KO's

Honorable mentions:

- (Sugar) Ray Leonard - 36 Wins, 3 Loss, 1 Draw, 25 KO's

- Lennox Lewis - 41 wins, 2 losses, 1 draw, 32 KO's

- Max Schmeling - 42 wins,3 losses, 3 draws

- Roberto (hands of stone) Duran - 103 Wins, 16 Loss, 69 Knockouts

- Floyd Mayweather Jr - 32 Wins, 0 Losses, 21 Knockouts

- Evander (Real Deal) Holyfield - 38 Wins, 7 Losses, 2 Draw, 25 KO's

- (Smokin?) Joe Frazier - 32 wins, 4 losses, 1 draw, 27 KO's

- Bernard Hopkins - 45 wins, 2 losses, 1 draw, 1 NC, 32 KO's

- Ray Mancini (Boom Boom) -29 wins, 5 losses, 23 KO's

Picture below is Ali's KO of Sonny Liston A.K.A 1965

0789209039.interior01.jpg

baseball is for overpaid hicks, I call you p*ssy because it's funny. You. are funny because you are so serious. CHILL OUT. now go chase a mouse or something

the guy from goodfellas is a popular fella his name is pu**y too - not serious dude just like my sports you know how serious the world gets about european football wars have been stopped for matches and riots stadiums torn up from loses etc...if you want to insult a guy talk about their sport etc.. so do you see my point..besides tom and jerry are in re - runs now same ole chases no new scenes..take it easy bakseeda

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for mentioning Ray, a great guy with a big heart, and one of the very few soccer dads I could count on not to embarrass us.

you are welcome - he came to mind when I was in Italy I was in a small shop I told the owner I was from the US the small shop owner mentioned boom boom mancini. I agree with you mancini is a great guy and very personable. his fight with the korean boxer in my oppinion changed boxing forever. something like that has to have an impact on a boxers psyche im sure...the incident was a fluke if you ask me. too bad it had to happen to boom boom.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2007/11/18/2007-11-18_boom_boom_mancinis_life_changed_after_tr.html

1. Don Diego Poeder

ddp.jpg

2.Regilio Tuur

1237455205431_tuur4_3.jpg

3. ....no, that's about it

They weren't the greatest, international they weren't great at all but at least they're Dutch ;)

I prefer K1 since that league includes kicking and kneeing andis dominated by the Dutch. Thai boxing is sweet as well, which Thai person who likes Muay Thai doesn't know this guy...

207067307_4_dD85.jpeg

I agree R win - I like the kneeing and kicking aspect in the ring as well. the UFC gives that aspect and also boxing and wrestling as well. one thing about the wrestling aspect of UFC it makes the matches very fast usually not lasting more than 2 rounds.

the jujitsu royce gracie who dominated his old matches are very entertaining to watch the guys he fought usually tapped out in within 15 minutes or so. of course my dad loves old school boxing and thinks the new forms of ring sports are not formidable.

Not that I know too much about Muay Thai boxing I would love to hear what TFer's think there top 10 fighters are?

hey treborz - try to repost dude some reason im no able to see all of your post

thx

I think you can see it all.

Anyway all jokes aside....why isnt Manny Pacquiao on your list?

Total fights 54

Wins 49

Wins by KO 37

Losses 3

Draws 2

manny_pacquiao.jpg

and Juan Manuel Marquez

Total fights 55

Wins 50

Wins by KO 37

Losses 4

Draws 1

juan_manuel_marquez.jpg

thx for reposting treborz -

I agree with your choices thx for sharing - all are great pound for pound boxers - do you follow lightweight category much. they should be on the honorable mention list - no bias here just cramped for space a lot of great boxers had to keep this list within reason. some would argue floyd mayweather another excellent boxer should be in the top 10 list. even smokin joe frazier...marquez and mayweather have a rematch fight scheduled in sept that im looking forward to seeing.

I really created this post to see if any other true boxing fans on TF would give there picks not too much boxing sports discussed on TF - treborz feel free to give your top 10 list....

Well i'd be bias and my top 10 list would include Ricky Hatton and Joe Calzaghe but they probably arent worthy of it.

Yes i'm not so much of a heavyweight fan at the moment as i find it a little boring but David Haye is bringing some excitement to the category.

I think at least Vitaly Klitschko should be in your list and special mentions to his brother and Valuev/Chagaev.

Im only 27 so a lot of those in your list i never had the privilege to wacth but their records speak for themselves.

Well i'd be bias and my top 10 list would include Ricky Hatton and Joe Calzaghe but they probably arent worthy of it.

Yes i'm not so much of a heavyweight fan at the moment as i find it a little boring but David Haye is bringing some excitement to the category.

I think at least Vitaly Klitschko should be in your list and special mentions to his brother and Valuev/Chagaev.

Im only 27 so a lot of those in your list i never had the privilege to wacth but their records speak for themselves.

A lot of the bouts I seen either from my dad who has a lot of the fights recorded..there is also a lot of footage on youtube you are right a lot of foucus is either on the UFC or lightweight division. Iron Mike actually has tainted the heavyweight division with his antics great fighter but rather bizarre behaviour for a human let alone a fighter.

yep very good eye I must add... Vitaly Kitschko is good he has a solid jab definitely knockout caliber. also has very good fighting technique very patient waits for the right opportunity to counter puch.. A lot of people say he would have won the lennox lewis fight if he didn't get the serious cut. I remember watching that fight with my dad.. lewis was actually booed..I believe Kitschko definitely won it by points. but you know how the judges can be toward the underdog.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ricky Hatton fought 2 top class boxers .... got beat twice !!

Joe Clazaghe "could" have been an all time great, but we'll never f**ing know.

whether it was Fat Frank Warren not wanting to kill the golden goose or the top boxers avoiding him he never fought the guys at the top until they were past it ..... being the undefeated WBO champion for 9/10 years while good is NOT great .... Carl Froch took a bigger risk in his 1st defence than Joe did in his entire f**king career !!

Lennox Lewis (IMO) has a much better record (despite 2 losses) than either of those 2 .... and the top guys DID avoid him !!!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ricky Hatton fought 2 top class boxers .... got beat twice !!

Joe Clazaghe "could" have been an all time great, but we'll never f**ing know.

whether it was Fat Frank Warren not wanting to kill the golden goose or the top boxers avoiding him he never fought the guys at the top until they were past it ..... being the undefeated WBO champion for 9/10 years while good is NOT great .... Carl Froch took a bigger risk in his 1st defence than Joe did in his entire f**king career !!

Lennox Lewis (IMO) has a much better record (despite 2 losses) than either of those 2 .... and the top guys DID avoid him !!!

That's why i said id be bias as Ricky Hatton is my favourite boxer so would be in my list but definitely shouldn't be as you correctly point out. He got found out when he came up against real class and refused to change his style or adjust in any way whatsoever.

You mention Carl Froch....while he isnt getting any younger he definitely is worthy of a mention and is up there.