New Car in Thailand

Admin_2

I bought a new car in 2002. Now I mostly use it to store my golf clubs cuz my condo is so small. I also use it to pick up from and send people to the airport and to go to my condo at Jomtien

It's a Toyota Soluna and I have had NO problems with it other than a flat tire when I was driving to Khao Yai a few years ago.

Maybe I can rent it to you for a year and if you like it, you can buy it.

Can you drive manual?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know much about buying a car here in Thailand, but I'm beginning my studies by buying a 70 baht magazine and asking everyone here.

Basically...I have a baby on the way, and my days taking taxis are going to decrease drastically. I'd prefer a new car only because I don't trust anything else here (maybe someone on TF can change my mind). The problem is I have about 150-200k baht to deposit on a car, so buying a new car with cash is out of the question.

Buying a used car isn't completely out of the question, but I'm a newbie when it comes to this (I trust a new car). My first instinct is to put 200k down on a new Honda Civic and make monthly payments.

That's where I'm at. Any help?

I'm just about to buy a new car myself. I've done the research and a lot of the legwork, so I'll give you my opinion.

Nothing wrong with a second hand car, but I'd go for one that's still under factory warranty. Normally, the golden rule is to never buy a depreciating asset on loan. However, assuming that interest rates in Thailand are low and nothing like here in Oz, I'd personally go for a brand new car.

In terms of quality and value for money, the Japanese make the best cars, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The Honda Civic is made in Thailand, so I'd go for a Toyota Corolla as it's made in Japan, similar price tag but the Corolla will give you many more years trouble free. Honda also manufacture the Accord in Thailand, but the Honda Accord Euro, is manufactured in Japan :wink:

Toyota, have gone the other way to Honda by manufacturing more cars at home. It might cost them a little more to manufacture in Japan, but they save in the long term as they get fewer repairs under factory warranty.

For me personally, I've narrowed the list down to the Toyota Corolla and the Hyundai i30. The only thing holding me back with the latter is that it's made in Korea. That lack of confidence is almost offset by their 5 year factory warranty. The i30 also comes in a 1.6L turbo diesel engine, with only 4.7L/100km,

that's going to save a bit of money in the long term.

There's also the Ford Fiesta Econetic, made in Germany, also diesel with a better 3.7L/100km. But for me, the look of the i30 is much better than the Fiesta.

I'll let you know which car I end up buying, but when it comes to cars, trust me when I say, that it does really matter where it's manufactured :P

I don't know much about buying a car here in Thailand, but I'm beginning my studies by buying a 70 baht magazine and asking everyone here.

Basically...I have a baby on the way, and my days taking taxis are going to decrease drastically. I'd prefer a new car only because I don't trust anything else here (maybe someone on TF can change my mind). The problem is I have about 150-200k baht to deposit on a car, so buying a new car with cash is out of the question.

Buying a used car isn't completely out of the question, but I'm a newbie when it comes to this (I trust a new car). My first instinct is to put 200k down on a new Honda Civic and make monthly payments.

I'm just about to buy a new car myself. I've done the research and a lot of the legwork, so I'll give you my opinion.

Nothing wrong with a second hand car, but I'd go for one that's still under factory warranty. Normally, the golden rule is to never buy a depreciating asset on loan. However, assuming that interest rates in Thailand are low and nothing like here in Oz, I'd personally go for a brand new car.

In terms of quality and value for money, the Japanese make the best cars, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The Honda Civic is made in Thailand, so I'd go for a Toyota Corolla as it's made in Japan, similar price tag but the Corolla will give you many more years trouble free. Honda also manufacture the Accord in Thailand, but the Honda Accord Euro, is manufactured in Japan :wink:

Toyota, have gone the other way to Honda by manufacturing more cars at home. It might cost them a little more to manufacture in Japan, but they save in the long term as they get fewer repairs under factory warranty.

For me personally, I've narrowed the list down to the Toyota Corolla and the Hyundai i30. The only thing holding me back with the latter is that it's made in Korea. That lack of confidence is almost offset by their 5 year factory warranty. The i30 also comes in a 1.6L turbo diesel engine, with only 4.7L/100km,

There's also the Ford Fiesta Econetic, made in Germany, also diesel with a better 3.7L/100km. But for me, the look of the i30 is much better than the Fiesta.

I'll let you know which car I end up buying, but when it comes to cars, trust me when I say, that it does really matter where it's manufactured :P

Geez Phil what about the commodore or falcon last of the V8's I"ve had my commodore converted to LPG thanks to 747 Kev and his 2 grand bonus and had trouble free motioring since (my car is a V6) and saved a heap iby not buying petrol !!! Happy New Year Phil!!! :D:D

I save for the kids in a U-fund. It's one of those tax free vehicles where you pay no taxes on gains as long as you use it on your child's higher education. Retirement is a Roth IRA and a whole life insurance plan.

Don...that does sound interesting, though I was looking at a bit of a newer used car. I Thai googled your car and found a guy named "Ton" (µé¹) selling the same car 3 years ago for 300k...was that you?

http://www.rod-dd.com/CarDetail.php?id=CA3106

Geez Phil what about the commodore or falcon last of the V8's I"ve had my commodore converted to LPG thanks to 747 Kev and his 2 grand bonus and had trouble free motioring since (my car is a V6) and saved a heap iby not buying petrol !!! Happy New Year Phil!!! :D:D

Happy new year mate, :P

Problem with Commodore and Falcon is that they're both manufactured in Australia :lol:

They're good cars, but they're expensive. What I'm saying is that the Japanese make a better quality car for the same money.

Most people know that and that's why a second hand Toyota or Honda re-sells at a much higher price than other cars.

When buying a new car, I always place importance on re-sell value, unfortunately the value of an Australian made car drops significantly and that's because it was originally over priced.

The price of a new car is determined by the manufacturer, however the price of a second hand car is determined by the consumer in the open market.

Cheers,

Happy new year mate, :P

Problem with Commodore and Falcon is that they're both manufactured in Australia :lol:

They're good cars, but they're expensive. What I'm saying is that the Japanese make a better quality car for the same money.

Most people know that and that's why a second hand Toyota or Honda re-sells at a much higher price than other cars.

When buying a new car, I always place importance on re-sell value, unfortunately the value of an Australian made car drops significantly and that's because it was originally over priced.

The price of a new car is determined by the manufacturer, however the price of a second hand car is determined by the consumer in the open market.

Cheers,

First of all,let me say everyone is different and has different needs in a car.

I respect your views on cars and you have done your research, but it is sadly lacking in one area in particular.

If you take the purchase price of a new Falcon or Holden convert it into US$'s and go shopping around the WORLD you will come to understand that the good old Holden/Falcon gives you far more bang for you buck. In most cases you get a bigger car, in ALL cases you get a bigger engine with more grunt. You get rear wheel drive better and more comfortable seating and most of the standard features are considered as extras on overseas units.

Of the 2 cars on your to buy list only one of them has the 5 star safety rating. You research needs more work. You have a young family to think of now and a Corolla will not cut it, especially if you add to your family or want to take other extended family members with you on a trip or shopping excursion, it's simply too small.

No matter how frugal cars are the simple fact is petrol is only going to get more expensive. LPG is the way to go for the next 10 yrs or so and the savings will be astronomical.

Get a bigger car than you think you need now

Make sure it has a 5 star safety rating

Convert it to LPG and enjoy the benifits

Dont buy brand new, buy a demo unit

All the bugs are out of it and all the extras are in it

and you will save even more.

Of the 2 cars on your to buy list only one of them has the 5 star safety rating. You research needs more work. You have a young family to think of now and a Corolla will not cut it, especially if you add to your family or want to take other extended family members with you on a trip or shopping excursion, it's simply too small.

Actually, my research was adequate, but you need to assume a little less (and maybe I should be more specific).

Both the i30 and the Corolla (Conquest) have the 5-star rating.

But I just can't split the two, the Hyundai i30 SLX 5dr 1.6DT ($26,390 drive away) and the Toyota Corolla Conquest 4dr 1.8i ($25,750 drive away).

Also, I eventually plan to buy the Honda Accord Euro as our family car, so again you're assuming too much. I'm sure the Corolla or the i30 will cut it until I buy a new home (as we'll need a double garage, lol )

To give you an example of the Corolla's excellent re-sell value.

Bought one in Jan '04, $19,999 drive away (5 dr manual ascent)

Sold it in Apr '08 for $15,000.

If and when a Holden or Ford can keep that kind of re-sell value, then I'll think about buying one. Until then, I'll have mine made in Japan thanks :P

Hi Rob.

I have a Toyota Yaris. 2 years old now without any problems and the service at Toyota is perfect and cheap.

I also have a baby, with the big back-door no problems at all putting the

baby carriage in there.

If you buy a second hand car, never from private.

2 years ago the local Toyota dealer in Hua Hin did not sell used cars, but now.

Hope, i couldt help you.....a Happy New Year by the way

Hi Rob.

I have a Toyota Yaris. 2 years old now without any problems and the service at Toyota is perfect and cheap.

baby carriage in there.

Thanks for the info, Pluggy. What do you mean "never from private?"

Hi Rob.

baby carriage in there.

I think he means buy second hand through a dealer, not from a private seller in a back street!

Hi Rob.

baby carriage in there.

I think he means buy second hand through a dealer, not from a private seller in a back street!

Or from some strange craigslist character with a pickup truck!

Depend on your budget and what you want to do in a long term.

I bought new car and did not use it that much. I lost a lot of money when I sold.

My sister bought a nice second car she use it for nearly three years and she lost a little when sold. Saying that my brother mechanic so she got a reliable quality car

Shop around in Honda or Toyota or main dealers. You will get a new second hand car with guarantee...if you look through book, aim for home used car in Bkk.

avoid cars that sale at tents..

Bring your own mechanic (close to your house) to see the car or when you ring to see the car asked them to meet up at the garage near home.

Good luck.

Hello Rob

As everyone know, Toyota is definately good quality and some of the cars that break down less.

Plus I work at Toyota, so I know that when it comes to old Toyota's, there's only 1 thing that kills them, and it's rust.

Look for a Toyota Corolla from around 1992 - 1999 with less than 200.000 km on the clock and you will have a very cheap car that runs great everyday.

All upcomming expenses for you would be oil change and once every 4-5 years it would need to have changed some parts like brakes, spark plugs, etc.

Looking at an old Toyota, one of the easiest place to look for beginning rust attack is to check the bottom edge og the front doors. If it has some rust, it would most likely have rust there as well.

Old cars isn't that bad, there's less parts that can become broken, and the stuff that might break, is very cheap to replace.

considering this topic myself over the past few months. decided not to buy this year. but I did see an article about "Toyota Sure" which is a branch of Toyota dealers who sell second hand cars that they have inspected and certified are clean and there is some kind of warranty. I have not made it to one but am told there are a few around Bangkok.

Nothing is like a new car. Put 20% down on a brand new Honda Jazz. Its better than both the Mazda 2 and the Toyota Yaris when it comes to driving comfort, accessories, rattle sounds etc.

If u can afford it, go for a Civic. I just sold my 2007 Civic. Was quite happy with it, but use a lot of gas in town.

All cars have minor problems, even Japanese ones. So far my new German toy has performed nothing but perfect :D

• 2 weeks later...

The 2nd hand car market here is absolutely insane. I don't see much point in getting a nicer used car than downgrading a bit and getting a 2010.

2005 Honda Accord with 70,000 miles on it for over $20,000 USD?!! bwahahahahaaa.

I've been shopping around and it's going to be a new Honda or Toyota (Civic, City, Avanza, Vios).

And what's with no dealerships having test drive models? I had one lady with a straight face tell me "If there is a problem with the new car after you buy it, you can replace it with a new one...so you don't need to test drive."

I test out a 25,000 baht phone before I buy it...call me crazy.

The 2nd hand car market here is absolutely insane. I don't see much point in getting a nicer used car than downgrading a bit and getting a 2010.

2005 Honda Accord with 70,000 miles on it for over $20,000 USD?!! bwahahahahaaa.

I've been shopping around and it's going to be a new Honda or Toyota (Civic, City, Avanza, Vios).

And what's with no dealerships having test drive models? I had one lady with a straight face tell me "If there is a problem with the new car after you buy it, you can replace it with a new one...so you don't need to test drive."

I test out a 25,000 baht phone before I buy it...call me crazy.

ya crazy!

and so it that used market

So if you buy new it sounds like it will hold its value!

looks like a good choice on your list Rob :cheers:

I'd suggest you go new. I've had both the newer Vios and Civic and have had no problems with either. Service for both Toyota and Honda is very good in Thailand - and you can find dealers just about anywhere in the country.

The only downside to the Vios and Civic is the number of people you can transport. And, assuming you're going to use a car seat for the baby that really cuts down on seating. But in general, both get you around in relative comfort.

I used to have both new and used car. My first car was brand new, as I was still young and stupid to deal with trivial annoying problems, so I just left it to service center handle everything. When I wanted to change, I chose to trade-in with one used car. Why ? Because, used cars in Thailand are not old and outdated car anymore. But there are cars which some rich people sold just for buying newer model and many used cars are cars from the owner that cant pay off the loan installment.

Since then I become a used stuff lover, the latest one is used smart phone. :oops:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty close to getting a 2010 Honda Jazz. I don't like the looks of it that much, but it's got a lot space without being too much like driving a big box (much like the Toyota Avanza).

I just sat in the back seat of the Honda City and imagined my dog there too...his head would have to be on my lap for him to fit in there. Add in the baby, and it just doesn't make practical sense.

The Jazz is just a bit more expensive, but I think the extra space is crucial.

On a side yet relevant note...it doesn't come with a GPS Navigator installed. I'll definitely need one. Any recommendations on where to go for that?

On a side yet relevant note...it doesn't come with a GPS Navigator installed. I'll definitely need one. Any recommendations on where to go for that?

Couldnt you use the GPS as a bargaining chip? as you are buying a new car, surely they could be persuaded to throw one in. Well I would have thought so anyway.

Couldnt you use the GPS as a bargaining chip? as you are buying a new car, surely they could be persuaded to throw one in. Well I would have thought so anyway.

Tried that this morning...lady wasn't having it.

But she did give me a glass of water.

They throw in small extras like window tint/fog lights. The GPS she quoted was paaaaaeng, about 50 k baht. Hoping that others will know of some good options.

I always drive by these car stereo places on Ratchada that probably have GPS systems as well...I might have a look in there one of these days.