New Car in Thailand

Admin_2

I don't know much about buying a car here in Thailand, but I'm beginning my studies by buying a 70 baht magazine and asking everyone here.

Basically...I have a baby on the way, and my days taking taxis are going to decrease drastically. I'd prefer a new car only because I don't trust anything else here (maybe someone on TF can change my mind). The problem is I have about 150-200k baht to deposit on a car, so buying a new car with cash is out of the question.

Buying a used car isn't completely out of the question, but I'm a newbie when it comes to this (I trust a new car). My first instinct is to put 200k down on a new Honda Civic and make monthly payments.

That's where I'm at. Any help?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have come to think a WELL maintained used car is a better value...

but how to get that warm and fuzzy feeling if you don't know the seller right? ???

In the States going with a relieable model is the best first move...and Hondas are bulletproof!

Still with all the TFers in the Bangkok area...

this post should be better than Craigs-list!

Unless you've Banned or Yellow Carded them!!! ??

UH-OH you're f*cked :)) :))

Since you are money tight and have a baby coming. I recommend a second hand car. the moment you drive that car out of the dealership you lose about 13 percent already. I never like to make payment, especially on something that will depreciate. Try to pay it off within a year. Than maybe 3 years down the road you can consider buying a new one. Of course with buying a second hand car you should alway have a reliable mechanic to have a look. Maybe you should post an ads on bahtsold or thaivisa for good 2nd hand car.

Btw, congratulation on becoming a father.You are one fast and hard worker. Also if you really need a loan. You can contact Bank of Michael.

I used to have a Civic when I was in TH many years ago. My Civic had gear problems. I had to change to a new one after 10 days and than after 2 months I changed it to a Mazda Lantis V6. I don't trust Honda.

I've been driving a Volkswagen Touran for 4 years now. It uses Diesel and it's fuel economy. I was planing to buy a new car but the economy crisis, you see, I have to wait for a year or two.

How about shopping around, Rob. Test drive them all!!!

On second thought, maybe new car or used car doesn't make any different because you will be driving in Thailand. You might be a good driver but you don't know how good those drivers around you are.

My best bet is to take public transport. With the crazy traffic, you may still end up late.

I own my own wheels, but still take public transport or my favorite bicycle. Good exercise too

Happy New Year

I own a lot of condos in lower sukhumvit, asoke and sathorn area. When you get your car. You can contact me and I can give you a free parking space.

Second hand... definitely.

Do you think you will get quality after-sales service if you buy new?

Better to save the cash up-front.

Labour is so cheap here, servicing a second-hand car is not the financial disaster that it is in the West.

My Dad bought a Honda Jazz.... and when it was time to change cars, he bought another one. I've driven it and it's great.

My ex has a Honda Jazz too and she loves it.

Remember a story not so long ago about the lady who had bought a brand new Honda CRV that was a total lemon - it had many faults and she was very pissed off because Honda Thailand refused to replace it - saying they would do all the repairs under warranty, but would not replace the car - very unfair really as it was totally screwed and riddled with faults from day one! She eventually got so angry that she invited the media to watch as she took a sledge hammer to the car...suddenly Honda realised they had f*cked up; they offered her a new car and I seem to recall that she told them where to stick it! I then heard she had been offered a brand new car by another manufacturer - and accepted - not sure if that bit is true or not, but I hope it is....

Having said all this - I have had 2 Honda CRVs and both were excellent.

I know several people who have Honda Jazz, and love them...

Remember a story not so long ago about the lady who had bought a brand new Honda CRV that was a total lemon - it had many faults and she was very pissed off because Honda Thailand refused to replace it - saying they would do all the repairs under warranty, but would not replace the car - very unfair really as it was totally screwed and riddled with faults from day one! She eventually got so angry that she invited the media to watch as she took a sledge hammer to the car...suddenly Honda realised they had f*cked up; they offered her a new car and I seem to recall that she told them where to stick it! I then heard she had been offered a brand new car by another manufacturer - and accepted - not sure if that bit is true or not, but I hope it is....

Having said all this - I have had 2 Honda CRVs and both were excellent.

I know several people who have Honda Jazz, and love them...

I have a sledge hammer if anyone need to borrow one..

for bangkok - i have a 2 stroke enduro bike for you. you can strap the baby seat to the back and ride over the cars... :D

I dont know about honda cars but I know they make great bikes. I'd say buy relatively new second hand (1 - 5 years old). The mechanics here are cheap and newer cars tend to have less issues.

Pick up trucks are great too, they are bigger and can move things ;P

Brand new if you don't plan to resell it later, I was told that you'll always lose money if you buy a brand new car and you can never sell it for a profit. But for me it's gonna be a personal car and I'm gonna drive it until it falls apart.

I didn't know much about car, neither I knew how to drive when I pre-ordered my car. That's always the easiest option and less troublesomes. All I have to worry is the empty tank and after 6 months or 10,000 kms just send to the service center and then wait a few hours.

You can get help from a mechanic on buying relatively new used car but the car parts have lifetime and my friend told that me she liked Jazz (previous model) but she didn't buy it because of the gear box costs a fortune to replace if it breaks down.

...and I love new Jazz :wink:

God...you guys are making it more difficult, not more easy as you usually do!

First off, I definitely don't want a bike. When I see parents driving around kids under 10 years old on a bike, I cringe.

Mike, thanks for the offer but I never borrow or lend more than 40k *baht* from friends (that was a rule I set up when that was about $1,000 USD...maybe I need to adjust that).

I love Hondas. The first one my father gave to me when I went to college. The second one I bought for myself a few years later, and they were both incredibly reliable cars. That's why I am looking for another.

Everyone is telling me to buy a second hand car instead of just paying 10k a month for peace of mind (little or no maintenance) + plus resale value. Whereas in the states, it would be the opposite...we're built on credit.

come on Rob...you can spot a good used car when you see one

(particularly if you have a mechanic you trust to look it over)

I mean,,, hell, last year I bought a Subrau on E-bay sight unseen...been a great everyday car!

...think of it as an adventure

(OK ...you have a family to think of and you're responsible )

you want simple ...

send me a ticket Iwill come over a pick one out for you

with my NO-Money back promise :lol:

for bangkok - i have a 2 stroke enduro bike for you. you can strap the baby seat to the back and ride over the cars... :D

I dont know about honda cars but I know they make great bikes. I'd say buy relatively new second hand (1 - 5 years old). The mechanics here are cheap and newer cars tend to have less issues.

Pick up trucks are great too, they are bigger and can move things ;P

345645yrthgfhdfgs.jpg

Rob I recommend that you get a new car because it doesn't really sound like it will break your bank account.

The most important question here is not about the type of car you will decide on buying but the SAFETY of you and your family members that will be in the car.

Think peace of mind and safety Rob when you make your decision :)

Rob I recommend that you get a new car because it doesn't really sound like it will break your bank account.

The most important question here is not about the type of car you will decide on buying but the SAFETY of you and your family members that will be in the car.

The thing is a new car WOULD come close to breaking the bank account...I save a buttload of money every month for retirement and other things (I've even been putting away a hundred bucks a month since I was 21 for my first baby's college education, he better go to college!), and I don't want to stop that.

Health, life insurance, mortgage, regular monthly bills all add up. I feasibly could get a new car, but it's not like it would be an easy thing.

Gotta go get the som tum!

The thing is a new car WOULD come close to breaking the bank account...I save a buttload of money every month for retirement and other things (I've even been putting away a hundred bucks a month since I was 21 for my first baby's college education, he better go to college!), and I don't want to stop that.

Health, life insurance, mortgage, regular monthly bills all add up. I feasibly could get a new car, but it's not like it would be an easy thing.

how much cheaper would a second hand car be ?? if it's considerably cheaper i would definitely recommed this option. also find urself a decent mechanic. just in case anything does go round with the car, although cars nowadays tend to be a lot more reliable than they were years ago !!!

funnily enough was having a beer with 2 expats last night who both had recently bought expensive new cars and were scathing about the after sales service here ... but i guess that won't surprise too many here !!! :D:D

I recommand you to buy second hand. Brand new cars loose value very fast, go for a car that is less then 4 years old with low millage. Try to buy from an individual, not from a second hand car garage, unless they give you a real good warranty on the car. Bring a mechanic friend if you can, mostly get the car inspected by a good mechanic. Negociate the price based on cost of any potential repairs. Go for Japanese car, Honda and Toyota are most reliable.

Good luck and ... congratulation for the new little one coming soon. And of course a Very Happy New Year ... !

Totally understand what you are saying but I hope you understand what I am saying and that is the safety and peace of mind for the well being of your baby is priceless when making these decisiions.

Please don't take short cuts when it comes to decisions that are related to your baby.

If finance is of question then maybe you don't need a car but other options should be thought of.

As anyone knows that has children, we tend to do all that is best for them and safety and health is on top of that list.

Take care and chat with you when I am back home in paradise.

It is great to know that you are saving your money for your kids (I know you will have more). I too put away a lot of money for my kids and retirement.

I don't know where you are putting the saving money. but if you are getting 4 percent return but paying the bank 8 percent on a car loan, might as well just borrow from the baby and pay them the high interest.

Too bad you are not looking for a condo or a boat, I would have sold you mine.