Thai Banks

digitalcat

I need a recommendation here.

Someone in Egypt managed to steal $ from my Kassikorn bank. I still have my card and never been to Egypt. So it is very obvious that I didn't withdraw that money.

The sum stolen was about 3000 baht which is insignificant. The same thing happened in the states a while back and my US bank was on top of it. I got my $ back.

Kasikorn bank has been absolutely horrible! I went to the branch 3 times so far they been making me run around and do tricks for them. No one calls me back and I get passed around from one useless rep to another. Now, I don't really care about 3000 baht, but I am going to start a business here - and have at least 1million in the bank. This is where I start to care. If some jackass in Egypt steals that much money, I will be hurting.

I need a bank in Thailand that is reliable, helpful and on top of their game. (If they have a card with a chip in it that is a plus)

Also is there still a bank that doesn't charge the 150 fee for foreign withdrawal?

To say that the Banks here in Thailand are still firmly dwelling in the 20th century would be an understatement. There are countless horror stories to be found demonstrating their commitment to customer service. :roll:

It does appear the degree of service does depend on the quality of branch manager. Good luck.

As far as the ATM fee goes, AEON I remember to be the one that didn't charge. Some on here will be probably be more up-to-date on that though. I usually pop into a bank and withdraw over the counter from my debit card. No 150 ThB charge there. Did that only a week or so ago at a Bangkok Bank branch.

To say that the Banks here in Thailand are still firmly dwelling in the 20th century would be an understatement. There are countless horror stories to be found demonstrating their commitment to customer service. :roll:

It does appear the degree of service does depend on the quality of branch manager. Good luck..

Policies and service vary greatly from branch to branch. I find head office or a bramch in an 'international org' building (eg Siam Bank in UN regional HQ) tend to be more responsive

As far as the ATM fee goes, AEON I remember to be the one that didn't charge. Some on here will be probably be more up-to-date on that though. I usually pop into a bank and withdraw over the counter from my debit card. No 150 ThB charge there. Did that only a week or so ago at a Bangkok Bank branch.

Correct, AEON still does not charge the 150 baht ATM withdrawl fee. Officially Siam Bank stopped applying it early last Nov but that might take a year or so to implement! :roll:

I need a recommendation here.

Kasikorn bank has been absolutely horrible! I went to the branch 3 times so far they been making me run around and do tricks for them. No one calls me back and I get passed around from one useless rep to another. Now, I don't really care about 3000 baht, but I am going to start a business here - and have at least 1million in the bank. This is where I start to care. If some jackass in Egypt steals that much money, I will be hurting.

I need a bank in Thailand that is reliable, helpful and on top of their game. (If they have a card with a chip in it that is a plus)

Kasikorn are normally quite good but I guess this is an awkward one for them and they probably don't know how to deal with it. Did you try Head Office?

My Bangkok Bank ATM card has a chip in it so you could try there.

By 'foreign withdrawal,' I assume you mean using your Thai ATM card in a country that is not Thailand. Siam Commercial Bank (SCB) charges 100 baht for that, not 150.

Service with SCB has been good IF I go back to the branch I opened the account at. Otherwise, they can't be arsed to do anything, and will tell me to go back to my home branch.

Anecdote: I lost my ATM card in Indonesia. Had to call SCB from Jakarta. Spent 10 minutes on (very expensive) hold with bad thai pop rock as the card only had one customer service number, the standard one, which I'd made sure to write down for emergencies. However, once I got on the line with customer service, I was able to run through the card cancellation routine quite quickly. Asked me personal details for verification, etc, etc. Upon return to Bangkok, my bank book + passport + 200-300 baht for a new card, at my home branch, and it was all taken care of quickly.

Just to state the obvious, SCB requires a work permit to open a bank account. Or at least did when I went there.