iPhone Apps

funky_house

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ghetto but it works... i tried.

Totally ghetto but, you're right, it does work. If you funky can make it all the way from the airport to MBK he can have it done with a device intentionally designed to resize regular SIMs to microSIMs but you can always give it a shot yourself. It's a 2 second job after you are able to find someone in MBK that when you say micro doesn't quit listening to anything coming out of your mouth afterwards because they assume you mean microSD.

Slightly off topic:

Does anyone know if AIS will swap my normal SIM for a microSIM for my iPhone 4 at the airport kiosk?

If so, will I be able to keep my present PAYG 1-2-call number?

Me and my girl cut ours with household scissors, it's not rocket science mate. If you look closely it kinda shows you where to cut on a normal sim (little marks). Anyway i was scared to do it initially then my girl told me to stop being a baby and hacked up hers in front of me.. It really was so easy. There are many youtube clips on it if you're a bit of a chicken.

Me and my girl cut ours with household scissors, it's not rocket science mate. If you look closely it kinda shows you where to cut on a normal sim (little marks). Anyway i was scared to do it initially then my girl told me to stop being a baby and hacked up hers in front of me.. It really was so easy. There are many youtube clips on it if you're a bit of a chicken.

You're talking about a SIM card, right?

Actually, your best bet if you don't have a need for that SIM except for use in your iPhone is to just have them chop the card to the microSIM size. The microSIM that I use in my iPad is a normal sized SIM card that the folks over at MBK chop down to microSIM size. Many shops have a cutter that looks like a stapler.

You might be able to get that done at home before you even get on the flight so your good to go as soon as you touch down.

I had actually already bought one of those stapler type tools from Amazon, but when it came to doing the dirty deed, I chickened out. It would have cut pretty close to the metal chip.

Normally I wouldn't give a toss, but I need that number to be working when I arrive in BKK, as someone needs to contact me, and I don't have their number...

I had actually already bought one of those stapler type tools from Amazon, but when it came to doing the dirty deed, I chickened out. It would have cut pretty close to the metal chip.

Normally I wouldn't give a toss, but I need that number to be working when I arrive in BKK, as someone needs to contact me, and I don't have their number...

There's gotta be someone near you who does this. MicroSIMs are too new. Many people, I'm sure, have had to cut down a regular SIM to work in their iPhone or iPad. Just go to any shop that sells iPads ask them to chop it down to a microSIM. So for I've purchased 3 regular SIM cards and had them chop them down to microSIM size (because the reload process is convoluted and totally in Thai, one asking for your Thai ID card number) and have yet to fave a FAIL!

And if you do mess up the chip you can go to AIS and ask for a new chip with the same number. I've had to do that twice (Kennon maybe 30 or 40 times since he losses his phone every week).

So really you choices are:

1. Don't do anything, go to Telewiz when you get here and they may or may not be able to do it for you.

2. Cut the card before you come and take a chance that it was cut incorrectly and you have to go to Telewiz and request a replacement SIM

Either way, sounds like the worst case scenario is you have to make a trip to Telewiz.

• 1 month later...

I think I posted about this app (Viber) http://www.viber.com/ few months ago. Its getting pretty popular, and lots of my friends now have it.

Now, after an update yesterday, it seems that you can send text messages for free to other Viber users.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/03/31/skype-challenger-releases-viber-2-0-free-text-messages-and-more/

I think I posted about this app (Viber) http://www.viber.com/ few months ago. Its getting pretty popular, and lots of my friends now have it.

Now, after an update yesterday, it seems that you can send text messages for free to other Viber users.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/03/31/skype-challenger-releases-viber-2-0-free-text-messages-and-more/

Yea, I've been using this for a few months now. Excellent for keeping with peeps back home, I'm sure the version I had before I updated allowed texts. But whatev's Whatsapp covers that.

An app available on android (probably on iphone too) worth checking out is 'Thailand taxi meter' which simulates and calculates your real time taxi fare in Bangkok based on gps location. Seems to get good reviews so may be worth folk in Bkk trying.

Edited by Stramash

An app available on android (probably on iphone too) worth checking out is 'Thailand taxi meter' which simulates and calculates your real time taxi fare in Bangkok based on gps location. Seems to get good reviews so may be worth folk in Bkk trying.

I tried it a few months ago on an Android phone, but deleted it. It didn't even raise a smile when I showed it to a few taxi drivers in BKK.

Also it didn't seem to keep up with the meter in the taxi. I guess you need to be able to set the rate somehow.

I tried it a few months ago on an Android phone, but deleted it. It didn't even raise a smile when I showed it to a few taxi drivers in BKK.

Also it didn't seem to keep up with the meter in the taxi. I guess you need to be able to set the rate somehow.

I think the rate is fixed by the gov so you don't need to set anything.

But yeah, I don't think you're going to get any smiles from taxi drivers if you let them know that you don't trust them. :-)

ehhhhh .... u don't think that might suggest the meter is running faster than it should be !!!

ehhhhh .... u don't think that might suggest the meter is running faster than it should be !!!

LOL. Yeah, if a GPS guided system is telling you one thing and a taxi driver with a dodgy looking meter is telling you another . . . of course you have to pay whatever the dodgy meter tells you :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I've very nice website for all IT stuffs solution and I can find a section which matches this thread as well.

There are about useful articles about;

•iTunes & iPod

•iPhone

•iPad

•Droid

•Kindle

•BlackBerry, PDAs & Other Devices

Let check this link for more info.

http://www.dummies.com/Section/Consumer-Electronics.id-323198.html

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, there's an app for that too:

David Pogue Allegedly Hits Wife With iPhone

There is definitely not an app for allegedly bonking your soon-to-be ex-wife in the head with your iPhone. And the story only gets stranger from there.

Both New York Time technology columnist David Pogue and his wife, Jennifer Pogue, have been charged with disorderly conduct following a "boisterous argument," according to Jennifer Pogue's attorney.

The fight between the Pogues began this past Monday, when Jennifer Pogue visited the family's Westport, Connecticut home on a night that Pogue claims was his for visitation rights. The Pogues, parents of three, are currently going through divorce proceedings. As a result, they've established a custody arrangement for their children and currently live in separate locations. Jennifer Pogue was allegedly returning from vacation and looking to pick up her three children at the house.

An argument allegedly began between the two, and Jennifer Pogue pulled out her iPhone to record the proceedings. David Pogue allegedly began struggling with Jennifer Pogue for the device and, when he wouldn't let go, David Pogue says that Jennifer Pogue bit him on the arm.

According to Jennifer Pogue, David Pogue followed her into one of the family's bedrooms and jumped on top of her and hit her on the head with the iPhone.

Police, after being summoned to the scene, did not take the iPhone for evidence in the case. However, Westport police captain Sam Arciola said that the recording does, "[substanciate] some of the claims," according a report by the Stamford Advocate.

It's unclear which side of the story—if not both—is corroborated by the iPhone's video. However, David Pogue and Jennifer Pogue showed injuries of the alleged assaults: David Pogue had a bite mark present on his arm and Jennifer Pogue had marks on her head, according to Arciola.

Both Pogues appeared in Norwalk Superior Court the day after the squabble. Both received protective orders prohibiting each from assaulting, harassing, or stalking the other, and the case was continued to June 22.

"Obviously divorces can get emotional and we expect David to be cleared of this charge in due time," said David Pogue's lawyer, Mark Sherman.

• 7 months later...