Bangkok weather - this is not normal!

dizx

What you think about the current weather in BKK?  

307 members have voted

1. 1. What you think about the current weather in BKK?

• Im freezing, get me outta here!
    • Cold? Haven't noticed...
    • I love it! Let it continue forever!
    • My beer is nice and cold

Question

Hey guys. I come from a part of the world where the weather is on everybody's lips daily. Everybody talk about it. Because the diversity in the weather conditions is quite huge compared to Thailand.

This is my fourth winter here. And to my recollection, we usually had about 7-10 days with "cold" weather the last three winters, and then it became hot again.

This winter is different. It started to get cold already late November and most of December was colder than usual. This last week has been quite cold, and you can see Thai people are wearing anoraks. 16-17 degrees at night is colder that i have ever witnessed in Bangkok. And the weather forecast tells me its gonna continue for a few more days.

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/48456.html

To be honest i love it! I love the hot weather as well, but its nice to drive with open windows, sleep without AC and so on.

Whats your thought about this? Have you experienced weather like this before in BKK? Is global warming a hoax (yes it is..) ?

Please let me hear your comments on today most interesting topic on TF :P

• Answers 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

One large Volcanic erruption

produces more carbon and pollution that mankind produces in 50

years.

Can you please refrain from spreading nonsense? Thank you in advance on behalf of intelligent minds everywhere.

I will say anything I want, anytime I want, and I case that fact on science.

It's not a freaking debate got that?

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0197833.html

http://www.factmonster.com/ipka/A0769041.html

http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2005/3024/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcano

The arctic and antarctic are also melting because of underwater volcanoes.

Go brush your teeth.

did i get this right? you just went from an apparent factoid (i say apparent because i'm not interested in looking it up at the moment, not because i doubt it) to a firm conclusion that arctic and artarctic ice caps are melting because of underwater volcanoes?

it seems as if you are claiming that AGW is not only implausible but that the sole cause of melting ice caps is underwater volcanos, and it's done and dusted. is that what you're saying or is it just the sound-byte-ish nature of the internet?

"it's not a debate". what's not a debate? clarify please.

years.

Can you please refrain from spreading nonsense? Thank you in advance on behalf of intelligent minds everywhere.

Go brush your teeth.

did i get this right? you just went from an apparent factoid (i say apparent because i'm not interested in looking it up at the moment, not because i doubt it) to a firm conclusion that arctic and artarctic ice caps are melting because of underwater volcanoes?

it seems as if you are claiming that AGW is not only implausible but that the sole cause of melting ice caps is underwater volcanos, and it's done and dusted. is that what you're saying or is it just the sound-byte-ish nature of the internet?

Don't twist my words Hercules.

I said it is a factor, not the only factor.

Read what the Floridian said in his post.

De bate is what Floridians put on the hook.

You guys are pulling out global warming data from your noses, that fact is, global warming is a NATURAL occurring reality, that is and was my point.

Dr. Mike, your pulling all your information off of Wikipedia, which is fine except that the information has made NO CONCLUSIONS. You seem to be getting your arguments out of a "How to make blanket arguments against liberals" book. In all honesty, I haven't met too many *Doctors* who don't understand the simplicities of global warming unless they are blind conservatives, oil executives, or somehow too far into the automobile industry.

By the way, what does my being from Florida have anything to do what kind of intellect I have.

You guys are pulling out global warming data from your noses, that fact is, global warming is a NATURAL occurring reality, that is and was my point.

Dr. Mike, your pulling all your information off of Wikipedia, which is fine except that the information has made NO CONCLUSIONS. You seem to be getting your arguments out of a "How to make blanket arguments against liberals" book. In all honesty, I haven't met too many *Doctors* who don't understand the simplicities of global warming unless they are blind conservatives, oil executives, or somehow too far into the automobile industry.

By the way, what does my being from Florida have anything to do what kind of intellect I have.

You said " Can you please refrain from spreading nonsense? Thank you in advance on behalf of intelligent minds everywhere."

What does anything I said have to do with your interpretation of nonsense?

It's about as silly as it gets.

By the way, It's cold here today. Don't forget your safety blankets. :)

Mike, Mike, Mike...

at no point did you make it clear that you were making the point that global warming was a natural process...

You merely stated an inaccurate fact that a volcanic eruption produces as much CO2 and pollution than 50 years worth of man's contribution.

Stated like that it appears to be you who is defending the oil companies and industry, which I know to be the opposite of your true position.

That global warming is a natural part of the planet's cycle is in no doubt, but equally in no doubt is that man is accelerating that process.

And perhaps the point is fast approaching where that acceleration will take us past the point where the Earth's checks and balances can cope.

Diminishing fresh water resources, diminishing forests, and particularly the diminishing amounts of certain planktons all add to this ongoing damage, and the reason these essential parts of the ecosystem are diminishing is as much man's responsibility as the carp we pump into the air each day.

:)

Basically, what I am trying to say, and dont need a Doctorate to understand, is that the effects of ozone-harming pollutants is minimal compared to the net reduction in the amount of solar radiation compared to the increase in the greenhouse effect.

So much so, that scientists have looked into duplicating the effects of volcanic eruptions. Good article here about it:

http://earth2tech.com/2007/10/25/man-vs-the-volcano-is-seeding-the-stratosphere-really-the-solution-to-global-warming/

Thank you, gotta go brush my teeth now.

you should try again. seems like the comparative duration of any additional greenhouse cases in the atmosphere to the duration of the upper stratosphere pollution would be relevant, and quite possibly central to your argument.

EDIT: seems like you did, or i missed a post. so i edited.

probably not going to bother as i'm more interested in whether City are signing Kaka at the moment. i haven't seen anything interesting coming from 'debates' among people who aren't climate scientists about climate change.

years.

Go brush your teeth.

Don't twist my words Hercules.

I said it is a factor, not the only factor.

see, that's why i asked you to clarify. you didn't say it was a factor. if your overall claim is that human activity has little impact on climate change, then you may want to support that claim. on the other hand, given the complexity of the problem, a better approach might be "screw it, never mind, it's an internet forum."

also you still haven't answered the question: WHAT is not a debate?

Read what the Floridian said in his post.

that?

so? he didn't really say much of anything substantial in that post.

years.

Mike, happy thoughts, happy thoughts, happy thoughts

And it is a debate; that is the purpose of forums; if you think you are right ALL the time, become a mod.

And your figures on carbon are exaggerated; it would be around a decades worth of CO2 compared to what man produces...

now go and hug the other poster...

:D

Re read my post. I put the facts on it.

I've decided not to be so kind anymore.

(except to people who respect me.)

Besides, I'm happy. :)

dr. mike...i think you may have missed a period or coma in the last post...better fix it fast or you'll never hear the end of it...

Hi Garlic, good to see you online sir. :) Can you believe that guy?

How's the weather at your place?

tough weather...well below 0 degrees F at night...with the wind they are warning that flesh will freeze in 10 minutes...last time i looked today it got up to 14f...not a normal thing for here at all...

i'm on every day...just talking in pm to a few people...

Most of you drink beer so I've worked out a little equation to help you see things more clearer. (and myself)

Now If we take the amount of carbon released into the atmosphere every year (carbon cycle) and converted it into 64 dozen (or 768 beers) it turns out that mans contribution equals a mere 6 bottles.

Do you think that would a lot of difference to any party or piss up (maybe a tf party;) . Just a thought..

So planet Earth has been around for far longer than human beings and the brains they have, which are so ill equiped to comprehend the scales of time involved.

The well known example being that if the Empire State building was a measure of time, then the time Humans are around on this planet would be represented by a postage stamp or a strip of paint!

In other words, all this talk of saving the planet is actually just amusing delusions on the part of a species who will be long gone before poor little planet earth will notice or care. An interesting and thought provoking TV program both in England and the USA covered this quite well, entitled Life After People - examples of the TV concept are at http://www.history.com/minisites/life_after_people is a curious and novel way to look at the planet.

Point is that Earth has been around a long long time and will be around even longer after human beings are just another one of the huge number of creatures now extinct.It is because of our own Human fraility and self delusion that we imagine we are more important then we actually are and the idea of the whole Global warming debate is really missing the point.

As a species we are but babies and for all our inteligence we are hopeless at acting in our own best interests. As with the credit crunch and financial crisis, we are short to mid term creatures in our perspective, trapped by our own greed we dont see or work towards the long term or general good, but rather our impulses are ultimatley selfish and shortsighted -though one has to hope we are somehow still evolving [socially-far slower than technologially] and we are only human after all- so our bound by our nature to a large extent.

Most likely, humans we find ways to destroy either ourselves or our civilizations long before we need worry about "Global Warming" an issue actually so complex that it is almost pointless in having so many people repeat, like parrots, what they are being told from various biased sources [which is not to say they are not also perhaps informed too.]

Nobody really knows for sure exactly what the relationship between human activity is on the planet [in so far as it comes back to effect humans] and something like the weather. If people were really serious about such "Global" issues then I would sugest that we can forget about virtually ALL major GREEN issues relating to GLOBAL WARMING and deal with the real and immediate root problem facing mankind. OVER POPULATION! This issue and the problem of the los of TOP SOIL are actually the two biggest problems facing mankind.

Address them and forget about Global warming- Fix hunger and inequality and all else could start to fall into place and solutions would be found ASAP -if needed at all. Chances that we will succeed are slim indeed. We are destined for a very bleak future unless the problem of over population and equity can be squared sometime in the next 100 years or so.

Stand back and just consider that we are the third planet from a medium/small sized star travelling through space at thousands of miles a second! swirling through a galaxy [also travelling through space at thousands of miles per second- but heading straight for a collision with our nearest galaxy [Andromeda?] of about a billion other stars and there are literally billions of other such galaxies likewise traveling through space at incredible speeds. To say that we are less than a grain of sand would be an over statement!

But now despite all I have said here- some folks will tell ya that we need to save the planet! We couldnt save ourselves if we were given a map and instructions! Solve human affairs on a human level [human over population- inequalities] and we might have some chance of creating a sunstainable future? In the meantime I would give anything to be able to enjoy the 17c temp in Bangkok these days. Cold? You must be joking! When I was a lad...............

The classic response when a Gaia worshipper has the central tenets of their eco religion challenged.

I don't know what you did to the lovely quote boxes but I fixed it for you...also I saw you where having problems with the colours, so I picked a nice orange. Hope you like it!

All part of the TF service...I'm happy to help... :D

Alltouristman is back :roll:

Ok.. I'll bite..

Yes the earth will still be around, and we won't. That's the point! We would quite like to be around a little longer.

There is almost universal agreement amongst the science community that global warming is happening (which can be confirmed by analysing papers published on the subject) So we could just sit back and do nothing and watch as the world becomes something we can longer survive in (at least in any way we'd call comfy). Or we can do something about it. At least take the opinions of the worlds science community seriously, and not make up (copy and paste?) rants that attempt to subvert people's attentions from the pending potential disaster.

I suppose you would have told Mr Bush not to worry about Katrina, it's just a normal storm, they've happened before.

But I hate to add that you are quite right about one thing.. the core of the problem (if indeed human activity is relevant) is that there are too many of us and we're not using resources wisely.

Oh and the part about the Earth being as important as a grain of sand is silly. This may be the only inhabited planet in the cosmos, in which case mentioning it's size is pointless.

There, I just wasted my time and fed the troll. :roll:

While I would agree (yes I know I shouldn't) with Allseasonsman that overpopulation is undoubtedly the biggest problem we, and the animal species we eat, I would still say that man's effect on the environment is speeding up natural processes that normally the ecosystem would cope with, but struggles with these processes at an accelerated stage.

But I see little emphasis on what I think is one of the major damages that is happening on the planet; declining levels of plankton.

In particular, though there is strong interdependence between the different types of plankton, the drop in levels of phytoplankton (30% in around 20 years) gives possible cause for long term concerns.

Campaigns to 'Save the Rainforests' are often given dominance, most often with the reasoning that they are the planet's lungs.

In fact, more CO2 is neutralised and oxygen produced by these tiny sea based plants (zooplankton is animal plankton, phytoplankton is plant plankton)

Estimates for the amount they contribute vary, but figures range from around 50% to around 70%.

So, even taking the lower estimate of 50%, and remembering the 30% drop in this type of plankton in 20 years, what this means is that we have lost 15% pf the planet's oxygen making and carbon dioxide neutralising capabilities in 2 decades!!

Now, scientists are unsure whether this is an irrversible trend or just a climactic trend, but there are worries that with coral bleaching, increased ozone levels, overfishing, dumping of large amounts of human and industrual waste in deep sea sites, that man is creating conditions that will not allow the phytoplankton to recover.

But overpopulation remains the primary concern. As long as we keep reproducing at the ridiculous rates we are, then we will continue taking resources to the point they cannot naturally recover.

This has to be recognised and action taken to slow birth rates to a more manageable level.

Most of you drink beer so I've worked out a little equation to help you see things more clearer. (and myself)

Now If we take the amount of carbon released into the atmosphere every year (carbon cycle) and converted it into 64 dozen (or 768 beers) it turns out that mans contribution equals a mere 6 bottles.

Do you think that would a lot of difference to any party or piss up (maybe a tf party;) . Just a thought..

This is a VERY intelligent post. AND makes a lot more sense than most of the

rampant screams.

As I said earlier it's not a debate, because a debate would incur that we have

anything to talk about. It's cold in Thailand, that's about all any of us can truly claim.

WE as a species, know very little in fact, yet we imply that we do, just as our ancestors mistakenly did.

For what it's worth, I find modern science to be no better than a religion. As a species, we're constantly finding out that we know virtually NOTHING about how things on this planet work... Today, my turtles realized they had no chance of figuring out how things work and lay in the sun eating "turtle food".

Your perception is wrong my Canuck chum;

the only reason your turtles lay in the sun all day eating 'turtle food' is that they already HAVE figured everything out... :D

For what it's worth, I find modern science to be no better than a religion. As a species, we're constantly finding out that we know virtually NOTHING about how things on this planet work... Today, my turtles realized they had no chance of figuring out how things work and lay in the sun eating "turtle food".

the only reason your turtles lay in the sun all day eating 'turtle food' is that they already HAVE figured everything out... :D

Do you figure that's the secret? You might have a point... The two new Jap turtles I bought today are especially calm... Far more than the larger terrapin in the big aquarium. I AM a bit concerned that they won't be too cold since it IS a bit chilly at night. I can imagine they're probably thinking, "Goddamn humans! They just HAD to go ******* up the environment. All I wanted to do was sit here, eat turtle food and sleep."

Do you figure that's the secret? You might have a point... The two new Jap turtles I bought today are especially calm... Far more than the larger terrapin in the big aquarium. I AM a bit concerned that they won't be too cold since it IS a bit chilly at night. I can imagine they're probably thinking, "Goddamn humans! They just HAD to go f*cking up the environment. All I wanted to do was sit here, eat turtle food and sleep."

Yup. They are just sitting laughing at you!! (and the rest of us but you in particular)

And while you are sleeping, they are surfing the web, drinking your beer and playing PGR4!!!

Otters are in the same situation; we just don't keep them in tanks in the living room yet...

So planet Earth has been around for far longer than human beings and the brains they have, which are so ill equiped to comprehend the scales of time involved.

The well known example being that if the Empire State building was a measure of time, then the time Humans are around on this planet would be represented by a postage stamp or a strip of paint!

In other words, all this talk of saving the planet is actually just amusing delusions on the part of a species who will be long gone before poor little planet earth will notice or care. An interesting and thought provoking TV program both in England and the USA covered this quite well, entitled Life After People - examples of the TV concept are at http://www.history.com/minisites/life_after_people is a curious and novel way to look at the planet.

Point is that Earth has been around a long long time and will be around even longer after human beings are just another one of the huge number of creatures now extinct.It is because of our own Human fraility and self delusion that we imagine we are more important then we actually are and the idea of the whole Global warming debate is really missing the point.

As a species we are but babies and for all our inteligence we are hopeless at acting in our own best interests. As with the credit crunch and financial crisis, we are short to mid term creatures in our perspective, trapped by our own greed we dont see or work towards the long term or general good, but rather our impulses are ultimatley selfish and shortsighted -though one has to hope we are somehow still evolving [socially-far slower than technologially] and we are only human after all- so our bound by our nature to a large extent.

Most likely, humans we find ways to destroy either ourselves or our civilizations long before we need worry about "Global Warming" an issue actually so complex that it is almost pointless in having so many people repeat, like parrots, what they are being told from various biased sources [which is not to say they are not also perhaps informed too.]

Nobody really knows for sure exactly what the relationship between human activity is on the planet [in so far as it comes back to effect humans] and something like the weather. If people were really serious about such "Global" issues then I would sugest that we can forget about virtually ALL major GREEN issues relating to GLOBAL WARMING and deal with the real and immediate root problem facing mankind. OVER POPULATION! This issue and the problem of the los of TOP SOIL are actually the two biggest problems facing mankind.

Address them and forget about Global warming- Fix hunger and inequality and all else could start to fall into place and solutions would be found ASAP -if needed at all. Chances that we will succeed are slim indeed. We are destined for a very bleak future unless the problem of over population and equity can be squared sometime in the next 100 years or so.

Stand back and just consider that we are the third planet from a medium/small sized star travelling through space at thousands of miles a second! swirling through a galaxy [also travelling through space at thousands of miles per second- but heading straight for a collision with our nearest galaxy [Andromeda?] of about a billion other stars and there are literally billions of other such galaxies likewise traveling through space at incredible speeds. To say that we are less than a grain of sand would be an over statement!

But now despite all I have said here- some folks will tell ya that we need to save the planet! We couldnt save ourselves if we were given a map and instructions! Solve human affairs on a human level [human over population- inequalities] and we might have some chance of creating a sunstainable future? In the meantime I would give anything to be able to enjoy the 17c temp in Bangkok these days. Cold? You must be joking! When I was a lad...............

But... but... You mean Thaksin cannot save us all??

You've changed!!! Kudos!!

Thinking about the weather, I can say that the original poster did a fine job on starting this. Cheers.

We have learned something: some worship the "sky falling", others make use of amphibians to determine ancestral lineage; then there are the few that enjoy sitting back and watching us all be silly, while snacking on a turtle cake.

I saw Taksin on TV, one of the VERY few times I ever turn on the idiot box. It looked like a bunch of British guys kissing ass to shake his hand. There I was thinking that at least one nation has it's heads on it's shoulders. I would post a Pic of a guy with his head up his ass, but Sassy won't give me the link. (Joking).

It's suppose to start getting warmer next week. Warmer: as in scorching hot as usual. For now so much for global anything. This will be a year full of war and terror. Almost want to start a forum on that... but doubt it would last more than a few pages before it ends up being a master-debate again.

Anybody interested in a forum about forums?

Thinking about the weather, I can say that the original poster did a fine job on starting this. Cheers.

We have learned something: some worship the "sky falling", others make use of amphibians to determine ancestral lineage; then there are the few that enjoy sitting back and watching us all be silly, while snacking on a turtle cake.

I saw Taksin on TV, one of the VERY few times I ever turn on the idiot box. It looked like a bunch of British guys kissing a*s to shake his hand. There I was thinking that at least one nation has it's heads on it's shoulders. I would post a Pic of a guy with his head up his a*s, but Sassy won't give me the link. (Joking).

It's suppose to start getting warmer next week. Warmer: as in scorching hot as usual. For now so much for global anything. This will be a year full of war and terror. Almost want to start a forum on that... but doubt it would last more than a few pages before it ends up being a master-debate again.

Mike; good day to you sir.

I think we all accept that the 'sky falling scenario put forward by Professor Chicken Licken was completely disproved by Dr Foxy Loxy so that particular can of worms can be laid to rest.

And I think we can also accept that only Canadians can trace their lineage to amphibious lizards.

As to British guys kissing Thaksin's a*s, I think you will find they were English rather than British... :wink:

But since Sassy is withholding links from you, thought I would brighten your day with this and add a question, which recent poster on TF is this?

headUpAss-1.jpg

I saw Taksin on TV, one of the VERY few times I ever turn on the idiot box. It looked like a bunch of British guys kissing a*s to shake his hand. There I was thinking that at least one nation has it's heads on it's shoulders. I would post a Pic of a guy with his head up his a*s, but Sassy won't give me the link. (Joking).

I think we all accept that the 'sky falling scenario put forward by Professor Chicken Licken was completely disproved by Dr Foxy Loxy so that particular can of worms can be laid to rest.

And I think we can also accept that only Canadians can trace their lineage to amphibious lizards.

As to British guys kissing Thaksin's a*s, I think you will find they were English rather than British... :wink:

But since Sassy is withholding links from you, thought I would brighten your day with this and add a question, which recent poster on TF is this?

I'm currently researching how to devolve back into our ancestors' original form. It's a sweet life lying in the sun, eating shrimp and having someone else clean up your living area.

I'm currently researching how to devolve back into our ancestors' original form. It's a sweet life lying in the sun, eating shrimp and having someone else clean up your living area.

For your research you have to watch 'Nice Dreams' by Cheech and Chong, in which Stacy Keach perfects the process of human to lizard metamorphosis...