FA cup winner?

LakeGeneve

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's b0ll0x mate and you know it!!! Wenger has consistently spent far less than his allotted budget!!! Even with the building of the Emirates!! And remember, there's an extra 22,000 ARSEnalS on seats every week (which generates over 3 million in matchday revenue)

Even with a debt of 260 million (and I bet Man U could say that) you also have to consider the Highbury revenue that comes in each year, and even with the credit crunch, this will still in the long term be around 300 million.

Now, taking into account that it costs us about 15/16 million to service that debt annually (5 or 6 match days?) we are still now one of the 3 richest clubs in Europe (from a Highbury based position of 9th)

So, don't give me the 'dire finances' argument, as we are in a healthier position than the red devil scum.

Time for the special one!!!

:D

okie dokie ... can u show me what his allotted budget has been over the last 5 years !!!

We have seen a trophy cabinet gathering dust because every time we get a spate of injuries we have far too weak a squad to live up to our expectations.

Time to go Arsene!!

And yes, I do realise that in the unlikely event of disposing of both Man U and Barca, this post will be resurrected, dusted off, decorated and flaunted in my face!! Respect to the Professor, but it's time for a different tune...:)

I don't think he is done that bad and there have been a few unlucky breaks. Arsenal has a better average in the EPL than Liverpool in the last 4 years, this will be the first year that Liverpool finish above Arsenal since when?

This 10 year EPL table seems to indicate that Arsenal still retain the 2nd best record after Man U - http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/all-time-table/10-year

That's b0ll0x mate and you know it!!! Wenger has consistently spent far less than his allotted budget!!! Even with the building of the Emirates!! And remember, there's an extra 22,000 ARSEnalS on seats every week (which generates over 3 million in matchday revenue)

Even with a debt of 260 million (and I bet Man U could say that) you also have to consider the Highbury revenue that comes in each year, and even with the credit crunch, this will still in the long term be around 300 million.

Now, taking into account that it costs us about 15/16 million to service that debt annually (5 or 6 match days?) we are still now one of the 3 richest clubs in Europe (from a Highbury based position of 9th)

So, don't give me the 'dire finances' argument, as we are in a healthier position than the red devil scum.

okie dokie ... can u show me what his allotted budget has been over the last 5 years !!!

i love it when gooner supporters do the handbags at 20 pages amongst themselves.

We have seen a trophy cabinet gathering dust because every time we get a spate of injuries we have far too weak a squad to live up to our expectations.

Time to go Arsene!!

And yes, I do realise that in the unlikely event of disposing of both Man U and Barca, this post will be resurrected, dusted off, decorated and flaunted in my face!! Respect to the Professor, but it's time for a different tune...:)

I don't think he is done that bad and there have been a few unlucky breaks. Arsenal has a better average in the EPL than Liverpool in the last 4 years, this will be the first year that Liverpool finish above Arsenal since when?

This 10 year EPL table seems to indicate that Arsenal still retain the 2nd best record after Man U - http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/all-time-table/10-year

you get f*ck all for second!!!

2008/9 - Budget 30 million. Players bought 30.8 million Players sold 15.8 million. Surplus - 15 million

2007/8 - Budget 35 million. Players bought 13.2 million players sold 9.5 million (these figures include the 3.5 million profit on Diarra in only 5 months). Surplus 30.8 million

2006/7 - (1st year at Emirates) Budget 25 million. Players bought 11.9 million players sold 27.6 million. Surplus 40.7 million.

2005/6 Budget 30 million. Players bought 32.3 million players sold 13.7 million. Surplus 11.4 million

2004/5 Budget 25 million. Players bought 10 million Players sold 26 million. Surplus 41 million.

So, over a 5 year period, Wenger has left a grand total of 138.9 million of transfer budget untouched...

Time to go Arsene!!

And yes, I do realise that in the unlikely event of disposing of both Man U and Barca, this post will be resurrected, dusted off, decorated and flaunted in my face!!

Respect to the Professor, but it's time for a different tune...

:)

and that budget is taken from where ?? up ur ass ??

Time to go Arsene!!

You get a warm inner glow and you do get to admire the Wenger inspired syle and finesse of the Arsenal game! :wink:

(Didn't your dad ever say that there is more to sports than winning?)

Also, I thought that Scots, the Irish and Englishmen were all perennially familiar with the disappointment of not winning a trophy or coming 1st in a major sporting competition? (As an Australian I am allowed to say this.... :D)

2008/9 - Budget 30 million. Players bought 30.8 million Players sold 15.8 million. Surplus - 15 million

2007/8 - Budget 35 million. Players bought 13.2 million players sold 9.5 million (these figures include the 3.5 million profit on Diarra in only 5 months). Surplus 30.8 million

2006/7 - (1st year at Emirates) Budget 25 million. Players bought 11.9 million players sold 27.6 million. Surplus 40.7 million.

2005/6 Budget 30 million. Players bought 32.3 million players sold 13.7 million. Surplus 11.4 million

2004/5 Budget 25 million. Players bought 10 million Players sold 26 million. Surplus 41 million.

So, over a 5 year period, Wenger has left a grand total of 138.9 million of transfer budget untouched...

Time to go Arsene!!

And yes, I do realise that in the unlikely event of disposing of both Man U and Barca, this post will be resurrected, dusted off, decorated and flaunted in my face!!

and that budget is taken from where ?? up ur a*s ??

Nope. That has been the figures from the last 5 seasons. Now I can concede that with the new stadium, we haven't had the budgets of Man U or Chelski, but, given the balance between players in and out, he HAS left a hell of a lot of cash unspent.

The transfer balances are easily checkable if you manage to put your beer down for more than the time it takes to scratch your arse.

So, you telling me, you wouldn't be happy if the Professor had perhaps bought a couple of defenders over the last season or two.

Never mind the figures being up my a*s, think you need to remove your head from yours!! :wink:

see that's exactly where u r wrong (unfortunately) !!!!

it is now far more important to finish second (or third or fourth) in the premier league than it is to win the FA cup, EUFA cup or Carling cup !!

Well, there have been articles here saying just that; and that the primary reason Arshavin did not play in the Chelski game (how this little debate started) is that Wenger is desperate to finish 3rd to avoid CL qualifying games for next season.

Now I concede that the CL is an essential source of revenue for clubs of our size, but given the frustration of the Gooner fans and the fact that Arshavin is cup tied for the CL, surely playing one of our best players against Chelski was a given thing.

The Carling Cup is good for giving the youngsters a good run out, and would be disappointed if Wenger started playing full strength sides just to try and win a mickey mouse cup, but would have been nice to get to the FACup final and possibly, with no disrespect to Everton, probably have won it?

Time to go Arsene!!

Nope. That has been the figures from the last 5 seasons. Now I can concede that with the new stadium, we haven't had the budgets of Man U or Chelski, but, given the balance between players in and out, he HAS left a hell of a lot of cash unspent.

The transfer balances are easily checkable if you manage to put your beer down for more than the time it takes to scratch your arse.

So, you telling me, you wouldn't be happy if the Professor had perhaps bought a couple of defenders over the last season or two.

Never mind the figures being up my a*s, think you need to remove your head from yours!! :wink:

Iain ... what is ur source ?? u saying we (arsenal) have 139 million balance from transfer budgets ??

sorry need more than just ur say so to believe that !! if u r gonna fling around figures like that as fact, provide some back up !!

off course i'd love arsene to have bought a goalkeeper, 1 or 2 centre halfs and a viera type midfielder. but he says the money isn't-wasn't available and i would guess he knows slightly more about the finances at arsenal than U !!

Time to go Arsene!!

Iain ... what is ur source ?? u saying we (arsenal) have 139 million balance from transfer budgets ??

sorry need more than just ur say so to believe that !! if u r gonna fling around figures like that as fact, provide some back up !!

off course i'd love arsene to have bought a goalkeeper, 1 or 2 centre halfs and a viera type midfielder. but he says the money isn't-wasn't available and i would guess he knows slightly more about the finances at arsenal than U !!

No mate. Sorry - I may have given the wrong idea with those figures. The 139 is a cumulative total of what has remained unspent over the 5 years. I know it doesn't mean that there is a 139 million sitting there just now!!! I wish that was the case!!

But if you look at years like 06/07 there was a profit on players of 16 million. Why couldnt that 16 million go straight into a new player (and that is without an actual budget)

We have never had huge budgets - it always averages at around 25-30.

The transfer balances can be checked at soccerbase.com. But in 2 of those 5 years we made more from selling than we spent!!!

I have the utmost respect and admiration for Wenger; he has transformed Arsenal's style of play and ushered in a new era. But...it is maybe time for a change. While his emphasis on youth has produced some amazing talent, the lack of depth, and sometimes the lack of experience has proved our undoing.

You rightly identified the 4 positions where we really need new blood; a goalie, a Viera type midfielder and a couple of centre halves.

Am not expecting the team to suddenly spend 80 million on these positions, but over the last 2 or 3 seasons he could have filled some of them.

Wenger, like many French, has a stubborn streak the width of the Atlantic and he often seems to have a reluctance at signing, or in many cases retaining, players of experience.

No mate. Sorry - I may have given the wrong idea with those figures. The 139 is a cumulative total of what has remained unspent over the 5 years. I know it doesn't mean that there is a 139 million sitting there just now!!! I wish that was the case!!

But if you look at years like 06/07 there was a profit on players of 16 million. Why couldnt that 16 million go straight into a new player (and that is without an actual budget)

The transfer balances can be checked at soccerbase.com. But in 2 of those 5 years we made more from selling than we spent!!!

I have the utmost respect and admiration for Wenger; he has transformed Arsenal's style of play and ushered in a new era. But...it is maybe time for a change. While his emphasis on youth has produced some amazing talent, the lack of depth, and sometimes the lack of experience has proved our undoing.

You rightly identified the 4 positions where we really need new blood; a goalie, a Viera type midfielder and a couple of centre halves.

Am not expecting the team to suddenly spend 80 million on these positions, but over the last 2 or 3 seasons he could have filled some of them.

Wenger, like many French, has a stubborn streak the width of the Atlantic and he often seems to have a reluctance at signing, or in many cases retaining, players of experience.

Iain ... if u check the NET transfer spends in the premiership the only clubs with a net spend of 20-30 million per year r chelski, man ure and the scousers.

now i don't think it's just coincidence that our lack of silverware happened at the same time we started to pay for the stadium !!

and if u look at arsene's record before we moved he did buy experienced (if not always well known players) pires, lunjberg, henry, wiltord, vierra, overmars, campbell etc !!

i don't believe ANYBODY could do a better job working under the financial constraints arsene is working under and i don't think anybody could buy better IF given the money !!

Iain ... if u check the NET transfer spends in the premiership the only clubs with a net spend of 20-30 million per year r chelski, man ure and the scousers.

now i don't think it's just coincidence that our lack of silverware happened at the same time we started to pay for the stadium !!

and if u look at arsene's record before we moved he did buy experienced (if not always well known players) pires, lunjberg, henry, wiltord, vierra, overmars, campbell etc !!

i don't believe ANYBODY could do a better job working under the financial constraints arsene is working under and i don't think anybody could buy better IF given the money !!

Think we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one Ciaran. But if you surf round the messageboards, you will see a growing tide of dissent against Arsene and his recent transfer policies.

Remember; if the miracle happens and we win the CL, feel free to come back nad give me a right f**king slagging!!! :)

Think we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one Ciaran. But if you surf round the messageboards, you will see a growing tide of dissent against Arsene and his recent transfer policies.

Remember; if the miracle happens and we win the CL, feel free to come back nad give me a right f**king slagging!!! :)

i'm sure there is growing dissent from dickheads (not including u in that Iain) who know f**k all about football and even less about what being a true supporter really is !! i've been following arsenal since i was 5 or 6 years old and i can remember the really grim stretch from the double of 1971 until george graham took over (with the odd FA cup in between). so it's a joy to see us playing at the top level in the premiership and in the champions league every season, while playing fantastic football !!

sure i'd love to have seen us splash the cash on some big names in the areas we r weak, but i have seen no f**king evidence that wegner has had money to spend. just newspaper speculation !! reports i have seen suggest we r relatively cash strapped because of the new stadium and the downturn in the housing market (meaning the highbury development is harder to sell and may not generate as much income as previously forecast).

ppl seem to forget only 1 team can win the premiership (and we were flying last season until eduardo's injury which tore the ass out of our season), only 1 team can win the champions league (we were f**king robbed last season by 2 outrageous penalty decisionsagainst the scousers) and ony 1 team can win the FA cup (and we don't generally field a full strength team in that). the margins between success and failure can be paper thin !!

also ppl who say arsene doesn't buy experienced players either have short memories r don't know what the f**k they r talking about !! what he won't do is pay way over the odds for experienced (or english) players !!

• 2 weeks later...

On a slight aside, well done to Arsenal ladies on their 4th successive FA Cup victory...

Arsenal Ladies beat Northern Division side Sunderland 2-1 at Derby's Pride Park to win their fourth FA Women's Cup final in succession.

Katie Chapman put Arsenal ahead after Sunderland goalkeeper Helen Alderson could only parry Gemma Davison's shot.

The Premier League side missed several chances before Kim Little sealed the win in injury time with a neat turn and finish after controlling a high ball.

Kelly McDougall got a consolation with the last kick of the match

The trophy was the 30th of Vic Akers' spell as manager and came in his penultimate match in charge of the side.

The 62-year-old, who founded the women's team 22 years ago and led them to a quadruple in 2006-07, will hope to make it 31 next week when Arsenal take on Everton in the final match of the Premier League season.

Depending on the results over the next week, it could be a double; Everton and Arsenal are equal top, but Everton have a game in hand (Doncaster on Wednesday) Arsenal have a better goal difference, so, should Everton win on Wed, it will all be down to the Everton v Arsenal game next Sunday, with Arsenal needing a win to take the league.

Go Gooner Girls!!! :)