Thai Amulets

LasseDK

I went to a shop outside BKK to buy a small souvenir to my old mom back here, she wanted a buddha figure.

I found a little shop that didnt sell anything but this, and found a little tiny buddha figure that i ended up deciding on.

Asked the price, and thought we were going on a battlfield in the area of 200-400 bath - and was taken off my feet when i was told it was 15.000 TB !!

I thought he didnt liked me and went away, got my friends thai-wife who is a hardcore dealer on antiques to go and check if thats really the case.

She then told me that those amulets can be really expensive, and that you could find some to be priced at several million TB !

I ended up buying one for 6000 TB - not exactly what i thought it would cost, but got abit interested in this ? can anybody enlighten me what its all about ?

Why are they so expensive - and what do they mean ? i was told it was something that should be used close to the body to help generate QI and protect you ?

The value depends on many things, including the age of the buddah or monk image, if it comes from of the "famous" wats or maybe commemorates someone special for a particular occassion etc.

A friend of mine bought one for THB250,000 so the THB10,000 is not a huge price, but of course for anyone that is just interested in it for a nice or decorative item, as you have found (and suspected) there are those available for anything from a few hundred baht upward.

Twas a good try indeed my friend. Bad luck is that the girlie who is married to your Thai buddy took a tip of 1000 baht to rip you off and sell you one worth 2000 (if you think the ruddy fakes are worth anything...) Oh, maybe Buddha's sister wore it on her foot and it showed on the footprint or someat.

Ne'er ye mind, the thing is worth a whole lot more for the miracle that it were worth tuppence and it got sold for hok pun baht and then got to travel over the ocean for thousands o miles before it rested in a farang home shedding karma all over place. If it were Catholic, it would be sainted, but it Aunt.

That brings me to the sequel of this enlightenment: the ruddy Buds have taken over where the Catholics left off. Relics all over place that's for sure!

Talk to someone at lauritz.com, Lasse if you want to know that was a good deal. They are very good with prize estimation. Bth 6000 is approx DKK 1000. Maybe the amulet will cost lots more here.

I don't wear any amulet and I don't believe in it, but that's just me.

a fool and his money are easily parted.

Well for some people it has a meaning, and sometimes a meaning has a price, thats about what its all about in a trading soceity.

Anywhere people are willing to pay for artifacts - weather its historical artifacts, paintings/artwork or religious artifacts - it doesnt really matter.

• 1 year later...
:) Keep the 'newly-moulded' amulets long enough to pass on to your children's children's children and you (or rather, they) are on your own way to having such an amulet in your house. That's what some people are doing I guess - rent (yes, they call it rent, not buy, or so I heard) some amulets newly created from the Wats and pass it on as family heirloom from generation to generation :)

a fool and his money are easily parted.

Well for some people it has a meaning, and sometimes a meaning has a price, thats about what its all about in a trading soceity.

Anywhere people are willing to pay for artifacts - weather its historical artifacts, paintings/artwork or religious artifacts - it doesnt really matter.

And . . . you don't really own it. You can't "buy" a Buddha amulet. You simply rent it for the remainder of "this" life :-)