are the English sh*t at tennis??

Stramash

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The argument for the Brits is that most of the world now speaks English... They conquered parts of Asia, North America, Africa, Australia, and Europe. So for a very small country they have had a very large global impact.

True that the Brits conquered much of the world, But dont be mistaken, The world learned how to speak English through American entertainment, television, music, news papers, etc.

[

The US Economy is Over $13 Trillion Dollars a Year.

Yes, and right now it's in recession.

The other figures you quoted appear to be wrong, I think this is more accurate:

China $7,043,000,000,000

Japan $4,305,000,000,000

from http://www.economywatch.com

China's gonna eat the US someday. I'm not looking forward to that.

I think the world will be in serious crisis environmentally before that happens. Water is going fast from the world aquifers. Food supplies are hard presses to keep up with populations already with the Oceans fishers 3/4 gone. Weather is f*cked etc. If china eats the US it will be in cereal boxes........me thinks

True that the Brits conquered much of the world, But dont be mistaken, The world learned how to speak English through American entertainment, television, music, news papers, etc.

Is that why the second largest country in the world with about 3x the population of the US speaks English with an English accent?

:eh:

The argument for the Brits is that most of the world now speaks English... They conquered parts of Asia, North America, Africa, Australia, and Europe. So for a very small country they have had a very large global impact.

Maybe in the last 50 years but before that the british had spread the language and its prevalence in the world stems from that. Your really pissing in the wind.....

maybe i need to be more clear, The personal Computer, Apple, IBM, Microsoft (American Companies)

The Light Bulb, Film, motion picture.

Well there's a big difference between inventing something and mass producing it. Sure the US used to be good at mass production of other people's inventions :wink: But sadly they don't produce much at all anymore. I will concede that Apple have the best designs though. Their top designer is British by the way 8)

No comparsin. The Bristish Empire is nothing, they conquered nations that where less developed and took their national resources to fill their pockets. They contributed nothing. America has more influence in the World today then Britian, that is why America is the ONLY superpower in the world today. Not britian.

The world runs on money now, not war. Have you noticed the US national debt? I'd say China is the only super power now.

Are you Serious?

:lol: China's economy is not even half of the USA's, the second largest Economy is Japan, Germany and China are close, China's Economy is less then 25% of the US Economy. the Entire European Economy is smaller then that of the USA. Can you comprehend that?

Japans Economy is $4.6 Trillion Dollars

China's Ecomony is a little less then $3 Trillion Dollars

Germany Ecomony is $2.2 Trillion Dollars

The Entire European Union GDP is only $12.9 Trillion Dollars, Less then the USA.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Maidai brings to mind a certain quote...

"America wasn't founded so that we could all be better. America was founded so we could all be anything we damned well pleased."

P.J. O'Rourke

[

Yes, and right now it's in recession.

The other figures you quoted appear to be wrong, I think this is more accurate:

China $7,043,000,000,000

Japan $4,305,000,000,000

from http://www.economywatch.com

China's gonna eat the US someday. I'm not looking forward to that.

When the US economy is in recession, the whole world follows.

the saying goes, the US sneezes the entire world gets a cold.

Ok, the US Economy is almost $14 Trillion dollars now, i was looking at a past year.

Chinese Economy is based mostly on manufacturing and not so much on developing Technology as in the US and Japan. Yet still, with 2.5 billion ppl, China's GDP is still small. And one day if things go the way they are going, China will over take the USA.

I remember when many things were made in either Taiwan or the US, now its just China. The Greed of the US will be its downfall.

Chinese Economy is based mostly on manufacturing and not so much on developing Technology as in the US and Japan. Yet still, with 2.5 billion ppl, China's GDP is still small. And one day if things go the way they are going, China will over take the USA.

I remember when many things were made in either Taiwan or the US, now its just China. The Greed of the US will be its downfall.

Well said. And I think perhaps China is catching up on technology thanks to decades of obtaining manufacturing technology along with export contracts (not to mention simply theiving business and IP from foreign investors).

Maybe in the last 50 years but before that the british had spread the language and its prevalence in the world stems from that. Your really pissing in the wind.....

dude, its was only in the last 50 years the world started to speak english and is pretty much the international lanuange because of the US.

The reason ppl learn English today is so they can do business with the US and can understand American entertainment Not British.

The world wide web is mostly in English because of US industry NOT British industry. Yahoo, Google, AOL, Microsoft, Apple, Myspace, Facebook, Ebay. You name it, it is American Base Not Bristish Base.

The WHole world knows English because of American enterprise, it seems you dont have much of a clue.

well Wimbledon has started (in sunshine for a change)

11 British players started the tournament.

After day 1, 9 were knocked out.

Kinda like the Americans at the Roland Garros . . . almost every year! :roll:

That's the bad news.

The good news is that both players left are Scottish!!!

muahahahahaha

Good luck to Andy Murray and Elena Baltacha!!!

:D

Probably the most under-appreciated player of the past two decades was Tim Henman. He had the bad luck of getting into finals against players who were playing the best tennis of their careers at the time he faced them.

He had an accomplished career, but was often chided by the media for "falling short." His highest ranking was #4 in the world, no small achievement. He brought an Olympic silver medal home to Britain. And he closed out his career with two Davis Cup victories (one in singles and one in doubles) for his country.

More importantly, as Henman matured he brought honor to the game with the high level of sportsmanship he displayed. In that sense, even though he never won a Grand Slam event he ranks with greats like Edberg and Borg.

The LTA has been progressive about growing tennis in England, engaging the coaching skills of Brad Gilbert, who first coached the arrogant, ingrate Murray; and who now coaches Brit #3 Alex Bogdanovic, unfortunately apparently destined to be a journeyman player. Gilbert has a track record of producing Slam winners and can surely do it again--if he gets player(s) with that kind of potential to work with.

When you consider the more than half-million pounds the LTA shelled out for Murray alone, it's obvious that there's an infrastructure for and commitment to development of great tennis in England. However, when you look at top 100 rankings in both men's and women's tennis (1 Brit in each), it becomes a question of whether there's enough hunger among the up-and-comers. Judging by the size of the women's asses I saw waddling around London last month, it looks as though the hunger is for something other than tennis!

dude, its was only in the last 50 years the world started to speak english and is pretty much the international lanuange because of the US.

The reason ppl learn English today is so they can do business with the US and can understand American entertainment Not British.

The world wide web is mostly in English because of US industry NOT British industry. Yahoo, Google, AOL, Microsoft, Apple, Myspace, Facebook, Ebay. You name it, it is American Base Not Bristish Base.

The WHole world knows English because of American enterprise, it seems you dont have much of a clue.

Your so busy beating your chest your not reading. I said stems from. Sure we are the big guy now but the world could be speaking chinese in a hundred years or do you think they will speak british......

So what was the common language of the British Empire (almost 1/5th of the world at one point, prior to 50 years ago? Even Americans don't speak American do they? What is it they speak? Oh yes, English. (Even though they have bastardised that. English is the international language of choice, not because of the american film industry, but because so many people already spoke it. You, and the french might not like it, but thats the way it is. :-)

Sure, the USA has been a land of opportunity, and advancement in many fields, and still is, but the cause of the biggest leaps in science and technology this century was the second world war, and it was german scientists like Werner von Braun helped the american advancement.

Oh yes, and what nationality of engineer did your american film industry choose when they went into space on the Starship Enterprise? which led to those immortal words "Beam me up Scotty". :-)

So what was the common language of the British Empire (almost 1/5th of the world at one point, prior to 50 years ago? Even Americans don't speak American do they? What is it they speak? Oh yes, English. (Even though they have bastardised that. English is the international language of choice, not because of the american film industry, but because so many people already spoke it. You, and the french might not like it, but thats the way it is. :-)

Sure, the USA has been a land of opportunity, and advancement in many fields, and still is, but the cause of the biggest leaps in science and technology this century was the second world war, and it was german scientists like Werner von Braun helped the american advancement.

Oh yes, and what nationality of engineer did your american film industry choose when they went into space on the Starship Enterprise? which led to those immortal words "Beam me up Scotty". :-)

Its silly to point and compare when the US is made up of all of the above.

That's the bad news.

muahahahahaha

We English seem to be sh*t at all the games we invented:football, cricket, did we invent modern tennis? Its the first time that I can remember a Scottish tennis player. Do the Scots play cricket? And as for the football, its got so bad, that I believe there are even Scotsmen who are supporting English teams like Arsenal. Is that right Iain? :-)

That's the bad news.

muahahahahaha

We English seem to be sh*t at all the games we invented:football, cricket, did we invent modern tennis? Its the first time that I can remember a Scottish tennis player. Do the Scots play cricket? And as for the football, its got so bad, that I believe there are even Scotsmen who are supporting English teams like Arsenal. Is that right Iain? :-)

preety much agree, though I think modern tennis was a sort of English/Spanish cooperative 'invention' though its roots are totally English.

Football is a funny one; there are lots of similar games in ancient times but again the game as we know it is English.

As for supporting English teams, I supported Arsenal before any other team as I have links with Arsenal from before I was even born!!!

:)

Mind you, a Scotsman invented basketball and we are utterly sh*t at that!!!

as with most of your posts, you speak through a hole in your ass.

The American entertainement industry has accelerated the use of English, but it was already the dominant global language before television and film.

If it had not been for British colonisation in North America, and the squeezing out of the Spanish and French, English would NOT be the first language of the USA!!!

Bell, Alexander Graham, 1847?1922, American scientist, inventor of the telephone, b. Edinburgh, Scotland, educated at the Univ. of Edinburgh and University College, London; son of Alexander Melville Bell. He worked in London with his father, whose system of visible speech he used in teaching the deaf to talk. In 1870 he went to Canada, and in 1871 he lectured, chiefly to teachers of the deaf, in Boston and other cities. During the next few years he conducted his own school of vocal physiology in Boston, lectured at Boston Univ., and worked on his inventions. His teaching methods were of lasting value in the improvement of education for the deaf.

His research on hearing and speech further led him to experiment with hearing devices which eventually culminated in Bell being awarded the first U.S. patent for the telephone in 1876.

Sure he was born in England but is considered an American by the end of his life, and when he invented the telephone. as i said, American is not an ethnicity. every single American came from some where else.

Al Gore invented the internet, lolzzzz joking

yawnnnn, grade a fool alert, or is he a troll, a facade, a trojan horse?

you spout about everyday American inventions and yes, there are thousands, many of them produced by 2nd generation immigrants, but inventions are normally attributed to the country of birth.

Some 'everyday' Scottish inventions or developments you may take for granted;

the deep fried mars bar (ok, not a good example)

macadimized roads

the bicycle

the pneumatic tyre

tubular steel

the steamship paddle wheel (would the Mississippi have been the same without it?)

the adhesive postage stamp

The US Navy (John Paul Jones)

the postmark

The Bank of England

anaesthetics

Buicks (yes the US cars)

the decimal point

Encyclopedia Britannica

Golf (not sure if we should be proud of this one lol)

Hypodermic syringes

The Kelvin temperature scale

Logarithms

Marmalade

Mackintosh raincoats

Microwave Ovens

Penicillin

Postcards

Radar defence system

Fridges

Quinine (so how many would have died from malaria without?)

The steam engine (which led to an Englishman developing the steam locomotive, without which much of the US would have remained wilderness)

The telephone

Thermos Flasks

Television

breech loading rifles

Sociology AND economics

criminal fingerprinting

the ultrasound scanner

the MRI scanner

identification of the mosquito as the carrier of malaria

insulin

vaccine for typhoid

antiseptics

beta blocker drugs

the coma scale (known as the Glasgow coma scale)

lifejackets

cotton reel thread

The Bank of France (muahahaha)

colour photography

and of course, the digestive biscuit!!!

some of the world's most famour literary figures have their roots here too; Sherlock Holmes, Peter Pan, Robinson Crusoe and Jekyll and Hyde to name but a few.

so for a wee nation of around 5 million, that's not a bad list of achievements, and considering our size again, around 2% of the total US population have Scots ancestry which would be not far shy of our current population.

Nemo me impune lacessit motherf*cker!!!

Bell, Alexander Graham, 1847?1922, American scientist, inventor of the telephone, b. Edinburgh, Scotland, educated at the Univ. of Edinburgh and University College, London; son of Alexander Melville Bell. He worked in London with his father, whose system of visible speech he used in teaching the deaf to talk. In 1870 he went to Canada, and in 1871 he lectured, chiefly to teachers of the deaf, in Boston and other cities. During the next few years he conducted his own school of vocal physiology in Boston, lectured at Boston Univ., and worked on his inventions. His teaching methods were of lasting value in the improvement of education for the deaf.

His research on hearing and speech further led him to experiment with hearing devices which eventually culminated in Bell being awarded the first U.S. patent for the telephone in 1876.

Sure he was born in England but is considered an American by the end of his life, and when he invented the telephone. as i said, American is not an ethnicity. every single American came from some where else.

yawnnnn, grade a fool alert, or is he a troll, a facade, a trojan horse?

you spout about everyday American inventions and yes, there are thousands, many of them produced by 2nd generation immigrants, but inventions are normally attributed to the country of birth.

Some 'everyday' Scottish inventions or developments you may take for granted;

the deep fried mars bar (ok, not a good example)

macadimized roads

the bicycle

the pneumatic tyre

tubular steel

the steamship paddle wheel (would the Mississippi have been the same without it?)

the adhesive postage stamp

The US Navy (John Paul Jones)

the postmark

The Bank of England

anaesthetics

Buicks (yes the US cars)

the decimal point

Encyclopedia Britannica

Golf (not sure if we should be proud of this one lol)

Hypodermic syringes

The Kelvin temperature scale

Logarithms

Marmalade

Mackintosh raincoats

Microwave Ovens

Penicillin

Postcards

Radar defence system

Fridges

Quinine (so how many would have died from malaria without?)

The steam engine (which led to an Englishman developing the steam locomotive, without which much of the US would have remained wilderness)

The telephone

Thermos Flasks

Television

breech loading rifles

Sociology AND economics

criminal fingerprinting

the ultrasound scanner

the MRI scanner

identification of the mosquito as the carrier of malaria

insulin

vaccine for typhoid

antiseptics

beta blocker drugs

the coma scale (known as the Glasgow coma scale)

lifejackets

cotton reel thread

The Bank of France (muahahaha)

colour photography

and of course, the digestive biscuit!!!

some of the world's most famour literary figures have their roots here too; Sherlock Holmes, Peter Pan, Robinson Crusoe and Jekyll and Hyde to name but a few.

so for a wee nation of around 5 million, that's not a bad list of achievements, and considering our size again, around 2% of the total US population have Scots ancestry which would be not far shy of our current population.

Nemo me impune lacessit motherf*cker!!!

i can't believe u missed this bit !!!

u r a f**king knob !!!!!!! so explain to us which part of england edinburgh is in ??

and "who" considers him american ? apart from U !! troll !!!!!!

who the f*ck cares you american hating drunk...

well obviously u f**king care !! geeezzzzzzz !!!!! :roll: :roll:

good point!!! lol