Book/Reading Club

CiaranM

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how about the bible - start with Book of Revelations

Read it, boring!

i thought it was some cool sh*t, but The Oddysey was like, way cooler...

Saw it, and tried to read 3 pages. Didn't understand sh*t. :evil:

maybe best if you didn't try and read it in the original Latin then Nicky... :wink:

especially since the original was in Greek :shock:

how about the bible - start with Book of Revelations

Read it, boring!

i thought it was some cool sh*t, but The Oddysey was like, way cooler...

Saw it, and tried to read 3 pages. Didn't understand sh*t. :evil:

maybe best if you didn't try and read it in the original Latin then Nicky... :wink:

especially since the original was in Greek :shock:

this is very true... :lol:

getting my Aeneid confused with my Odyssey...my bad.

Everyone denies buying Dan Brown?s latest record breaker

Dan Brown?s follow-up to The Da Vinci Code has sold more copies in its first 36 hours of UK release than any other adult hardback novel, despite nobody admitting to buying a copy.

The Lost Symbol, which follows hardcore Sudoku expert Robert Langdon on his latest adventure, has shifted more than 300,000 copies in the UK, presumably all to the same unknown person.

?I haven?t bought it, have you bought it?? asked one commuter this morning.

Another explained, ?I definitely wouldn?t buy it, why would I buy it, do I look like the sort of person that would buy it??

Explanation

We found one commuter with a copy of the book tucked under her arm, when questioned she told us, ?I have no idea what this is. I found it. On the train. Is it yours? You can have it back if you like? Don?t tell anyone about this, will you??

However, Newsarse did manage to find at least one person who said they are looking forward to reading it.

Dave Strange took time out from herding trolleys at his local Tesco to tell us, ?I?d like to read it, yeah. There?s no big words though is there??

?I really really liked his film about Forrest Gump figuring out all them puzzles, it was good.?

If books and beverages are your requirements than this place looks like it's made for this club. 8)

no good Hobbes :(

went there yesterday .... think they must have changed premises recently. no real coffe corner there now. shop is on 3 floors with just 1 small table on each floor only big enough for 3/4 ppl.

now i know finnegans irish bar on soi4 has an upstairs room which would be ideal. our GAA club has used it several times for committee meetings and it would be ideal. however, i'm open to any other suggestions ... anybody any ideas ??

If books and beverages are your requirements than this place looks like it's made for this club. 8)

went there yesterday .... think they must have changed premises recently. no real coffe corner there now. shop is on 3 floors with just 1 small table on each floor only big enough for 3/4 ppl.

now i know finnegans irish bar on soi4 has an upstairs room which would be ideal. our GAA club has used it several times for committee meetings and it would be ideal. however, i'm open to any other suggestions ... anybody any ideas ??

May I humbly suggest some criteria for a location and then make a few suggestions;

1) The location should be large with an area where up to 15 people can gather and relax,

2) It should be located within 5-10 mins walk of a BTS/MRT station. Not a long way down some soi,

3) It should have a good ambience, good food & drink and preferably some cushion chairs/longes so TF member can sit back relax and discuss away. (The lounge can be for nay members who are inspired in the moment by a passionate romance novel),

4) It should not be too expensive so as not to deter those of lower incomes,

5) It should have wifi access in case TF members elsewhere wish to partake in a discussion via whatever live chat/video program is most suitable.

6) A bookshop would be ideal to inspire and provide the ambience, and any refs, but is not necessary in my humble view.

So just off the top of my head;

1) Bug & Bee adjacent to Sala Daeng station on the north side of Silom. The 3rd floor has lots of space,

2) Coffee Club which is just 10 metres east of B&B and has a great 3rd floor area with lots of cushions

3) Balck Canyon Coffee at Esplanade shopping centre. It has great chairs and lounges and is just a few mins from MRT Thai Cultural Centre stn (Not that the TCC is located anywhere near the station.)

Just a few thought

1) Bug & Bee adjacent to Sala Daeng station on the north side of Silom. The 3rd floor has lots of space,

+1

Smoothies, aroi mak! (Singaporean owner)

sounds good to me ... anybody else ??? if ppl r happy with this location i'll post an event this week.

That's my favorite place, I've been there so often for working.

It has nice music... big sofa (on the 3rd floor)

Free Wi Fi, in case we wanna contact with the members who live abroad.

Nice Smoothies (confirm).

+1

looks like a cool spot !!!

http://www.bugandbee.com/02ourshopSilom.htm

Yeah not a bad choice, exit 3 from the station and head east towards Rama IV. Obviously the MRT station is also a few mins away.

Just remembered there is a 4th floor as well but the 3rd fl is perhaps nicer, it opens from 7pm but you can reserve the front section before that is you have a group.

Rule number 2, no farting during book club readings/discussions! (unless it is about Dan Brown)

Rule number 3, dual language Thai/English books as a starter?

Come on, you are just gutted that girl from their website wasn't there to greet you. :twisted:

Come on, you are just gutted that girl from their website wasn't there to greet you. :twisted:

Where is the girl in the pic? I asked Ciaran earlier but he didn't respond - clearly in the hope he would be the only one wooing her! :wink:

Where is the girl in the pic? I asked Ciaran earlier but he didn't respond - clearly in the hope he would be the only one wooing her! :wink:

http://www.dasabookcafe.com/index.php?lay=show&ac=article&Id=14265&Ntype=4

:wink:

Thanks mate...... wow Sinfully delicious indeed. :shock:

On second thought umm, err, Bug & Bee is a **** location and we should revert to the original suggestion!

Thanks mate...... wow Sinfully delicious indeed. :shock:

On second thought umm, err, Bug & Bee is a sh*t location and we should revert to the original suggestion!

well if only 3 of us sign up Dasa will be fine (2 if the girl in the pic is gonna be there) ... any more and it's just gonna be too small !!! :(

girl in the pic wasn't there when i called in on saturday .... :(:(

+1

sounds good to me ... anybody else ??? if ppl r happy with this location i'll post an event this week.

if it suits most ppl i'll post an opening meeting for 7pm wednesday 7th October in Bug & Bee Silom .... and then have a meeting 1st wednesday of every month after that .... OK ????

I'm just wondering ... when will you guys set it up?? We should start somewhere.

we have to read a book first - unless we go with something everyone's read already!! Demons and Angels it is then... :twisted:

that's u f**king banned for life from the book club already !!!! :twisted: :twisted:

f**K that felt soooooooooooooooo good !!!!!! :D

actually Jay i was thinking of just having the first meeting as a get together to establish what we want/expect from the club and select the 1st title at the opening meeting !!!!!!

i was thinking of just having the first meeting as a get together to establish what we want/expect from the club

Honestly? I just want to borrow some books from you guys that i can't bother to spend money on something silly like those written stories of "Farang tourists - Thai hos" or some books i would read just once, put it on the shelve and collecting dust. Those are not available in library either.