World Cup 2010.....

beej

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/football/06/29/blatter.apology.fifa.meeting/?hpt=T2&fbid=0eYOWUAu92e

(CNN) -- FIFA president Sepp Blatter has done a U-turn over the use of goal-line technology and apologized to the English and Mexican football associations for controversial refereeing decisions in their last 16 defeats.

FIFA confirmed to CNN Tuesday that the next meeting of its International FA Board from July 21-22 in Wales would discuss technology but the use of video replays is ruled out.

Frank Lampard's goal that never was as England trailed 2-1 just before halftime in their last 16 match against Germany, prompted widespread calls for the introduction of goal-line technology after his shot clearly crossed the line.

In a later match on Sunday, Argentina's Carlos Tevez scored a hotly-disputed opening goal against Mexico in their 3-1 victory and television replays, which were broadcast on big screens at the ground, showed him to be offside.

Blatter told a media briefing in Johannesburg: "It happened in 1966 and then 44 years later -- though it was not quite the same," the UK's Press Association reported.

This was a reference to England's disputed third goal against West Germany in the 1966 World Cup final where arguments have raged for years over whether Geoff Hurst's shot crossed the line.

"I apologized to England and Mexico.

"The English said 'thank you and accepted that you can win some and you lose some, and the Mexicans bowed their head and accepted it."

But the Swiss is still set against the wider use of video technology where play might be stopped to allow a replay to be examined.

"The only principle we are going to bring back for discussion is goal-line technology," he said

Time for football to embrace technology ?<-------- No duhhh..... :twisted:

"Football is a game that never stops and the moment there was a discussion if the ball was in or out, or there was a goal-scoring opportunity, do we give a possibility to a team to call for replays once or twice like in tennis?

"For situations like the Mexico game you don't need technology."

Blatter added that the world governing body

would launch a new drive to improve refereeing standards at the highest level later this year.

"We will come out with a new model in November on how to improve high level referees," he said.

"We will start with a new concept of how to improve match control. I cannot disclose more of what we are doing but something has to be changed."

(IMHO the questionable England goal that was taken away before halftime took a lot of momentum out of the game. Not only have there been bad goal calls but a lot of non called penalities these refs seem to let their personal preferences get in the way which is the nature of human behavior judgement...Instant Replay takes the emotion out of the equation and forces you to deal with the facts......You don't second guess is that what I thought I saw...Even though it's a bit late and these incidences may tarnish the Cup a bit... I feel it took a lot of guts for Blatter to speak out and not play the denial role that nothing is wrong and these incidents didn't happen. In US sports even though that it goes a bit overboard at times has instant replays. I also hate to admit it but it has improved the quality of play in US sports in general)

I'd only like to see technology used for the ball crossing the line, and goal scoring offside decisions.

agree to a point. I think that while technology may remove the mistakes, it would also remove the controversy and what is normally a free flowing game would become a long drawn out affair like American Football. Perhaps take a leaf from the way tennis uses technology? Each side allowed 3 appeals per game? (but having the goal line tech as standard)

I'd only like to see technology used for the ball crossing the line, and goal scoring offside decisions.

agree to a point. I think that while technology may remove the mistakes, it would also remove the controversy and what is normally a free flowing game would become a long drawn out affair like American Football. Perhaps take a leaf from the way tennis uses technology? Each side allowed 3 appeals per game? (but having the goal line tech as standard)

Thing is they dont even need goal line technology, the cameras are already in place and the 4th official has access to a pitch side monitor.

I think 3 appeals might be too many....maybe just give them one appeal each otherwise you would be undermining the job of the officials too much.

Thing is they dont even need goal line technology, the cameras are already in place and the 4th official has access to a pitch side monitor.

I think 3 appeals might be too many....maybe just give them one appeal each otherwise you would be undermining the job of the officials too much.

Really think we are only talking about 4-5 seconds for a conformation on an offside decision and instant on the ball crossing the line. These decisions only need to be made when there is a goal scored so you're not looking at many instances per game.

er.....................check the final scores :shock:

unfortunately I cant laugh too much cos Ive just been knocked off No1 spot in the league............. :lol:

Ok so hands up who Didn't have David Villa as their captain tonight!!

f*ckin Messi.

TWATS!!

I have David Villa as my squad but didn't put him in the team 'cause I think Podolski, Muller, Tevez got me enough point and didn't want to risk. hehehe....(I had Muller as my captain so it's much better than has Villa as captain) :wink:

oh boys, boys, boys

--- you don't have to take your monthly shot at gridiron...

my god it is a predictable a most women's periods!

----> you only have to look at that other successful colonial game

( another game which the the Mother Island also excels at so profoundly)

---- Ice Hockey ...they have figured it out ..

a guy in the "booth" only stops and reverses the play

when a obvious error has occurred...while it is in question it is "play - on" !

now go back to raggin' on another sport you do not understand! :P

oh boys, boys, boys

Once the man in the ''booth'' gets to have a say and halt play when two players are knocking the living shite out of each other on the 'skating' rink.......then maybe us from a lesser sporting nation may recognize that poofy padded up, helmeted (al la gridiron ) bent sport that is HOCKEY on ice.

PS.....In the UK hockey is only played by girls!

oh boys, boys, boys

Once the man in the ''booth'' gets to have a say and halt play when two players are knocking the living shite out of each other on the 'skating' rink.......then maybe us from a lesser sporting nation may recognize that poofy padded up, helmeted (al la gridiron ) bent sport that is HOCKEY on ice.

PS.....In the UK hockey is only played by girls!

if yer knocking the livin Shite out yer needing some soft pads for it to land on! :roll: poofy...coming from a Breezer man? :oops: __my God!

hahahahaha ..... funniest thing i've read in a long time !!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8774163.stm

Craig Brown thinks Scotland would have progressed at least as far as England at the World Cup if they had qualified for the finals this summer.

"Having seen the England games, I genuinely believe that," said the Motherwell manager.

"Had Scotland been there, we would have done at least as well with the team we have at the moment and the manager we have, Craig Levein."

Brown was the last manager to take the Scots to a major finals.

Scotland finished third behind Netherlands, who have reached the quarter-finals in South Africa, and Norway in their qualifying group under previous manager George Burley.

hahahahaha ..... funniest thing i've read in a long time !!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8774163.stm

Craig Brown thinks Scotland would have progressed at least as far as England at the World Cup if they had qualified for the finals this summer.

"Having seen the England games, I genuinely believe that," said the Motherwell manager.

"Had Scotland been there, we would have done at least as well with the team we have at the moment and the manager we have, Craig Levein."

Brown was the last manager to take the Scots to a major finals.

Scotland finished third behind Netherlands, who have reached the quarter-finals in South Africa, and Norway in their qualifying group under previous manager George Burley.

Yes who needs the likes of Rooney, Lampard and Gerrard when we could have had Berra, Dorrans and Scotland's favorite son Iwelumo lighting up the World Cup.

Broon is the man!!

So who wins the bottle of booze from Beej - the overall league winner or the winner of the world cup knock out mode??

I only found out about this World Cup Knock Out thing today.... should have paid more attention considering I'm the Admin on it.

Going to be a tight last week.