World Cup 2010.....

beej

Being the ever optimist England do have a good chance.

Against Brazil our second team lost 1-0 against their 1st team. There's a definate level of depth to our squad. The new drive the team play under Capello may see us actually perform to our potential- something we've not seen england do in many years.

I think the main competition comes from Germany and Spain, don't fear any other teams really.

I thought our 2nd team were crap.....a lot of those that played on saturday may as well book another trip to Qatar next summer because they played their way out of the squad.

Bent, Brown, Foster, Bridge and Lescott are not international standard. I would now put SWP behind Lennon and Milner (and walcott if fit).

Our first 11 have a chance but we do not have the depth of other nations. I think we have a solid core of 15 players so a few injuries and we're fcked.

P.S. I think Bosnia might do one over Portugal.

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes we played crap with some shocking displays. However it was still 1-0 against a 1st team Brazil....

I'm not saying any of those guys can be core to our team but **** if we can have as you say that core 15 players and some of these guys only coming in is neccessary.... well

I'm being optimistic. As you have to be to follow England, but this year due to manager we are getting close to our potential. Now for some of these players if they believe we may actually make a real run at it.

One person who is still killing me is Gerrard- one of best players in the world really fails for England.

Yes we played crap with some shocking displays. However it was still 1-0 against a 1st team Brazil....

I'm not saying any of those guys can be core to our team but sh*t if we can have as you say that core 15 players and some of these guys only coming in is neccessary.... well

I'm being optimistic. As you have to be to follow England, but this year due to manager we are getting close to our potential. Now for some of these players if they believe we may actually make a real run at it.

One person who is still killing me is Gerrard- one of best players in the world really fails for England.

FFS .... if Brazil had decided to get out of 2nd or 3rd gear it could have been 3 or 4-0 no problems !!! England r (probably) good enough to qualify from the group stages and then get beat by the first top side they meet ... same as every other tournament !!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

I'm not saying any of those guys can be core to our team but sh*t if we can have as you say that core 15 players and some of these guys only coming in is neccessary.... well

FFS .... if Brazil had decided to get out of 2nd or 3rd gear it could have been 3 or 4-0 no problems !!! England r (probably) good enough to qualify from the group stages and then get beat by the first top side they meet ... same as every other tournament !!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Agree with the first part although i would expect us to reach the quarter finals possibly the semis at a push.

Brazil and Germany are shadows of their former selves, Argentina are in turmoil and Portugal and Russia (who would be my dark horses) are on the brink of not qualifying.

The only teams i would fear a spanking from at the moment are the Spanish and the Dutch as they both had excellent qualifying campaigns. There are several other teams that could cause us problems but if we avoid injuries and the draw is reasonably kind we have just as good a chance as anyone......Spain were the ultimate undachievers of international football before 2008 and now it's England.

Good luck to the Oirish tomorrow against France (another former power in turmoil).

Agree with the first part although i would expect us to reach the quarter finals possibly the semis at a push.

Brazil and Germany are shadows of their former selves, Argentina are in turmoil and Portugal and Russia (who would be my dark horses) are on the brink of not qualifying.

The only teams i would fear a spanking from at the moment are the Spanish and the Dutch as they both had excellent qualifying campaigns. There are several other teams that could cause us problems but if we avoid injuries and the draw is reasonably kind we have just as good a chance as anyone......Spain were the ultimate undachievers of international football before 2008 and now it's England.

Good luck to the Oirish tomorrow against France (another former power in turmoil).

well england r usually seeded to make it to the quarters, but after the media has convinced everybody they r gonna win the damm thing, it seems like a disaster when they eventually lose ... on penalties !!!

i think spain r definitely the team to beat, but brazil, netherlands and italy will all be tough to beat and we know what the germans r like once they qualified !!

cheers for the good luck ... i think we r gonna need it ... but here's hoping !!!

i think spain r definitely the team to beat, but brazil, netherlands and italy will all be tough to beat and we know what the germans r like once they qualified !!

Finally, someone who understands Football, :roll:

Haha i forgot about Italy, defending champions, how silly of me.

I would put them just behind Spain and the Netherlands. Their attacking players do not scare me as much as the Spanish and Dutch but they are certainly stronger defensively.

Henry should be thoroughly ashamed of himself. Even as a Spurs fan I cannot dispute his talents but to openly cheat like that is embarrassing. He will be remembered for this for a long long time. I wonder what Platini has to say about it?!

Ireland played well, they should have taken more of their chances but to be denied a place in the world cup by a blatant double handball is sickening.

Surely this only strengthens the case for video evidence. Each manager can dispute one decision per game and ask for video evidence, similar to challenges in tennis.

Hmmm... I feel for the Irish, no doubt that was cheating.

But here's a question for you... You're playing in the world cup qualifiers, your whole country is depending upon you and the ball bounces up....

Do you...

a) take the chance and put your country through?

B) risk not qualifying?

I think, I'd probably go with a)

I know it's cheating, but it's such an integral part of the game, you can't avoid it anymore.

That said.... dirty, cheating bastard!

(And Drogba, and Ngog, and Ronaldo, and Eduardo.... and... etc etc etc)

Highway robbery! Where is Ciaran this morning with a page full of expletives for Henry?

EB makes a good point regarding the status of the game and pressure that players have to deal with in such a big game.

However, it is a very slippery slope which is leading to a more common acceptance by sportspeople that you have to do whatever it takes, no matter hwo blatant. Where is fairness and integrity going in international sport?

IF FIFA had some balls, they should creatively interpret the rules, cancel the result (given that it was such a late goal in the game and did not give the Irish a chance to reply) and order a rematch at a neutral venue with Henry banned from playing. That would send a clear and umbiguous message.

I often wonder how the public would react to a REAL honest player.

I believe that if a player stood up and said, "Ref... that wasn't a penalty, he got the ball first.", the footballing public would LOVE him.

Can you imagine how proud fans would be if their team, their WHOLE team played sportingly?

Called their own fouls? Didn't try to claim corners and throw-ins that weren't theirs?

I think they'd be ******* heroes.

I think what Thierry Henri did was wrong and I personally lose respect for any person conducting themselves in a dishonest manner, regardless if it occurs in sport or any other aspect in life.

However, FIFA cannot change the result. They can only learn from the mistake and put the required processes into place, to ensure these errors are minimised or eradicated in the future.

Maybe they could add an additional referee, or go to the video replay (which I think spoils the momentum of a game).

I think FIFA needs to do something, otherwise they're just neglecting the integrity of the sport.

Robbie Fowler once refused a penalty after the ref had given it to him- only real example i've seen in football of a player being really sporting.

It's difficult though- football is a business, players are employed and partly paid on results. Fans may approve of sporting behaviour.

Here's a Romanian guy - Costin - refusing a penalty.... great tackle and lovely sportsmanship. Ref gave a drop ball instead which they kicked over the line for a goal kick.

In 1996 Robbie Fowler DID refuse a penalty issued against David Seaman while playing at Arsenal... but the ref wouldn't change his mind!

Fowler won the FIFA Fair Play Award that year.