Core 2 Duo / i3 / i5

Chatty

The problem with this logic is that if you stop and think about it the rate at which hardware has developed over the last decade alone, it is such that anybody who buys a computer a laptop today is buying something which would have cost thousands of dollars only a few years ago.

So let’s consider Photoshop and video editing, In the strictest sense there is almost nothing that would be ever fast enough if you want to think like that, even though there are actual limits to how much you can get out of a software program regardless of the hardware.

You talk like software and commercial hardware stood still but processors, kept on going...

Photos are now 15mp up to 25mp just on entry level cameras (40+ on commercial cams) A 20,000b lappy would lock up for an hour using CS4's gaussian blur on an image from my current camera..

Pure HD content is 1gb for every couple of minutes.. thats 25 frames x 1900 pixels for just a second of video (maybe you still think 640x480 is the norm)... convert 40 minutes of that and your 20,000 laptop is out of use for 6 hours or more.

My state of the art notebook comes to a crawl doing this type of work which should really be left to the desktop in reality. 8 core technology still crunches away on HD content, so no, my logic is not wrong... this is my business.

Stick to the stuff you know mate, spreadsheets presumably?

I am Sticking to the stuff I know mate! I am useless with spreadsheets and I have no idea why on earth you would think I use them?

Of course there have been plenty of software advances too but even allowing for that a laptop with a 512 mb graphics and the other specs is more than enough for ......

Of course you are right to say you can always do better and want faster times etc etc to do things etc However as I have tried to point out if we use your logic then the specs needed for to do the things your talking about would be way to costly for people.

The fact is that HD and photo shop stuff can be handled fine by any decent Laptop. Compare someone using PS or Flash in 1999 [just say] and now lets compare someone using same in 2010 Who do we think is going to be able to work faster on their machine?

Thats all I am really trying to point out. Yes ALL of the software and hardware are far better now and EVEN though there is huge demands made by the software [look at gaming!] the fact is that for general use by the general public who are going to buy a machine off the street you simply can not go wrong [almost] A modern machine now is incredibly powerful and we are only talking about degrees of faster better etc etc.

In the case of full on industrial levels of production then there will always be a situation in which you want more faster better etc etc. I do a fair amount of editing in PS and HD and yes at times I get impatient at having to wait when doing filters or video editing but I still think in terms of comparing with years before and considering what it is I am getting the machine to do for me. In that sense I regard the thing as flying along and feel that the capacity of a 20 k machine is more than enough for the vast majority of people who would be using a machine for video editing and PS etc etc

These things are all relative. HD has only really exploded in the last 2-3 years for the general public so the spec demands will only get higher and higher.

Ultimately you are right about the fact that yes when it comes to PS and video editing then yes you can never really have enough power specs to do all you want to do as fast as you want it done, but sure is that not true of anything?

Like wouldnt it be great if I could fly from Dublin to bangkok in 1 or 2 hours? It is all a question of what we get used to and all I was pointing out was that 20k baht will get you something that people could only dream of 5/10 years ago.

Would you not agree that is a reasonable comment?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am Sticking to the stuff I know mate! I am useless with spreadsheets and I have no idea why on earth you would think I use them?

i expect he was being generous and trying to find something you're good at because you have ably demonstrated that you don't know the first thing about image editing or video editing.

When I edit images (real images not holiday snaps) neither my brand new mac book, or even mid range imac can handle it with any speed. Even the Mrs's PC comes to a grinding hault at even the thought of taking on the task.

A serious 8 core dedicated power mac is needed to handle these files with any workable speed.

Simple.... holiday snaps are fine on any old laptop made over the past 2 years.

Proper big professional files and images, don't even dream about it.

i expect he was being generous and trying to find something you're good at because you have ably demonstrated that you don't know the first thing about image editing or video editing.

And you have just done your usual smartass comment.Well done!

I think I know quite enough about image editing and video editing thank you very much! But your such a smartass we can take it that nobody knows more than you!

When I edit images (real images not holiday snaps) neither my brand new mac book, or even mid range imac can handle it with any speed. Even the Mrs's PC comes to a grinding hault at even the thought of taking on the task.

A serious 8 core dedicated power mac is needed to handle these files with any workable speed.

Congrats on making a full contribution.

So all those people all over the world working with computers that have less specs than the "serious 8 core" are wasting their time energy etc etc.

It is all relative and of course, it is great if you can have faster, better etc etc.

The proof of this is simply to ask what were people [PROs in the field] doing 5 or ten years ago? Coz according to the logic offered people would nearly have had to be using super computers to work.

As time goes by more can be done with less etc etc and in general anybody with a new Laptop that has a 512 nmb graphics card will do just fine!

So all those people all over the world working with computers that have less specs than the "serious 8 core" are wasting their time energy etc etc.

It is all relative and of course, it is great if you can have faster, better etc etc.

The proof of this is simply to ask what were people [PROs in the field] doing 5 or ten years ago? Coz according to the logic offered people would nearly have had to be using super computers to work.

As time goes by more can be done with less etc etc and in general anybody with a new Laptop that has a 512 nmb graphics card will do just fine!

Sheesus,Mary and Joseph. They're giving their opinion, thats all. As a "standard" user you are right, a normal laptop will suffice, but if you need to do bulky tasks, it will take forever for a "standard" laptop to achieve it. Thats it.

I think people in roughly the same field of work as bcool were giving advice cos they've been there and need computers for the same tasks.

Its good Friday and Easter weekend, take a break.

Sheesus,Mary and Joseph. They're giving their opinion, thats all. As a "standard" user you are right, a normal laptop will suffice, but if you need to do bulky tasks, it will take forever for a "standard" laptop to achieve it. Thats it.

I think people in roughly the same field of work as bcool were giving advice cos they've been there and need computers for the same tasks.

Its good Friday and Easter weekend, take a break.

And sure, was that not all I was doing too? Giving an OPINION and yes I do plenty of image editing and video editing with a Laptop that cost around 600 Euro!

Ok I'll take that break now.

You ******* mug, 5 years ago I wouldn't have been shooting on a 40 mega pixel camera.

I wouldn't have been edition scans that are 5gb each, imagine sticking that on Photoshop and editing it 100 times on your piece of **** laptop.

You f*cking mug, 5 years ago I wouldn't have been shooting on a 40 mega pixel camera.

I wouldn't have been edition scans that are 5gb each, imagine sticking that on Photoshop and editing it 100 times on your piece of sh*t laptop.

NoReasonsMan making friends and influencing people in all the right places.

But wait... soon he will tell you he doesn't need to check the minutia because he is more concerned with the "BIG PICTURE".

Its obvious to anyone who works with really large image files that even with the most hard core laptop its still a push to even get the job done.

ESPECIALLY when working with Photoshop to any degree.

If however your biggest file is 4 or 5mb in size I'm sure a goodish laptop can deal with it to a certain extent.

The proof of this is simply to ask what were people [PROs in the field] doing 5 or ten years ago? Coz according to the logic offered, people would nearly have had to be using super computers to work.

You f*cking mug, 5 years ago I wouldn't have been shooting on a 40 mega pixel camera.

I wouldn't have been edition scans that are 5gb each, imagine sticking that on Photoshop and editing it 100 times on your piece of sh*t laptop.

And no doubt you think it is normal /standard to be shooting with a 40 mega pixel camera!

It is not!

Yet!

Of course you have to start your post with profanity as usual.

NoReasonsMan making friends and influencing people in all the right places.

But wait... soon he will tell you he doesn't need to check the minutia because he is more concerned with the "BIG PICTURE".

And of course your whole point of posting was to be a smartass again!

Too bad I don't care much about ex-pat males on this website.

Nah I'd find very few people from that bunch I would want to be friends with. But as for many of the wonderful Thai women on this site? Ah well there I am happy to get to know [discretely] and befriend many wonderful people whose views and thoughts I respect greatly.

I'm laughing my ass off! It's KyotoKoala all over again!

Discreetly meet your wonderful Thai girls online from the other side of the world and thrill them with your political acumen and critique of their nation. Tell them how much you respect their opinions - assuming they aren't smart enough to disagree with you.

And then send them some money to further your jai dee status...

What a joke! I understand it now. You were here for a short while. You screwed around a bit and had to go home. Now you want to be a 'Thai expert' by browsing websites.

And when you see I'm living here, eight years of blissful, stress-free life, it burns you up as you are stuck in cold, wet miserable Europe surrounded by girls who aren't interested in your pontifications.

Tough **** - I'm living the life (and I run rings around you in these forums daily). Think I'll go out for a cold beer to celebrate... now... who should I call? lol

addendum - Miss Juu - a 26 year old photographer from Korea - very cute. I think you'd like her... she might even like you... but she met me first... lol Too bad, you could have told her what a cool guy Kim Jong-il is...

The proof of this is simply to ask what were people [PROs in the field] doing 5 or ten years ago? Coz according to the logic offered, people would nearly have had to be using super computers to work.

And no doubt you think it is normal /standard to be shooting with a 40 mega pixel camera!

It is not!

Yet!

Get used to it already princess.

It is not!

Yet!

Its what to quote {Pro's in the field} use these days.

I took it as we were talking about [Pro's in the field] and not Joe Bloggs.

A Professinal Camera 5 - 10 years ago shot images which were tiny, scanners also were producing smaller file sizes.

A Professional Camera these days shoots an image 20, 30, 40 times the size of back then, meaning your tatty old lap top has to be a good bit faster now a days.

I'm laughing my a*s off! It's KyotoKoala all over again!

Discreetly meet your wonderful Thai girls online from the other side of the world and thrill them with your political acumen and critique of their nation. Tell them how much you respect their opinions - assuming they aren't smart enough to disagree with you.

And then send them some money to further your jai dee status...

What a joke! I understand it now. You were here for a short while. You screwed around a bit and had to go home. Now you want to be a 'Thai expert' by browsing websites.

And when you see I'm living here, eight years of blissful, stress-free life, it burns you up as you are stuck in cold, wet miserable Europe surrounded by girls who aren't interested in your pontifications.

Tough sh*t - I'm living the life (and I run rings around you in these forums daily). Think I'll go out for a cold beer to celebrate... now... who should I call? lol

addendum - Miss Juu - a 26 year old photographer from Korea - very cute. I think you'd like her... she might even like you... but she met me first... lol Too bad, you could have told her what a cool guy Kim Jong-il is...

Now you really are making ME LAUGH. You are tripping here. Seriously deluded and just plain bonkers - but in an amusing/funny and entertaining way.

Sorry to say you are way off on so many levels here. But you are right about the weather being terrible here, and yeah sure I love being in Thailand too [not right now though]

In general I can only say more power to you if your finding so much happiness there. I think that's great! I would never begrudge anybody of the delights I am sure you are constantly having there. Best of luck with that.

I do, in part, admire anybody [farang] who can live in Thailand year in and year out and not merely survive but actually carve out a nice life for themselves. SO shock horror I do take my hat off to you on that score.

As for myself well no need to worry I would be the first to admit if I wanted to live in Thailand full-time. I don't!

Now if I was super rich then yeah Id live there for maybe six months of the year. Now that you mention it yeah I could easily feel jealous of you about that cute Korean girl, but hey, fair is fair. You are there now, I am not so more power to you. Mind you both of us could easily be accused of being rather sad to be posting so much on here.

My excuse is that it is a distraction and something of an escape from as you rightly say "cold, wet miserable Europe " but how about you? Your living the stress free blissful life? Right? Well as I say more power to you and well done!

My only thought is that if I was in your shoes I would like to think I would almost never be wasting time on just about any website like this, for why would I need to? Id be too busying enjoying myself [well I hope I would ] and relishing that whole stress free blissful lifestyle you refer to.

There is one thing that I would freely admit that I am indeed in awe of is your ability to speak Thai. That is very impressive indeed and yeah I'd be very envious and in awe of that.

It is not!

Yet!

c*nt.

Get used to it already princess.

No problem!

It is not!

Yet!

Its what to quote {Pro's in the field} use these days.

I took it as we were talking about [Pro's in the field] and not Joe Bloggs.

A Professinal Camera 5 - 10 years ago shot images which were tiny, scanners also were producing smaller file sizes.

A Professional Camera these days shoots an image 20, 30, 40 times the size of back then, meaning your tatty old lap top has to be a good bit faster now a days.

You know all I am really saying is that your well ahead of most people!

40 mega pixel camera? Even allowing for the huge advances made upwards that would be a pretty rare enough camera - even for many pros.

From a your perspective yeah it is understandable that you would have such high demands and expectations of performance and a disdain for anything less than these expectations. So yeah you could say ur right from that position.

I think to cut a looooooong story short:

People who can afford 40 MP cameras don't need to shop for a 20.000 baht laptop...

If your budget is 20.000 baht, you're probably working with 5-7 MP pictures, and a 512-1024 MB GPU with 4GB of RAM is sufficient...

Allseasonsman:

You are right IF you are using the same software from 5 years ago on a modern laptop... So XP with office 2000, photoshop 8 or 9 or something like that.....

Problem is that if you compare the end result from software THAT OLD with what the modern software can do, you will lose your clients...

Also, what would take hours to do with the software that was released 5-8 years ago now can be accomplished with a few simple clicks. (special effects and AI etc.etc.)

Computer hard and software is evolving so fast nowadays, that if you want to stay a "pro" in the business and want to be able to compete in the market of photo/video editing, you need to use modern technology and modern programs... and therefor.... a faster machine....

Adobe Launches a new CS every year or 2, faster videocards with new options are being released on a monthly bases, (cuda, fermi), Intel and AMD are sharpening their knifes in an all out war trying to release faster cpu's with more and more cores (new 8core xeons with Hyperthreading, VS new 12core opteron from AMD) and NVIDIA and ATI are at it with their new GPU's as well (ATI's new 5870 with Eyefinity VS new GTX 470-480 from NVidia)...

If you knowledge isn't up to date on available computer hard- and software, and with up-to-date I mean maximum 1 month old, and if you don't have experience working with professional applications, ACDSee and Windows Moviemaker ARE NOT...., then don't get caught up in discussions like this...

I think to cut a looooooong story short:

People who can afford 40 MP cameras don't need to shop for a 20.000 baht laptop...

If your budget is 20.000 baht, you're probably working with 5-7 MP pictures, and a 512-1024 MB GPU with 4GB of RAM is sufficient...

Allseasonsman:

You are right IF you are using the same software from 5 years ago on a modern laptop... So XP with office 2000, photoshop 8 or 9 or something like that.....

Problem is that if you compare the end result from software THAT OLD with what the modern software can do, you will lose your clients...

Also, what would take hours to do with the software that was released 5-8 years ago now can be accomplished with a few simple clicks. (special effects and AI etc.etc.)

Computer hard and software is evolving so fast nowadays, that if you want to stay a "pro" in the business and want to be able to compete in the market of photo/video editing, you need to use modern technology and modern programs... and therefor.... a faster machine....

Adobe Launches a new CS every year or 2, faster videocards with new options are being released on a monthly bases, (cuda, fermi), Intel and AMD are sharpening their knifes in an all out war trying to release faster cpu's with more and more cores (new 8core xeons with Hyperthreading, VS new 12core opteron from AMD) and NVIDIA and ATI are at it with their new GPU's as well (ATI's new 5870 with Eyefinity VS new GTX 470-480 from NVidia)...

If you knowledge isn't up to date on available computer hard- and software, and with up-to-date I mean maximum 1 month old, and if you don't have experience working with professional applications, ACDSee and Windows Moviemaker ARE NOT...., then don't get caught up in discussions like this...

That's a fair summary.

For the record I use Adobe CS4 suite [CS5 is on the way I know] and corel videostudio pro x3 which I find is great for doing stuff quickly, most HD footage.

Most PROs are not going to be doing something like Avatar so alot can be done without needing to have the very best and latest hardware or even software. But yeah ideally it is very good to have fast machines with the latest to specs. Problem is that you can never get ahead with that mindset. At some point you have to say this or that is more than good enough to do what you want to do even if it means you lose time in terms of productivity. Sometimes slower has many advantages too. More considered work sometimes more attention to detail. All just depends.