English Proficiency Wordlwide

admin

Philippines got a lot of dialects just like Thailand has. However, those dialects are still being used locally or abroad (Pride of Dialects). English is a must second language for Filipinos for them to be competitive anywhere in the World. Even America acknowledges it that they even hire English teachers in the Philippines. It's not a surprise that sometimes you even find that they are very articulate on it. Having American English, English English, French, Italian, Deutch, Niponggo, Mandarin, Hokkien, Arabic, Parsi or whatever second language you like wouldn't be a hindrance if the government solely supports it. Look at China and Japan, they are like Thailand you need to learn their language instead of them learning yours.

I would add that Filipinos tend to react to the changing market better than many other places (not just Thailand). When trends indicated that the US was unable to keep up with demand for nursing staff in hospitals the Philippines started cranking out nurses like crazy. They beefed up the education, incentivized women to go into nursing, and sent them off to the US to make good money.

I would add that Filipinos tend to react to the changing market better than many other places (not just Thailand). When trends indicated that the US was unable to keep up with demand for nursing staff in hospitals the Philippines started cranking out nurses like crazy. They beefed up the education, incentivized women to go into nursing, and sent them off to the US to make good money.

i wonder is Ces has got a nurses uniform ?? ;-)

Talking about English Teachers, we should concern about the way they teach too? Cuz everytime I talk about Wallstreet teaching technic, it's web-base training, my friends who are English Teacher not agree with it. I don't know I just tried them only one time while I site visit.. (Learning to do self-learning and my company also has contract with the institue) The lesson, they have some listening parts and answer some questions, then there are some conversation and after listening students have to speak out and listen to themselves voices, I like this part the most.

For me, the successful key is encourage Thai ppl to speak English, take away all our shy... Oh, many Thai don't wanna lose their face, that's why we don't like to speak English.

I don't know how English teachers teach in Thailand nowadays, but when I was in school my English teachers (Thais) often say .."repeat after me"... and as a result, I still can't pronounce "time" correctly. When I met English_Bob last September, I told him a story of my 20 years old nephew never took a "bus" , and EB went like... He never took a bath!!!.. (That's darn funny when I think of it.LOL)

Slightly off topic here, as you know when Thais (or any foreigners) come to Denmark before they get permanence resident (I call it a pink card, because it's pink) they must study Danish. In the old days, Danish language schools will divide us into 2 groups. One is those who went to school less than 10 years and the other is those who have got university degrees. The schools used different techniques in teaching the language to foreigners but at the end everybody must pass the exams. I remember some Thai who went to school in Thailand for less than 8 years, they pass the exams with exception good result. That means we are not stupid. ไชโย!!!!!!!!! ;D

I think you're right about some of Thai don't want to lose our face and some of us are shy when it comes to speaking English to foreigners (specially to Farangs). We're also too polite *wink* to ask when we don't understand what others say. But I think we are getting better in English in comparison to 20 years ago.

Edited by pandorea

I agree. Whatever the supply and demand is. Expect Philippines, India and other southeast Asian countries to beefed up the needs when it comes to manpower.

lol... compare with Thai nurse speaking English, she told a patient "Sit Before" meant "Please take a seat"

I almost tear my hair... turn to my big boss, he was quite shocked what we had heard...lol

"Sit before" Thai language "Nung Gon" Nung=Sit, Gon=Before. hrrrrrrrrrrr

Good to be exported?

lol... compare with Thai nurse speaking English, she told a patient "Sit Before" meant "Please take a seat"

I almost tear my hair... turn to my big boss, he was quite shocked what we had heard...lol

"Sit before" Thai language "Nung Gon" Nung=Sit, Gon=Before. hrrrrrrrrrrr

Good to be exported?

Don't worry too much about that Nong 1. Danish nurses are not good in English either. They don't learn much English, believe me.

I would rather have Thai nurses working in Thailand than go abroad. We haven't got enough people work in health-care in Thailand, why would we want them to work outside Thailand???

Btw, my aunt is a nurse in USA, she imported herself there about 30 years ago. Her English wasn't good but after she has been working in LA for years, she's turned to be very good in Spanish... too many Mexicans patients, I guess. ;D

Edited by pandorea

• 1 year later...
I read from an article that Singapore and Philippines were not included to take the test anymore mainly because these two countries have already the most number of English speakers compared to their neighbors in the ASEAN region.

It's kinda sad because I hear a lot of people in the US talking about outsourcing and it's always about the Philippines. Every now and then people throw in Malaysia, Vietnam, and a few other places but Thailand is neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever on the list of places people talk about.

And it mostly comes down to English skills. For instance, I know several people who outsource writing jobs to the Philippines. Some have even moved to the Philippines and handle finding writers for other people who want to outsource. Pay is about 11,000 or 12,000 baht per month for sitting in front of a computer and rewriting news stories. Plus, they get an extra month's pay every year (common in the Philippines), holidays, and other corporate-style benefits. My guess is the total package comes out to around 15,000 - 20,000 baht per month which isn't necessarily bad pay. Especially when you consider that your employer is on the other side of the world so you could work a part-time day job and do something like this at night (which many of the Filipino hires do).

I had a friend who was making a ton of cash with a similar sort of business. He met a Thai girl in the US and moved to Isaan with her. Spent a ton of money trying to get people to learn his business and take over his day to day operations but he couldn't find enough people who had English and computer skills. He even tried teaching computer classes to people for free just to get at some raw talent but people would come once or twice and lose interest (mai sanook).

So, guess where he ended up outsourcing his work to? The Philippines :-)

It's really sad too because this guy was basically willing to show people how to print money. When they left him they could make $100,000 USD a year, easy. For him, he was looking at it as a charity thing. He pictured this business where he would hire people, train them to do what he does, and they would go off and start their own business (possibly with his investment) in another niche but using the skills he taught them. But nobody wanted to do it because it's pretty tedious, boring work.

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Admin viewpost-right.png

i wonder is Ces has got a nurses uniform ?? ;-)

We export maids too. Fancy a Filipino in a french maid uniform? :twisted:

Some u.s. cities are horribly with their english. Try going down south and understanding some red neck slang or going to a major metropolitan city where a good percentage of the people do not understand english too well.

Now compare that to cities outside the u.s. in a country like norway. 69% are proficient with english, but a certain city in norway (and i am just throwing this out there because i dont really know), but a certain city might have 91% in norway. That beats some u.s. cities where the proficiency % could be 85%

Now compare that to cities outside the u.s. in a country like norway. 69% are proficient with english, but a certain city in norway (and i am just throwing this out there because i dont really know), but a certain city might have 91% in norway. That beats some u.s. cities where the proficiency % could be 85%

so u have just made that up and really have no idea whether english is better in norway than the u.s !!!! jesus wept !!! :rolleyes:

Denmark is on nr.3??? I'm surprised, kind of. Children in DK start learning English FAR later than children in Thailand. High school students can choose to learn English from level C to A, meaning you don't need to pass exam in level A English to finish high school...(Kaere Danskere, correct me if I'm wrong)

One of the reason that make Danish people scored high in English (IMO) could be that most Danish are traveling around. It's a part of their life style. Most children before age of 18 have spent their holidays outside Denmark and American is on the top of the must-visit-countries list. The other reason that I can think of is that children watching movie in original soundtrack English, French, German or even Chinese. It helps a bit.

I am not going to correct You because You are not wrong ;) but this being a very old thread getting new life I am going to comment a bit...

When I was a kid, some 40-45 yeas ago, we had 1 danish TV channel, we who lived in Copenhagen, could see 2 swedish TV channels and that was it... in Funen and south Jutland, they had a danish channel and german TV, german TV was syncronized - Humphrey Bogart would say : Spiel es noch einmal Sam...

And my cousins from that part of Denmark speak very well German, but poorly english... Danish and Swedish TV didn't sync... so if we saw an french movie, it would be in french, and english in english... And Humphrey always said : You played it for her, you can play it for me... If she can stand it, I can! Play it! (he never say "play it again")...

There seem to be more interesting (or maybe cheap) movies coming out of US than France, so we watched more american movies, and thus learned to speak english more or less like John Wayne : "Out here, due process is a bullet." and "somebody oughta belt you in the mouth. But I won't, I won't. The h*ll I won't!"

And yes, the younger generations (we always went to either Sweden, Norway or Germany in my time as a kid) - but my first trip outside of Denmark (without my parents) was to London...

My kids even the youngest has been to many parts of the earth (also Thailand) that I didn't even know existed when I was still a kid, but after I grew older I have been travelling 2-3 times (mostly to different destinations) a year, so You are right thet Younger generations of danes, they do trave a lot, and it is part of our culture too...

In the 19. century it was common practice for Young (men) at the universities of Denmark, to go to Italy (Rome and Amalfi) as an educational journey... Hans Christian Andersen, Bertel Thorvaldsen, Kierkegaard and Carl Jacobsen (Carlsberg beer) are just a few of that lot, that You might know about...

When I hear my kids generation speak english I really do't recognize it as even being a language :D I guess I can not put here what a "normal" sentence sound like (this is after all a nice webpage) but more f... words than any other words...