Found great GF, now what?

SKYWARRIOR

Since returning from Thailand after a 3 week visit, and meeting many great ladies, I have the blues for my #1 GF. I established a Skype acct and have spoke with her daily, but really miss her. BTW, I am a grandfather with a school boy crush on this lady. I'm sure many of us older guys have been in the same situation, any advice? All replies welcome!

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK... now I'm smelling a troll.

Definitely not a troll...I spent a few days with Bruce (SKYWARRIOR) up in Isaan at our good friend's wedding and had them over my house for a BBQ (one of those pool party days). Bruce isn't just looking for reactions...he really is a Thailand newbie. He has a huge heart, but (sorry Bruce) is completely naive when it comes to the whole Thailand experience.

That being said, however harsh it is, he does need some advice here, or else he'll start sending money to a girl he met at Climax.

Bruce, the best advice I can give you is to get a hobby for the next year or so while you're stuck in the states. Please don't send her any money. Go ahead and talk to her often, but try to leave it just at that. You need something to get your mind off of the schoolboy love...That's why I recommend finding a new hobby in the meantime (maybe start to learn Thai).

You will be living out here soon enough. Don't rush into anything, and put things into perspective. You had a great week with a girl that you know nothing about. You had a great few weeks in a country you know nothing about. Enjoy the fact that you had such a wonderful time, and don't get too caught up in the lust of the moment.

Blame my natural cynicism....

Sorry Bruce.

Your gf isn't your gf until you live in Thailand. Until then she is still fair game for hordes of young Thai guys and farang expats.

You are just going down the road of heartbreak and financial ruin.

Wait until you come back to Thailand and start again.

Look at it from her perspective, she's probably looking to hook up with a guy that can support her financially for the rest of her life. She's aware that beauty is a fading quality and so every day she hasn't achieved her goal is another day she's lost. Of course she'll tell you anything you want to hear while you're back home and there are probably 10 other guys doing the same thing. She's keeping her options open which means that if some other Thai guy or expat comes along before you can seal the deal then that's your tough luck.

Believe me, once you move here you'll see this for what it is. You go out and you see the same thing over and over and over again enough you'll know that, just like English Bob said, she's not your girlfriend until you're living together. And even then she might be looking to trade up.

Dear Sir

To give you more helpful advice perhaps you could tell us a bit more?

Where did you meet this girl? What doe's she do for work? If entering a long distance relationship with her do you expect her to be faithful?

I don't wish to be intrusive on your personal life but this information would be helpful to give you the advice you need.

I have been in your situation. When I was just 20 years old I met and fell in love with a beautiful thai lady whilst on holiday in Thailand and like you I was a Thai newbie and completely naive. I ended up supporting this girl for years....trying to help her make a life for herself (as she had asked me to help her do) and me visiting her every 6 months or so (I live in England). To cut a long story short she cheated on me with AT LEAST 5 other guys during the 2 years and after all I did for her she ended up dumping me by sms telling me "sorry,I have man from Finland now,him can good take care me and my family more you etc..."

Again I don't wish to be rude but if you spent a week with this girl during a 3 week holiday its almost certain you met her in a bar or disco and therefore she makes her living by "working in the night". Also as you are back in the US and I assume not sending her money she is almost certainly still doing this to make her living.

Sorry if I seem harsh but I just want to make you aware of what you could be getting into. Take a step back and think things through. Thailand and thai women do strange things to a mans brain (trust me I know!) and being a Thai newbie you need to be very careful indeed or as someone already said you could be on your way to heartbreak and financial ruin.

If you really feel very strongly about her why not go back and visit her and get to know her more?

Best of luck...

Too bad to hear Tommy...

And sad that we've heard the same story a thousand times each before.

Before I moved to Thailand 9 years ago, I read www.stickmanbangkok.com in its entirety. I doubt I could do that now because the site has become HUGE.

A good section to read is the Readers' Submissions which carries a litany of similar stories to this one.

I'd also be interested to find out where you met her and what she told you.

The bottom line is this, if you (an older gentleman) met a (much younger) girl while on holiday and had sexual contact, there is a good chance the girl is working the 'long con'. That means, you may not pay for sex directly, but over time you will pay a thousand times over.

The best option to take now is to run and you won (with a week of free sex from a young cutie).

If you are ABSOLUTELY sure she is different (and that is another line we've heard a thousand times each), check her out. Don't send any money... see how long she stays in contact. Call her at 10pm see if she answers her mobile. Ask a few questions about her work. Ask her where she learnt English - high schools don't often turn out linguistic experts.

This sort of advice seems brutal and cynical, but it's based on hundreds of man-years of experience living and dating Thai girls.

• 1 month later...

Just found all these replies. Thanks for the insight guys. Yes, I am a total newbie when it comes to Thailand, and its many cultural mysteries and differances. I thought I knew what I was in for, as I had been with a couple of bar girls prior to meeting the one we're discussing. I guess I could say that she seemed so differant, not asking for money, support, or anything other than a good time.

I met her at a disco, the Climax on Soi 11. We danced all night, went back to my hotel, etc. I was fuckin stoked, as I had not met a lady like her ever before. But...I know nothing really about her, other than what she has told me. Whether its all true or just a deception to work me later (which she hasnt yet) I don't know. I still contact her thru Skype, and have difficulties with the phone service so far. I hate to seem like I am questioning her whenever we do get a chance to talk, but after reading all your comments, maybe I better ask some pertinent questions concerning her English speaking ability, and if she really does what she says she does. Thanks again for your comments, insights, and concern. I sincerely appreciate all the help I can get in this matter.

Climax is simply a freelance prostitute pick-up joint. It's owned by Khun Maew. She owns Hillary Bars 1-3 and Morning Night. She's a lovely woman, who happens to be Bangkok's biggest madam.

I would guess that 95+% of the girls who go there are hookers.

You said you are 'having difficulties with the phone service'. May I guess that for long periods of time it's impossible to contact her? The phone is switched off and/or she doesn't answer? Classic symptoms of a girl working in a bar.

The girl you met and had sex with on the first night is, with 99.999% certainty, a working girl. It's not impossible to get a 'freebie' from these girls. If you are considering a relationship with this girl, don't. You are heading down a dangerous path.

Actually i'd put the % of working girls in Climax slightly less than 95% but most certainly more than 80%!

I have a couple of friends living in BKK who i went to school with and their usual haunt is RCA but they often go to climax and claim to pick up non working girls in there on a frequent basis.

Actually i'd put the % of working girls in Climax slightly less than 95% but most certainly more than 80%!

I have a couple of friends living in BKK who i went to school with and their usual haunt is RCA but they often go to climax and claim to pick up non working girls in there on a frequent basis.

By picking up non working girls what they really mean is they give them 2000 baht for the taxi in the morning. :-)

Climax is simply a freelance prostitute pick-up joint. It's owned by Khun Maew. She owns Hillary Bars 1-3 and Morning Night. She's a lovely woman, who happens to be Bangkok's biggest madam.

I would guess that 95+% of the girls who go there are hookers.

You said you are 'having difficulties with the phone service'. May I guess that for long periods of time it's impossible to contact her? The phone is switched off and/or she doesn't answer? Classic symptoms of a girl working in a bar.

The girl you met and had sex with on the first night is, with 99.999% certainty, a working girl. It's not impossible to get a 'freebie' from these girls. If you are considering a relationship with this girl, don't. You are heading down a dangerous path.

Everything EB said about Climax is true. It's where all of the gogo dancers go after the gogo bars close at 2am. It's also where a lot of girls go who are running the long con. By that, I mean they find a newbie or a guy who comes here often and is tired of all of the antics of the bar girls and they try to appear to be a nice normal girl. They don't ask for any money. They might extract a shopping trip the next morning or tell you that they're short on rent money or something and you "give" them some cash but they never ask directly.

When you get back home they'll go weeks or even months before the first financial crisis hits. Then once they have you on the hook they tell you a tear jerker story about needing 30,000 baht to help dad in the hospital or 100,000 baht to save the family farm.

there r definitely "non working" girls at Climax, but even bar girls need some fun. so if they haven't picked up a john by 3 or 4am they may go with a guy that they actually like !!!

Thailand has been known to be called Disneyland because it's not real (in regards to certain women) so maybe you may take that into consideration, I don't get women who are 15 to 20 yrs younger than me here in Aust telling me I am a "Handsome Man" !!!! I wish !!!!!! lol lol !!!

I used to worry about that.

Now I just think the light's better in Thailand...

don't know the name of the soi, but it was a bit of a reality check walking from Silom to Roadhouse on Surawong ..... loads of girls sitting outside waiting for punters, but totally ignoring me and any other farang walking past .... however the minute a japanese guy went past he was mobbed !!

some birds have no ******* taste !!!!

Just found all these replies. Thanks for the insight guys. Yes, I am a total newbie when it comes to Thailand, and its many cultural mysteries and differances. I thought I knew what I was in for, as I had been with a couple of bar girls prior to meeting the one we're discussing. I guess I could say that she seemed so differant, not asking for money, support, or anything other than a good time.

I met her at a disco, the Climax on Soi 11. We danced all night, went back to my hotel, etc. I was fuckin stoked, as I had not met a lady like her ever before. But...I know nothing really about her, other than what she has told me. Whether its all true or just a deception to work me later (which she hasnt yet) I don't know. I still contact her thru Skype, and have difficulties with the phone service so far. I hate to seem like I am questioning her whenever we do get a chance to talk, but after reading all your comments, maybe I better ask some pertinent questions concerning her English speaking ability, and if she really does what she says she does. Thanks again for your comments, insights, and concern. I sincerely appreciate all the help I can get in this matter.

Hey Bruce,

I hope this doesn't sound offensive as it really isn't meant to be...it's closer to a compliment. I'm jealous of how naive you are. I miss the days when I couldn't tell the difference between a freelance whore and a normal Thai girl. Luckily, I learned the difference without getting burned, and I think that you're on the right path to learn the safe way as well.

I really do miss going out and being amazed at how incredibly handsome I was to the majority of girls that I made eye contact with. Whether it was a soi 11 freelancer, Robinsons cosmetic girl, a chula undergrad, or a successful manager...they were all the same to me. That was the beauty of it, though...I wasn't reading into every girl I met wondering WTF they wanted from me. I was just happy getting my ego filled with them calling me handsome man, getting triple takes when walking by, silly giggles and smiles if I did a double take, etc...

Enjoy it while you can. Not that it gets bad or that it's worse than the states, no way. It's always awesome here. But the more you learn, the more careful you become as the smiles are not always what they seem.

Sometimes I wonder if working gals or scammers log into Thai expat forums such as here to read how the farangs are keeping up with their antics?

they don't tend to target ex-pats as guys living and working here can keep tabs on them relatively easily ....

they want guys who come here for 2/3 weeks once or twice a year, earning a good salary and living as far away as possible. they connect with these guys ... convince them that they r in a serious relationship and then expect to be taken care off .... and i use the term guys rather than guy for a reason !!! ;-)

however, a girl u met in climax, danced with and then slept with on the first night obviously wouldn't be this type of girl !!!

Sometimes I wonder if working gals or scammers log into Thai expat forums such as here to read how the farangs are keeping up with their antics?

There are some, but very few scammer girls either have the patience, English skills, or give a poop about what we say on here.

"haha, buffalo farang learning littun bit!"

Well, are my eyes wide open now?!?! If this girl I'm sprung on is a hooker, she did a pretty damn good long range bait and trap on me. I met her early in the night, like about 9:30 or so, danced till perhaps 12:30, then retired to my hotel with her sister/freind in tow. I'm thinkin, "Dear Penthouse", this could only happen here. Anyway, 4 hrs later I walked the two girls down to the lobby to retrieve their cards, and saw em of in a cab. Saw them both again 2 nights later and then just my #1 girl the last two nights in BKK. The whole time money was never mentioned. My buddies wife, a Thai girl, was very curious and looking out for my best interests, questioned #1 about her work, past, present, family, etc. and gave me the green light. But, as EB previously and wisely stated, her phone is turned off frequently, hard to get a hold of, and now I think she was the Sorcerer and her sister/freind her apprentice. My damn mind runs wild with the possibilities, but irregardless, she was special. And she has really made no great effort to email or snail mail me. I would prefer to think that she was/is special, but from all the previously stated comments, opinions and well meaning, I think it would be foolish to persue this matter any further. Damn, at least I know my heart still has feelings, and can still bumble into a stupid old school boy crush. Thanks all for your insights. Fore warned is fore armed. I will wait till I return to do it all over again!!

don't know the name of the soi, but it was a bit of a reality check walking from Silom to Roadhouse on Surawong ..... loads of girls sitting outside waiting for punters, but totally ignoring me and any other farang walking past .... however the minute a japanese guy went past he was mobbed !!

some birds have no ******* taste !!!!

Thanks for a good laugh start off my (hard) working day