What do you do with your spare change?

admin

Question

I don't think I've every lived in a country where I seem to accumulate so much coin change. I've probably got several hundred baht in 1 and 2 baht coins sitting around the house.

Back in the US you could put it in sleeves and the bank would take it. Can you do the same with Thai banks?

I hate the look I get when I try to pay for a purchase with 1 baht coins.

My most amusing one to date was paying the food delivery guy. The bill was something like 158 baht. I give the guy two 100 baht notes and 8 one baht coins hoping to get back a 50 baht note or at least two 20's and a 10 baht coin. He digs into his little change pouch and gives me two 20's and 10 baht in 1 baht coins.

Arrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!

It's impossible to get rid of them!

10 answers to this question

I collect the coins in a mug. I have 1, 2, 5, 10 baht coins... I throw them in there never count. Once the mug is fulled, I bring them out and count I always get like 300 - 500 baht each time. I brought them to the hospital mail room, they need coins. So I got bank notes return.

You can also bring them to 7-11 they will do some change for you as well.

I've saved up a thousand baht or two in a big jar, can be handy at times. Since I cannot get hold of proper clay chips for poker here, we use the coins as chips instead. Not quite the same, true, but better than nothing.

To clarify, we don't use the money as such; we nominate different values to each kind of coin and use them as score keepers, counters, chips or whatever you want to call it. After the tournament, all the coin goes back to me :)