Flu not getting better in Bangkok

northern

I had a flu for couple of weeks while staying in Bangkok. But immediately when I travelled to Europe it got better. Just a coincidence? Or is there something in Bangkok that's not good for me? Has anyone had a same kind of experience?

I'd like to come back but not have the same flu again...

Well I can suggest you to buy a waterless hand gel from 7/11 or pharmacy when you'll be around Bangkok especially when you go out. Use it before you'll touch your face as the flu can infect by you hands after touch anything in public such as balustrade, handcart, handle, public phone receiver, banknote, coin and etc or it's better to wear a mask haha.

Yep, I found the same when I came to BKK

I also found if I went away and came back, I was susceptible to another bout.

There's a clinic in Suk Soi 11, next to Pickled Liver Pub that does vaccines, but I don't know if that would protect you...

Vaccines can't protect all kind of flu disease believe me... i got flu vaccines every year, it was good for 1st 2 years.... but after that I got flu every year lol.... and now i have flu, doctor said I had to stay at home this moment.

However, it's good to get the shot, only 300 baht. It can't protect you from every disease but it can slow down.

As above what Sasie says.....hand gel or wipes would be the way to go, altho it is a bit of an inconvenience wiping yourself after touching every little thing you come in contact with, depending where you go In Bangkok of course!

I remember being in Egypt and one of the main causes of sickness we were warned about was from touching banknotes......The currency there was fuckin filthy, but when you are on holiday, having a good time and paying 50p for a keebab at 3am, the last thing on your mind is ohhhh where's me wipes.

Oh how i paid for that...I was going to go into more detail but i better not.

WIPES.....Just say YES.

As above what Sasie says.....hand gel or wipes would be the way to go, altho it is a bit of an inconvenience wiping yourself after touching every little thing you come in contact with, depending where you go In Bangkok of course!

I remember being in Egypt and one of the main causes of sickness we were warned about was from touching banknotes......The currency there was fuckin filthy, but when you are on holiday, having a good time and paying 50p for a keebab at 3am, the last thing on your mind is ohhhh where's me wipes.

WIPES.....Just say YES.

Well StevieJR, may be we don't wanna clean our hands all the time we touch anything but just to warn ourselves before we'll touch our face especially eyes, nose & mouth. I can support this fact from the campaign from Ministry of Public Health of Thailand for a few years which tries to promote people to use a waterless hand gel as more than 50% we infect from virus comes from our hands.

However, it seems that yoga can help me not to catch a cold for 2 years since I started practice it ^^

WIPES.....Just say YES.

Which is why it gives me the chills when I see street vendors touching my food right after having handled money.

Vaccines can't protect all kind of flu disease believe me... i got flu vaccines every year, it was good for 1st 2 years.... but after that I got flu every year lol.... and now i have flu, doctor said I had to stay at home this moment.

However, it's good to get the shot, only 300 baht. It can't protect you from every disease but it can slow down.

Neung,

Every year the flu virus mutates as it becomes resistant to the last vaccine shot. Some virus cells survive, breed, and spread so the next year you have to get another shot designed to kill the new flu virus.

Bill

Well StevieJR, may be we don't wanna clean our hands all the time we touch anything but just to warn ourselves before we'll touch our face especially eyes, nose & mouth. I can support this fact from the campaign from Ministry of Public Health of Thailand for a few years which tries to promote people to use a waterless hand gel as more than 50% we infect from virus comes from our hands.

However, it seems that yoga can help me not to catch a cold for 2 years since I started practice it ^^

Ok im convinced.......where do i sign up for you're yoga class??? :-P

As for this business of using gel / wiping etc; once you go down that road it can become a slippery slope to fixation. I try to remain very conscious of just not touching my face, especially when I am out and about in public, opening doors, using handrails and such. As Sassie points out, influenza virus is touch-transmissible. Also, did you know that infected water droplet (or mucus or other) landing in your eye can infect you? I think this is just plain unfair. You can do everything right, wash, wipe, sanitise, go to the extreme and wear a surgical mask and the bastards get in through your eye, when you're not looking. There is only so much you can worry about this ...

Get a current jab. It normally provides some protection against the three most prevalent strains, as decided by scientists reviewing what is out there. You will never get 100% protection, but it should lessen the severity of any infection. That said, even the scientists can get it wrong, thereby reducing the usefulness of the vaccine.

For some reason, the flu season seems to start in Asia, and then move towards the west, so we get an advanced warning of what is coming. Not that it takes long to get here with modern air travel being what it is.

Good hygiene can prevent cross infection, but if you use those hand gels, make sure that it is an effective one. Not all are any good.

Ok im convinced.......where do i sign up for you're yoga class??? :-P

Hahaha I only do the basic and easy posture everyday at home and I'm not expert to teach anyone or should I start thinking to open private yoga class for TF friends? ^_~ Ok I'm kidding and I always believe that 'Health is better than wealth'.

Hahaha I only do the basic and easy posture everyday at home and I'm not expert to teach anyone or should I start thinking to open private yoga class for TF friends? ^_~ Ok I'm kidding and I always believe that 'Health is better than wealth'.

The basics work for me.......and if you don't have health, what is the point in wealth!

Says me as I have my 10th Singha of the evening and a donner kebab...

WIPES.....Just say YES.

I'd rather have a dodgy stomach in Egypt. It wasn't the hygiene (or lack of) that did me over. It was the heat! I actually fainted whilst climbing the stairs for the 6th time (20 on each floor & there were 22 floors!!! & Yes....the office was on 22nd floor. lol)

I'd rather have a dodgy stomach in Egypt. It wasn't the hygiene (or lack of) that did me over. It was the heat! I actually fainted whilst climbing the stairs for the 6th time (20 on each floor & there were 22 floors!!! & Yes....the office was on 22nd floor. lol)

So you can drink till 8am but cant manage a few stairs.......lightweight!

The basics work for me.......and if you don't have health, what is the point in wealth!

Says me as I have my 10th Singha of the evening and a donner kebab...

Well seem you really like to be healthy but later you drank 10 bottles of Singha hahaha....at least you were happy ^_~