The Isaan Princess

admin

@bCool - Education is the real wealth and your mom told you the correct thing. Even if those lucky girls who have beauty as an asset and can earn a big money through their bodies but it won't be last and they can't feel proud with it. What do they do if their husband change their mind and find a new girl instead of them.

There, you are definitely right but there is one flaw in this: You will have to use your skills. If you just get a degree and might it be the most worthy in the world and you do not work in your field at least part-time, after some years it will be worth nothing because first of all so many new things have come up during time that you are not up to date anymore and also you will forget a lot of what you learned.

So if one thinks to get a degree in her young days and then use her body for the next let's say 15 years for the financial part, she will be nearly as lost as someone without education.

There, you are definitely right but there is one flaw in this: You will have to use your skills. If you just get a degree and might it be the most worthy in the world and you do not work in your field at least part-time, after some years it will be worth nothing because first of all so many new things have come up during time that you are not up to date anymore and also you will forget a lot of what you learned.

So if one thinks to get a degree in her young days and then use her body for the next let's say 15 years for the financial part, she will be nearly as lost as someone without education.

hint --- get an MBA and apply it to that 15 year "body at work" updating her education as she applies her earnings ;)

Depends on! If you marry a rich US citizen, you can be sure to remain (or really get) rich after divorce. If you chose a rich European man (well, maybe things might be different in Moldavia or Albania), you still will have a decent life as a divorcee. Farang laws are against us penis owners :(

:twisted: Ha thanks for the idea not to marry with European but American guy hehe ;)

Well my suggestion is I want a girl to work and not to stop working even if she married with anyone.

@bCool - Education is the real wealth and your mom told you the correct thing. Even if those lucky girls who have beauty as an asset and can earn a big money through their bodies but it won't be last and they can't feel proud with it. What do they do if their husband change their mind and find a new girl instead of them.

Education is overvalued in Thailand. Just to be a sales clerk in some stores you need a BA degree. For other jobs you won't even be considered unless you have an MBA.

In Farangland I think there is much less of this getting hung up on what degree you do or don't have. I won out jobs from people with MBA's because I have a lot more experience and I have a reputation in the industry I work.

Don't get me wrong, if you go to Harvard or Cambridge it opens up a lot of doors for you since they're respected schools but in a more general sense about education in Farangland it's more about what can you do rather than what degree do you have like it is here in Thailand. The educational requirements for some jobs are almost comical. Do you really need a four year degree to be a receptionist or to sell handbags in some hi-so store?

And education is not wealth if you only acquire it in order to move up in life. If you get your education because you love learning then it is a gift and something that you should count as part of your wealth. If you slogged through some BA program or MBA program because you were hopping that you could get a better job when you're done then how is it really any different than marrying for money? In both cases you're doing something you dislike in the hopes of attaining a financial reward (i.e. a better job and more money).

It's that mindset that produces some of the horrifically incompetent people in the workplace today. I was reading the book Phra Farang about a Farang monk in Thailand and he was discussing an experience he had with the head of the English program at a rural school. He was shocked that after 16 years of teaching English he wasn't able to have even a simple conversation with her. Even asking her a question like how long she had been at the school resulted in her telling what time it was.

That's what happens when you acquire education for the sake of getting a diploma so you can get a job. This woman obviously has no passion for the language and has never gone past what was required for her degree to master the language. Yet, I know many people who have no university degree and have learned English to a fairly good degree of fluency. They put all of the time and effort into becoming fluent because they wanted to learn.

So, in my opinion, the teacher spent four years to acquire a piece of paper. The people who have taught themselves English have acquired a true gift, even if it goes unappreciated in Thailand.

Depends on! If you marry a rich US citizen, you can be sure to remain (or really get) rich after divorce. If you chose a rich European man (well, maybe things might be different in Moldavia or Albania), you still will have a decent life as a divorcee. Farang laws are against us penis owners :(

So, do you have any American guy friends who are single, rich and of good character? ;)

Education is overvalued in Thailand. Just to be a sales clerk in some stores you need a BA degree. For other jobs you won't even be considered unless you have an MBA.

In Farangland I think there is much less of this getting hung up on what degree you do or don't have. I won out jobs from people with MBA's because I have a lot more experience and I have a reputation in the industry I work.

Don't get me wrong, if you go to Harvard or Cambridge it opens up a lot of doors for you since they're respected schools but in a more general sense about education in Farangland it's more about what can you do rather than what degree do you have like it is here in Thailand. The educational requirements for some jobs are almost comical. Do you really need a four year degree to be a receptionist or to sell handbags in some hi-so store?

And education is not wealth if you only acquire it in order to move up in life. If you get your education because you love learning then it is a gift and something that you should count as part of your wealth. If you slogged through some BA program or MBA program because you were hopping that you could get a better job when you're done then how is it really any different than marrying for money? In both cases you're doing something you dislike in the hopes of attaining a financial reward (i.e. a better job and more money).

It's that mindset that produces some of the horrifically incompetent people in the workplace today. I was reading the book Phra Farang about a Farang monk in Thailand and he was discussing an experience he had with the head of the English program at a rural school. He was shocked that after 16 years of teaching English he wasn't able to have even a simple conversation with her. Even asking her a question like how long she had been at the school resulted in her telling what time it was.

That's what happens when you acquire education for the sake of getting a diploma so you can get a job. This woman obviously has no passion for the language and has never gone past what was required for her degree to master the language. Yet, I know many people who have no university degree and have learned English to a fairly good degree of fluency. They put all of the time and effort into becoming fluent because they wanted to learn.

So, in my opinion, the teacher spent four years to acquire a piece of paper. The people who have taught themselves English have acquired a true gift, even if it goes unappreciated in Thailand.

Thanks Bill for your opinion. For me education is the best gift I got from my parents. I like learning for my self-development and if I can get a better job or earn more money from it after I got a master degree then it's my benefit.

The case you faced are a common thing in Thailand. Most Thai students learn because they have to learn not they want to learn. Many of them greaduated by copying their friend's work or they don't know how to do as they hire copy machine service staff to do instead of them. Then there is no quality of their education even if they have a degree. In real life they can't do a job well because they never do it since they were a student. I found many new workers in my company don't know much in Office program as I'm a trainer for them.

Education is a real wealth for me as I can't use my body to earn a money haha.

Edited by Sasie

Hey, are you advertising yourself (your profile status is unspecified) or your friends? LOL :)

well my dentist is still trying to place my teeth back in my mouth from my last trip down lovers-lane; but oh yaaaaaaa...

lot of my countrymen could be trained by right influence! (my fees are very low !!)

I wish i could change education system in Thailand start from the kindergarten school .Even when they graduated and they apply for a job i am not double about if whom graduated from famous Uni always being the first choice at the famous companies as same as every countries on earth,the rest of them must to do some work for their survive so they have no choice they take any job they could,working in some normal company of course salary also not the same like work for the famous one,They need money to buy food,need money to rent condo,need money to support their family.

Every years there are lots of graduated students and many jobless so they take whatever they can,Admin absolutely true about this,no matter how high education they are or even they are a bar girl everybody need money and salary for living,A very few student here they have passion about studies if they do of course they are going so high ,The fact is the rich family can support their children more than poor family,Many of Thai student they are very smart but they have no money ,some lucky got scholarship but not too many,the rest of them even they are so smart they must quite school and help father mother work.These are so not fair but who's care.,If i wish i could change the education here for every children can study free till Uni ,the smart kids no matter poor or rich they could have chance the same.

You can see from the news Thai student always won the Chemical Physics Olympics competition of the world,I am talking about the gold medal and we won almost every year.I also see and knew lots of peoples whom not graduated from Uni but have lots of experiences do very good in their job which is the graduated peoples can not compare,but when they lost them job the new company always want they certificate and they hardly to find a new job.All i am mean is Thai education system Suck!

well my dentist is still trying to place my teeth back in my mouth from my last trip down lovers-lane; but oh yaaaaaaa...

lot of my countrymen could be trained by right influence! (my fees are very low !!)

:) So you are now opening an Asian-Farang dating agency!

• 5 months later...
I think what it boils down to is some women can use their bodies to get what they want (eg) money seems popular in Thailand I know of one girl who is doing this (she is moving to Aust) and told me she doesn't "love" the guy but is willing to forgo this so she can get financial security for her and her family!!!!!

I don't know whether she (or husband to be) will be happy nor will I judge her I hope she doesn't forget where she came from and she doesn't turn into an Issan Princess

Again, not really the topic at hand. A woman who marries a man she doesn't love in order to provide financial security is different than one who becomes a little Isaan Princess. I'm not saying that it's okay to marry for money but if the girl feels that marrying this guy will make her life better and she's willing to do it for her family then she's making a choice.

The problem is, the girls like the one EB described. She's not in it for financial security. Financial security is, does my family have a house to live in? Do they have food? Are their basic needs being taken care of?

When you start buying Prada bags and Gucci shoes you are no longer in the relationship for financial security. You're in it for greed. People don't need Prada bags or Gucci shoes.

I met a girl once who was getting 100,000 baht per month from an overseas sponsor. They dated for nearly 3 years so doing the math, she made 3.6 million baht in 3 years for doing absolutely nothing but being this guy's girlfriend when he came to Thailand 2 or 3 times a year.

The guy ended up having some financial problems and couldn't send money after 3 years and they drifted apart.

But you know how much of that money she saved? 0 baht. Want to guess how many homes she bought or how much land she bought for her future? None.

She blew threw 3.6 million baht with not a thing to show for it. Nothing.

I asked her where it all went and she said she doesn't know. She just remembers partying with her posse every night. So basically she spent all of the money on booze and food.

Yes, some did go back home to the family but she never wanted to clue them into how much she was making for fear they might ask for more. So her monthly payments back home were a rather modest, 2000 - 3000 baht per month.

And to some degree this is part of the reason why Thailand continues to border on being a third-world country. Most Thai people (i.e. more than 50%) have very perverse ideas about money. I once had an educated, middle-class Thai woman tell me, "Why should I save money? I could die tomorrow and I would never get to spend my money."

Obviously not everyone looks at money like that but enough do that they never build up any real wealth. And by wealth, I'm not talking about mansions and BMW's. I'm talking about building up a core nest egg.

It's what most farang cultures were based on. America being the most obvious example. My great-grandfather came to America with nothing. Some clothes on his back and a few dollars in his pocket.

But he worked 2 or 3 jobs so he could make enough money to send his kids to school. And his kids, with a high school education got better jobs than their father had and they worked hard to make enough money to send their kids to even better schools. And their children . . . well, you get the idea.

Each generation built on the what they were given by the previous one. I benefitted from the sacrifices my great grandfather, my grandfather, and my dad all made. And my children will benefit from those sacrifices as well.

But what if my great grandfather would have pissed away all of his money drinking and gambling? Then his kids would have started off with nothing and would be in the same position he was in with no education and no real chance for a good job. And what if they pissed away all of their money? Their children would be starting off from the same place as my great grandfather.

And that is what is so dangerous about this attitude about money you see with many people in Thailand. They spend it as fast as they make it (and some even borrow) and so they don't have anything to save. Their children grow up starting from zero. And if they spend money like their parents, their kids starts at zero.

It's like here in the US (and I'm sure the stats are similar in other farang countries) where a large percentage of the people who win the lottery end up broke again within 5 years. They might win $50 million USD but they piss it all away, buy things they can't afford (many items like houses have high costs to keep maintained), give money away to friends and family who come begging for it, make bad investments, etc.

And it's this sort of attitude towards money that will keep Thailand down. As long as a large percentage of the population has no ability to see past tomorrow they'll keep raising generation after generation of people with a poor mentality about money and wealth. They'll never get out of poverty no matter how much money you throw at them because they'll just spend it and their kids will start off from zero.

Again, I just want to be clear, this isn't all Thai people. Obviously there are many Thais who do try to build a better future for children but they are in the minority. The majority still think day to day and no amount of money is going to fix the problem until Thai society starts putting more emphasis on learning, education, wealth generation (not just on spending it), and contributing to overall society.

Again, not really the topic at hand. A woman who marries a man she doesn't love in order to provide financial security is different than one who becomes a little Isaan Princess. I'm not saying that it's okay to marry for money but if the girl feels that marrying this guy will make her life better and she's willing to do it for her family then she's making a choice.

The problem is, the girls like the one EB described. She's not in it for financial security. Financial security is, does my family have a house to live in? Do they have food? Are their basic needs being taken care of?

When you start buying Prada bags and Gucci shoes you are no longer in the relationship for financial security. You're in it for greed. People don't need Prada bags or Gucci shoes.

I met a girl once who was getting 100,000 baht per month from an overseas sponsor. They dated for nearly 3 years so doing the math, she made 3.6 million baht in 3 years for doing absolutely nothing but being this guy's girlfriend when he came to Thailand 2 or 3 times a year.

The guy ended up having some financial problems and couldn't send money after 3 years and they drifted apart.

But you know how much of that money she saved? 0 baht. Want to guess how many homes she bought or how much land she bought for her future? None.

She blew threw 3.6 million baht with not a thing to show for it. Nothing.

I asked her where it all went and she said she doesn't know. She just remembers partying with her posse every night. So basically she spent all of the money on booze and food.

Yes, some did go back home to the family but she never wanted to clue them into how much she was making for fear they might ask for more. So her monthly payments back home were a rather modest, 2000 - 3000 baht per month.

And to some degree this is part of the reason why Thailand continues to border on being a third-world country. Most Thai people (i.e. more than 50%) have very perverse ideas about money. I once had an educated, middle-class Thai woman tell me, "Why should I save money? I could die tomorrow and I would never get to spend my money."

Obviously not everyone looks at money like that but enough do that they never build up any real wealth. And by wealth, I'm not talking about mansions and BMW's. I'm talking about building up a core nest egg.

It's what most farang cultures were based on. America being the most obvious example. My great-grandfather came to America with nothing. Some clothes on his back and a few dollars in his pocket.

But he worked 2 or 3 jobs so he could make enough money to send his kids to school. And his kids, with a high school education got better jobs than their father had and they worked hard to make enough money to send their kids to even better schools. And their children . . . well, you get the idea.

Each generation built on the what they were given by the previous one. I benefitted from the sacrifices my great grandfather, my grandfather, and my dad all made. And my children will benefit from those sacrifices as well.

But what if my great grandfather would have pissed away all of his money drinking and gambling? Then his kids would have started off with nothing and would be in the same position he was in with no education and no real chance for a good job. And what if they pissed away all of their money? Their children would be starting off from the same place as my great grandfather.

And that is what is so dangerous about this attitude about money you see with many people in Thailand. They spend it as fast as they make it (and some even borrow) and so they don't have anything to save. Their children grow up starting from zero. And if they spend money like their parents, their kids starts at zero.

It's like here in the US (and I'm sure the stats are similar in other farang countries) where a large percentage of the people who win the lottery end up broke again within 5 years. They might win $50 million USD but they piss it all away, buy things they can't afford (many items like houses have high costs to keep maintained), give money away to friends and family who come begging for it, make bad investments, etc.

And it's this sort of attitude towards money that will keep Thailand down. As long as a large percentage of the population has no ability to see past tomorrow they'll keep raising generation after generation of people with a poor mentality about money and wealth. They'll never get out of poverty no matter how much money you throw at them because they'll just spend it and their kids will start off from zero.

Again, I just want to be clear, this isn't all Thai people. Obviously there are many Thais who do try to build a better future for children but they are in the minority. The majority still think day to day and no amount of money is going to fix the problem until Thai society starts putting more emphasis on learning, education, wealth generation (not just on spending it), and contributing to overall society.

120% agreed! And I also think it's a real Sysyphos' work to try to explain to your close Thai surroundings that a thorough calculation and assessment only would need an hour or so but spares days, weeks and months of sorrow and insecurity! Next is the approach towards loans. Many people think that if they are granted a loan, it's ok but do not think about how to settle payments. I mean, if you can get a loan of 1 million and have to pay 8,000 per month for the next 20 years (just numbers, not calculated now) but only have 12,000 salary and running costs and the need for food - how can you manage? Even if you intend to use this money for something lasting like a house, it is impossible - and if you use it for something else like a car it's even irresposible. But as I could see, this happens every day in Thailand and not only once!

We in Central Europe had this problem in the mid-80's where nearly everybody got loans and spent it for cars, TVs, HiFi's and even holidays. After the rude awakening (people not only were in debt at banks but also with catalog companies, car dealers etc.), rules and regulations have been adapted - luckily! And I really hope that in Thailand, this also will happen one day in the near future. Not to restrict people but to save them from unaffordable financial actions as calculating properly normally is not the strength of ordinary people. Edited by FarangFarang

• 1 month later...
Guest JamesKA

Reading the stories posted here makes me hesitant to go to Pattaya. Back in April 2011 I met a girl in Pattaya who claims she a "good girl" from Isan. She is now my gf and I am planning to marry her. How do I find out whether she loves me or just loves my money. I am 45 and she is 21. I don't mind sending her some money (300 USD) every month but I do mind being a cash cow for her.