Are Thai people really Buddhist?

The Punisher

Do you think Buddha Himself would view modern Thailand as predominantly a country of Buddhists?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Buddha Himself would view modern Thailand as predominantly a country of Buddhists?

• Yes, I do.
    • No, I don't.
    • I'm not mature enough to discuss this topic & am offended you asked.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are white people really christian?

is that a serious question ???? :shock: :shock: :shock:

just as much as the question-title of the forum I guess...

well it's claimed that Thai's are 95% buddhist and there's talk of it being written into the constitution as the national religion .... so not really the same thing !!!

is that a serious question ???? :shock: :shock: :shock:

just as much as the question-title of the forum I guess...

well it's claimed that Thai's are 95% buddhist and there's talk of it being written into the constitution as the national religion .... so not really the same thing !!!

yea but if you talk to some people Christianity is the worlds religion and they want it no other way :roll:

What difference does it really matter who or what religion is any one?

Does it matter if they not what they seem to be?

All religions have people who do so said sins,next day they prey or visit the church and prey forgiveness.

Now are Thai's any different? or should they be because they are Buddhist?

I think the question arose because of the push to make Buddhism the state religion.

So, it's probably fair to ask what exactly is it these people want to force on others.

Exactly. And also WHY they want to push it on other people?

If as the author says, your average Thai has strayed far from the middle path of Buddhism, would writing it into the constitution make any difference to how the religion is observed in Thailand? I say no. It is only the Monks desire to hold on to power that they should neither have the right to ask for, let alone have.

Buddha himself offered his guidance to people as a choice. He did not shove it down their throats with either law or the threat of eternal damnation.

If the Sangha council really wanted Buddhism to once again be centre of Thai society that it once was, they need to let go of the power they hold so dearly and give Buddhism back to the people. Decentralise power so that it once again returns to the individual temples and their communities so that they once again feel part of their religion, not just witnesses to it.

Making it the national religion will pull a few peoples dicks in the South as well!!

Doesn't this comment belong in the masturbation thread??? :P

But seriously, you are right. It would be like slapping the muslims in the face and flushing all the diplomacy, money, and effort that has so far gone into the south down a giant toilet.

True Buddhism is more of a non-theistic philosophy than a religion. And the Thai variety of "Buddhism" involves a lot more... There's a lot of local folk beliefs, animism, voodoo and the lot... Basically it served whoever was in power at its introduction. Nothing wrong with it. I DO see a bit of a problem with making it the "state religion". The already alienated Muslim South might not like it... Another "half/non-thought out plan" by the gov't. Oops... I take it back... It WAS "thought out" quite well. ;o)

It depends on the country really but in some places crusading is still a fashionable concept :lol:

Christian religion has all the same features as your buddhist religion has:

- an organisation that's corrupt

- a set of crazy-fake ideas nobody rrrreally believes in

- a convenient mask for help-yourself polytheism (saints/jatukams)

- a few escape mechanisms to allow anything to go

- a number of practices that give some structure to a meaningless life

- a number of ethical prescriptions that make little sense in real life

- the illusion you've lived for a reason and you're not going to die for always

- support for the lie that it makes sense to be unimportant and good and subservient instead of cheat and kill and lie to each other like the big boys do

- all of that is optional of cours, even if you do nothing they'll still count you in because no sheep should go lost

It's a recipe that has always and everywhere worked and it's not going to go away. Here it's called buddhism, there it's called christianity and over there islam. All the same basically.

according to thai buddist belief buddhism is just over half way through its life. the unique thai dating system (with burma a year ahead) is more of a countdown than a date. it is believed 5000 years after the Buddha died the religion would die out and in a few more thousands years another Buddha will emerge and the religion will be born again.

with this in mind its only natural that buddhism is becoming more and more corrupt i guess u could say. it is believed that people can no longer attain enlightment but that doesnt mean people shouldnt still follow the 8fold path and middle way etc cos u will still need good merit to get a good rebirth.

i just think thats really interesting, seems really down-to-earth to me. things decrease and die with time, why doesnt religion follow the same rule? we can already see a massive decrease in chrisianity in the world, buddhists seem to know this will happen already.

phew! sorry thats a bit long winded, but hope u find that intereting.

'According to Thai Buddhist belief' What does thta mean?

THAI Buddhism also states that women can't enter Nirvana/Nibana until they've been reincrnated as a man. Buddha would chuck a wobbly if he heard that! Although he did say that 'caution be excercised' with regards to womwn. Whatever that means!?

You don't see many Nuns around do you? When was the last time you saw a Nun on alms round? When was the last time you saw a woman wearing orange robes? (white is the traditional colour of pilgrinmage, but NUns have to wear white all the time.

The Jews rejected Jesus Christ, nay, crucified him,

Excuse me, but it was the ROMANS who crucified Jesus Christ.

Of course. The Romans ruled at the time. The Romans comitted the actual act because Jews weren't in the position to go handing out crusifixions. But it was the Jews who wanted him dead and grassed him up to the Romand. Judas Iscariot split on him!

Whether some corrupt rabbis wanted him dead or not, it was the Romans who sentenced him and nailed him to the cross. Funny that we never hear people blaming the Italians for killing Jesus.

As you said, Jesus was in fact a Jew. And were not his followers during his lifetime Jews? So when you say the Jews wanted him dead, which Jews?

And apparently the Romans ruling over Israel at that time also wanted him dead. Otherwise they wouldn't have killed him.

Let me ask you this: Wasn't the Old Testament prophecy that the Messiah would be rejected by his own people?

If Jesus had been accepted by his own people, would he have been the Messiah?

So why blame his people for fulfilling the Biblical prophecy?

Sorry for veering off topic.

Jesus did not die for religious reasons, he was in the eyes of the authorities

at that time a terrorist.

When somebody stands up and says in an totallary system

I AM THE NEW KING OF JUDAEA

ruled by the Romans, you know now why he died.

In a sytem like Hitler, Stalin he would had only lived 1 hour after, and the system at that time was very similar.

Whether some corrupt rabbis wanted him dead or not, it was the Romans who sentenced him and nailed him to the cross. Funny that we never hear people blaming the Italians for killing Jesus.

As you said, Jesus was in fact a Jew. And were not his followers during his lifetime Jews? So when you say the Jews wanted him dead, which Jews?

Let me ask you this: Wasn't the Old Testament prophecy that the Messiah would be rejected by his own people?

If Jesus had been accepted by his own people, would he have been the Messiah?

So why blame his people for fulfilling the Biblical prophecy?

The fact is if the Jews didn't want him dead he wouldn't have been crusified.

Sorry for veering off topic.