NO GO areas

R.Win

This adresses BKK...

By the title I don't actually mean areas what the name's created for which would be areas which just aren't safe or downright sure to loose your life to enter because of your etnicy or any other reason (if there are any in BKK do mind to name them). But what place would you advice someone NOT to visit and/or hang out? And please do answer the eternal question of WHY. Bring 'em out...

Other places in Thailand are ok to bring up if you will but don't mention places in the south please because I think we all know that by now.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't state whether you mean just in BKK or just in Thailand.

When I was in L.A. in the nineties, I and some friends got lost late at night in downtown L.A.

My friend who lived there said we were lucky to get out unharmed.

We did get followed by a car, but managed to lose them.

I have to say, it was the only city where I have ever felt nervous at night.

You don't state whether you mean just in BKK or just in Thailand.

When I was in L.A. in the nineties, I and some friends got lost late at night in downtown L.A.

My friend who lived there said we were lucky to get out unharmed.

We did get followed by a car, but managed to lose them.

I have to say, it was the only city where I have ever felt nervous at night.

BKK!!!

SORRY! I realized just before I saw your post I wasn't clear on that. I believe you immediately if you state that L.A. has some areas you don't wanna go, I had a thrilling scene in downtown Miami where I was dwelling with 2 New Zealanders and 3 English after a HEAT ballgame we were invited to attend.

I'll add it in the original question just in case people don't read the posts of others, which happens way too much.

There are certainly areas of BKK that are not so good for alot of people,not just Farang.

But generally speaking BKK is a pretty safe city for foreigners, even dumb ones. I've been to Mexico City, Lima, Jakarta, alot of other large cities and the issues with security are much more menacing there then in BKK.

IT IS pretty safe here, as I said before, I'm not aiming at life threatening areas but any reason for not going somewhere like beer tasting like piss, food making you piss out of your ass, clubs you pay too much etc etc. ...oh yeah, in Thailand btw

it is not safe to go to sukhumvit between soi 4 and asok late at night.

there are many ass-ugly socks-and-sandals farrangs cavorting with hookers too ugly or worn out to work in the bars, and some of the nastiest ladyboys on the planet. the mental pictures that stick with you from your walkabout will scar you for life.

it is also not safe to go in MBK as it is a colossal fire trap. in the event of a fire, there are far too few viable exits and the herd will head toward them. perhaps the best bet is to head for the parking garage as it is open (thus less likely to die from smoke inhalation) and the ramps are wide enough for autos (compare to, for example, the escalators).

it's a jungle out there. it makes me wonder how i keep from going under.

it is also not safe to go in MBK as it is a colossal fire trap. in the event of a fire, there are far too few viable exits and the herd will head toward them. perhaps the best bet is to head for the parking garage as it is open (thus less likely to die from smoke inhalation) and the ramps are wide enough for autos (compare to, for example, the escalators).

Yes, that would be my first thought too. "Oh, Joy, Mum, the building is on fire, let's head for the parking lot where all the nice pretty cars with full Gasoline tanks are parked"

Yes, that would be my first thought too. "Oh, Joy, Mum, the building is on fire, let's head for the parking lot where all the nice pretty cars with full Gasoline tanks are parked"

odds on the cars aren't going to explode and fire won't spread there. concrete doesn't burn well. exploding cars are generally limited to hollywood.

odds on the cars aren't going to explode and fire won't spread there. concrete doesn't burn well. exploding cars are generally limited to hollywood.

Full gasoline tanks? If you've spent any time driving in Thailand you'd know how rare it is for anyone to fill their tanks up!!

also those 1/4 full tanks probably contain some sort of gasoline/ethanol blend, at as low an octane rating as the owner can get away with and still have the car actually move.

If someone was coming to Bkk for first time and ask me, I would say the places to be avoided (IMO) ...

- Any food at Robin Hood pub Sukhumvit 33/1

- upstairs sex shows at Patpong

- Any jewelry shop in Bkk with 'deals' on gemstones.

- Any Tuk tuk. Period.

- Any tourist shop will millions of silly wooden carvings

- MBK, unless totally desperate

- Standing on any street corner in middle of city with a map, looking lost and stupid.

- Driving or in taxi on Thanon Ramkamhang at peak hour (or most hours)

- Any Thai restaurants and street stalls which never have any customers

I believe Bkk to be quite safe everywhere. But if you really want to find trouble, its easy to find.

there are many ass-ugly socks-and-sandals farrangs cavorting with hookers too ugly or worn out to work in the bars, and some of the nastiest ladyboys on the planet. the mental pictures that stick with you from your walkabout will scar you for life.

it's a jungle out there. it makes me wonder how i keep from going under.

Agree completely on the MBK story and the socking sandal farang with worn out hoes HOWEVER about the ladyboys around soi 4 I wouldn't want it any other way. I think they make MUCH better and fun conversation than your regular thai you come across, :o

Good calls

But I think MBK is ok:)

Do not go to Mo Chit on a holiday weekend.....Man it took me like 3+ hours to get a bus to khorat once, all the Issan people going to see family.....

I think you would change your mind about MBK if you happened to be in there if a fire broke out.

Then again, you most likely would not make it out alive in time to change your mind.

Bus stations anywhere are generally dangerous places.

There was in article in one of the local papers a couple of days ago about high crime areas for farangs. Guess which came out number one:

Chatuchak Market.

I would also add between Sukhumvit 7/1 and 13 late at night. I went for a stroll after an event at Absolute one night and saw an old man (About 70 at least) being hassled by a ladyboy who was trying to shake him free of a beer bottle so she could hit him with it. Two others were hanging around enjoying the sport. When I walked up and told them I was a black belt Taekwondo (not) and to settle down and show a bit of Jai Yen Yen, the lb said he had scuffed her pretty shoe while she was walking beside him and it was worth 2000 baht to fix.

I talked them out of it gently, took the bottle away and helped the old guy to a taxi. He said the lb had sidled up to him, got pissed off when he wouldn't take her home and grabbed a bottle and threatened him. You might say I took a risk. I know, but he was a nice old bloke and I figured he was someones poor old dad. He was lucky that night I think - I was the only one around. :roll:

AND I will second Patpongs upstairs ping pong bars as being no-go areas. A couple of friends of mine from Aussie got into strife there. It is a lot more than 100 baht for a drink once they get you inside :twisted:

Did you wear shining armor that night? If you don't have a superhero costume yet you should get one fast, you deserve one. Saving helpless ol' farts who shouldn't be scrumming around certain parts of BKK late at night and who know that damn well but probably are looking for a hot young girl so he could forget he was about 50 years older. Yeah those guys need your heroic efforts... or maybe, just maybe the ladyboy actually had a purpose they both didn't realize which would be teaching that guy a lesson. But you damn well stopped that from happening huh 8)

I would also add between Sukhumvit 7/1 and 13 late at night. I went for a stroll after an event at Absolute one night and saw an old man (About 70 at least) being hassled by a ladyboy who was trying to shake him free of a beer bottle so she could hit him with it. Two others were hanging around enjoying the sport. When I walked up and told them I was a black belt Taekwondo (not) and to settle down and show a bit of Jai Yen Yen, the lb said he had scuffed her pretty shoe while she was walking beside him and it was worth 2000 baht to fix.

I talked them out of it gently, took the bottle away and helped the old guy to a taxi. He said the lb had sidled up to him, got pissed off when he wouldn't take her home and grabbed a bottle and threatened him. You might say I took a risk. I know, but he was a nice old bloke and I figured he was someones poor old dad. He was lucky that night I think - I was the only one around. :roll:

AND I will second Patpongs upstairs ping pong bars as being no-go areas. A couple of friends of mine from Aussie got into strife there. It is a lot more than 100 baht for a drink once they get you inside :twisted:

Did you wear shining armor that night? If you don't have a superhero costume yet you should get one fast, you deserve one. Saving helpless ol' farts who shouldn't be scrumming around certain parts of BKK late at night and who know that damn well but probably are looking for a hot young girl so he could forget he was about 50 years older. Yeah those guys need your heroic efforts... or maybe, just maybe the ladyboy actually had a purpose they both didn't realize which would be teaching that guy a lesson. But you damn well stopped that from happening huh 8)

tell you what, you get *your* superhero costume and *you* can defend the ladyboys against *him*

tell you what, you get *your* superhero costume and *you* can defend the ladyboys against *him*

NO even GO there man