EURO 2008

CiaranM

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tonight; Holland 1 Italy 0... can I get a "hell yeah"?

Italy is the world champ but Holland only lost one opening game ever. Italy and Holland against each other on tournaments is 2 wins for Holland, 1 for Italy and 1 draw... don't start about the friendlies etc. because based on that there is no hope, no hope, no hope at all. When it's on the line Holland is good against Italy, PLUS there should be some sweet revenge for the last Eurocup matchup between them in where Holland with Kluivert etc. dominated HARD al game long but the ball just kept landing on the woodwork and the 2 penalties given to Holland in regular time were f'ed up :(

Wilhelmus van Nassouwe

Ben ick van Duytschen bloet,

Den Vaderlant getrouwe

Blyf ick tot in den doot:

Een Prince van Oraengien

Ben ick vrij onverveert,

Den Coninck van Hispaengien

Heb ick altijt gheeert.

:)

Ok, so we had our sweeter than ever expected revenge on those ..iitalians (let's keep it clean coz pohm mii kwaam suk). I'm dutch and I'm proud. This has helped me to finally stop bleeding from the loss in the semi final back in Holland in a way which you'll never believe unless you've seen it with your own eyes.

NOW, it's up to the french to have theirs. Make Zidane proud, take no prisoners!!!

I'm gonna go with the underdog: the Celtics over the Lakers best of 7.

Celtics r 2-0 up in a race to 7 and u rcalling them the underdogs ??

guess u know as much about basketball as u do about football !!!

mind u i think the celts have made a massive psychological blunder in allowing the lakers to get so close in the 2nd game .... if they had beat them by 15 + points i don't think the lakers would have any chance of making a come back !!!

Gosh, wonder why some stupid team come to competition and dont want to play. They just do theirbest to mess the game. Crappy romania. They let the Tsigan park their Camping Car in front of the goals ? :D

Coupet didn't have even 1 stop to do.

:shock: how to kill a match by a referee : allow the goal while the dude is just standing in front of the goal like a retard and push it in. Then Italy obligated to attack more, the orange just has to play on counter attacks ^.^ But ok good match i guess...

can't imagine how the referee felt when they show the goal on the screen and the public bouuuuuuuuh lol

According to officials it was not offside, 100% goal.

Ruud van Nistelrooy's opening goal for the Netherlands against Italy provided the first major talking point of Euro 2008.

Van Nistelrooy looked in an obvious offside position when he steered a close-range finish past Gianluigi Buffon to put the Dutch on the way to a crucial 3-0 win in Berne.

Italy coach Roberto Donadoni was gracious, saying: "I accept it. There's no point crying about it. The referee made a mistake. He's human."

Italy's fans, however, were not as forgiving after watching the incident replayed inside the Wankdorf Stadium in Berne.

But what looked a desperately poor decision was, in fact, a brilliant piece of officiating, according to the chairman of Austria's refereeing commission Gerhard Kapl.

Kapl said Van Nistelrooy was played onside by Italy's Christian Panucci, who had been injured seconds earlier and was lying behind the goal when the Dutch striker scored.

He said the goal was "100% correct, without any doubt", quoting article 11.4.1. of the refereeing code that states "an opposing player cannot be offside when one of the last two defenders has left the field of play" - as in the case of Panucci.

Kapl said the rule was specifically designed to prevent a team causing a deliberate offside - but does that tell the whole story?

Panucci was in no way attempting to gain an advantage or deliberately trying to play the Holland attackers onside.

He had actually been knocked behind the goal by a collision with his own goalkeeper Buffon, so where does the law stand on that?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A37087842

Holland played very well. I enjoyed the game and 2nd goal was fantastic, starting from Van Bronckhorst, who blocked off the line, before running the whole length of the field and making a perfect cross, straight to Dirk Kuyt who headed back into the six yard box for Wesley Sneijder to volley past Buffon.

And fantastic save by Edwin Van Der Sar after Pirlo's free kick.

Holland were worthy winners of the game with no doubt, and I think they are going to have a major impact on Euro 2008.

But what looked a desperately poor decision was, in fact, a brilliant piece of officiating, according to the chairman of Austria's refereeing commission Gerhard Kapl.

Kapl said Van Nistelrooy was played onside by Italy's Christian Panucci, who had been injured seconds earlier and was lying behind the goal when the Dutch striker scored.

He said the goal was "100% correct, without any doubt", quoting article 11.4.1. of the refereeing code that states "an opposing player cannot be offside when one of the last two defenders has left the field of play" - as in the case of Panucci.

Kapl said the rule was specifically designed to prevent a team causing a deliberate offside - but does that tell the whole story?

Panucci was in no way attempting to gain an advantage or deliberately trying to play the Holland attackers onside.

He had actually been knocked behind the goal by a collision with his own goalkeeper Buffon, so where does the law stand on that?

just when u thought the offside law couldn't get any more confusing !!!

well going by the letter of that law (even though i'd never heard of it before) Van Nistelrooy was onside, but if u watch the replay u can even see the Dutch players looking over at the linesman .... obviously even they thought he might have been offside !!

well going by the letter of that law (even though i'd never heard of it before) Van Nistelrooy was onside, but if u watch the replay u can even see the Dutch players looking over at the linesman .... obviously even they thought he might have been offside !!

Agree with you.After the game Dirk Kuyt also admitted that he thought that goal would be ruled out for offside.

Agree with you.After the game Dirk Kuyt also admitted that he thought that goal would be ruled out for offside.

even with that Netherlands looked full value for their win .... they have a great squad and could go all the way !!

True, the did look to the officials because it seemed too good to be true, the rule is pretty recent, probably half of the commentators worldwide didn't know about it. A coach of a dutch football team who was duscussing the match on radio1 in the Netherlands had to admit he didn't know about the rule either. The officials and the players did though.

It was a legitimate goal, even if the Italy coach and the rest of the world want to argue and I'm happy the rule is enforced because that defensive f**ker wasn't injured he just tried to make believe so the dangerous situation might be whistled to a halt, the ref did feel a bit for Italy though because some obvious fouls later on by Italy he decided not to blow his whistle for.

...so here is what needs to happen next for a glorious edition of the Euro cup...

France needs to loose to Holland as well but not as hard as Italy because the French are good people. Then they need to kick Italy's butt real hard as well in order to set their lost final in the world cup straight. Italy is allowed 3 points by winning against Romania (0 points would be TOO cruel). The dutch can draw against Romania or loose to them and then Holland and France will move on to the next round with respectively 6 (or7) and 4 and may the best of these 2 win the tournament. holland holland holland, not france obviously

Proud as I am I would like to add... Holland has now scored the most goals of any other nation who competed in the Euro Cup, one more than Germany in a few games less played might I add ;) PLUS Italy got handed their biggest defeat on a Eurocup tournament... :twisted: