EURO 2008

CiaranM

so who will u be supporting for 2008 .... Guardian is having a series were "celebs" try to convince u to support their team.

they even managed to find a German with a sense of humour .... so that's who i'm gonna be cheering for !!

Comedian Henning Wehn makes the case for the favourites Germany

The Guardian

May 29, 2008 12:18 AM

With no British team good enough to make the finals that start next week, the Guardian wants to find a new team to support, and we need your help. Our poll has narrowed the field to four - Spain, Germany, Sweden and the Netherlands - and our expert panel has added a fifth: Romania. Each day this week, a celebrity supporter will make the case for one of the countries.

1 Avoid shoot-out heartbreak Many tears were shed after Steve McClaren's England team failed to qualify for Euro 2008 ... but let's face it, it's going to be business as usual for British football supporters. Just like during the domestic season, you will have to cheer on a team full of foreigners. Why not make that team the three-time World Cup winner and universally revered superpower that is Germany? You wouldn't know, but there is nothing better than celebrating sporting victory. Supporting Germany will give you a once-in-a-lifetime chance not only to back the winning team but also to forgo the heartbreak of losing in a penalty shootout. Germany has not lost a penalty shootout in a major international tournament since 1976.

2 Burgeoning support The German band-wagon in England has, I'm happy to report, been gaining momentum. I encourage you all to take a leaf out of Prince Harry's book: he backs Germany and isn't even afraid of donning our old uniform once in a while. Hopes were also raised when new online video star Max Mosley, the formula one supremo, was said to be preparing for his Euro 2008 trip by practising his German with some fräuleins (which would have made him the only Brit courteous enough to address foreigners in their own language). As a self-deprecating Brit he has, of course, denied this - see item 4. Rest assured that once Germany is on a winning streak there will be no stopping the Austrians and Swiss rallying behind us either. Not for the first time I might point out.

3 Nietzsche, Beethoven, chair-hurling, etc The British and the Germans have more in common than you might think - and it's not simply a healthy dislike of the French. If you don't like football, think how German culture has enriched your existence. Think of writers such as Goethe, Kant and Nietzsche. In fact without Gutenberg, inventor of the mechanical printing press, there wouldn't be any printed books or newspapers. Without German composers such as Beethoven and Handel where would modern British music be? Even if you are a proper English football fan who has never heard of any of the above, remember the cultural highpoint of 2006 - throwing around white plastic chairs up and down the Fatherland during the World Cup. Wasn't that fun?

4 Teutonic mindset Your main reason for supporting Germany and mixing with us in the streets of Vienna should be the chance to soak up the Teutonic mindset. You will come home not only a better but also a more efficient and logical human being. You will have given up that unhealthy British habit of self-deprecation. To further this learning experience, here are some simple rules that will prove helpful when mingling with us: laughing at failure is never regarded as a positive character trait; nor is celebrating failure, and under no circumstances must you mention the war, because we lost.

5 The Dutch One of the major driving forces behind the average German's desire to win the title is to ensure the Dutch can't win it. You might admire the Netherlands as representing liberal values or as the inventors of Total Football, but the story is quite different from a German point of view. The Dutch will be travelling across our nation on their way to matches in Austria and Switzerland causing caravan congestion on our beloved autobahns. You have got no idea how painful it is to be stuck in your top-of-the-range BMW behind two Dutch caravans trying to overtake each other at walking speed on their way to the Alps. So please, don't support the Dutch, and next time, bring your own team!

· German-born comedian Henning Wehn will be performing his show, 1,000 Years of German Humour, at this year's Edinburgh festival, joined by yodelmeister Otto Kuhnle.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please, no thread about Euro 2008 *Hangs head in shame* ....

Euro2008 without England is like,

Bread without butter...Tea without milk...fish without chips...

It simply is NOT the same.... :cry:

OK, being a Liverpool fan, there is only one way I'm going to vote....Spain.

Spain_flag_large.png

They are my team for the finals, always under-achieve at all the major competitions....not this year.... :D

LOL sorry mate is that me relegated to the ladies team???

My money is on your team for Euro 2008 i have to say :wink:

Then I wish you GOOOOD LUCK :wink: :wink:

You played with King :?: :?:

Nope thankfully i was busy when he asked to play coz im still playing like a big woman.....Its got that bad even Ciaran beat me :shock:

Just how bad can i get???

Henning Wehn Otto Kuhnle

both I dont know :?: :cry: :?:

that's because they r german comedians .... i mean who can name a german comedian :?: :?: :roll: :twisted:

A drunk German?

drunk Germans r usually like drunk Brits ... they're the only one who thinks they r funny !!!!

Henning Wehn Otto Kuhnle

that's because they r german comedians .... i mean who can name a german comedian :?: :?: :roll: :twisted:

A drunk German?

drunk Germans r usually like drunk Brits ... they're the only one who thinks they r funny !!!!

Careful - the only thing between you and us is the Irish sea, apart from that, you are British also!!

Henning Wehn Otto Kuhnle

that german guy visiting pattaya who got the snot beat out of him by a ladyboy, and made the papers for it, he was pretty damn funny.

Harald Schmidt

Ruediger Hoffmann

Ingo Appelt

Volker Pispers

Dieter Hildebrandt

Bruno Jonas

Mario Barth

Michael Mittermeier

Just to answer your question with a short selection. :roll:

8)

T Y so much!!!

You are sure that you are an english :?: :?:

How you know that guys :?:

BUT Ingo Appelt is the best (devil) for sure :!: :!: :twisted: :twisted: :!: :!:

Special Thanks for that :!: :!:

Great and I never have seen that before :!:

And I feel soooo sorry for people what cant understand it :D :roll: :D

You are welcome Andy. Ingo Appelt is frigging outrageous for sure. :twisted:

Yes, I too feel sorry for people who can't understand it...they really miss out here. :wink:

If you like Ingo you should check out the Michael Mittermeier link too. :D