Legacy of George Walker Bush

Cosmo

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you think George Walker Bush will be remembered?

the question was asked (informally) of American historians evenly distributed across the political spectrum. one answer sums up the consensus:

worst.president.ever.

wish i still had the link.

What do you think was his greatest contribution during his presidency?
very recent. it was a shitty bailout package but at least he didn't sit back and let the economy go down the bowl.
And what was his worst mistake?

as mentioned elsewhere, iraq comes to mind.

I don't think he'll be the worst Pres in history. That honor still belongs to Carter.

he's worse than Carter. the economy Carter inherited had already tanked by the time he took office. Bush inherited a fairly stable economy. prosperous, even.

Carter's main problem was that he was ineffectual. Bush's main problem was that his administration was too effective.

agree on the advisors, though. it's really Cheney, Rummy et al that brought him down, he was a competent and centrist governor.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think he'll be the worst Pres in history. That honor still belongs to Carter.

he's worse than Carter. the economy Carter inherited had already tanked by the time he took office. Bush inherited a fairly stable economy. prosperous, even.

Carter's main problem was that he was ineffectual. Bush's main problem was that his administration was too effective.

agree on the advisors, though. it's really Cheney, Rummy et al that brought him down, he was a competent and centrist governor.

The precursor to Bush, the PNAC, was basically the driving force behind neocon and all fo the Bush policies...

That aside, I believe that Bushy will go down as the worst US President in US history...

• 1 month later...

I don't know if anyone caught the video of the press conf in Baghdad and the Iraqi journo throwing his shoes at Bush but really this will be an appropriate image of Bush's legacy.

Strange that the secret service didn't get up before the 2nd shoe was thrown and that journo really blew making the Iraqi baseball team with those throws!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=M8GOrc0-Ygg

He still showed how thick he is; he ducks the first shoe but doesn't stay down!!!

'We'll say it agin Mr President, and we will draw stickmen pictures so you understand. If someone throws something at you, you duck and cover. Yes thats right Mr President, just like that informative film we did on nuclear war...duck and cover, not duck then come back up to see what's happening...'

:lol:

The precursor to Bush, the PNAC, was basically the driving force behind neocon and all fo the Bush policies...

That aside, I believe that Bushy will go down as the worst US President in US history...

Wait untill you see Obama's true face.

What? Has he been wearing a mask for the campaign?? Would never have guessed... :lol:

I think he will do better than either Bush, and if he stays away from secretaries' dresses, better than Clinton.

Just a shame he has already came out and said he will continue the 'bedfellows' relationship with Israel. A move away from that alliance would have done a lot to improve America's standing.

What? Has he been wearing a mask for the campaign?? Would never have guessed... :lol:

I think he will do better than either Bush, and if he stays away from secretaries' dresses, better than Clinton.

Just a shame he has already came out and said he will continue the 'bedfellows' relationship with Israel. A move away from that alliance would have done a lot to improve America's standing.

I totally agree with you, speaking as an Israeli (50%) myself.

But I have a bad feeling about him. just a gut feeling.

the bar is so low it'll be hard to do any worse.

incidentally, i'm not at all clear on why i should trust *your* gut or be interested in its feelings more than, oh i don't know, abundant factual evidence.

but obviously you think your gut's got something important to say, so jump on in there. that's generally how things work on TF, although do bear in mind where the contents of the gut generally exit the body.

the bar is so low it'll be hard to do any worse.

incidentally, i'm not at all clear on why i should trust *your* gut or be interested in its feelings more than, oh i don't know, abundant factual evidence.

but obviously you think your gut's got something important to say, so jump on in there. that's generally how things work on TF, although do bear in mind where the contents of the gut generally exit the body.

What evidence do you have about Obama. Anything good to say about him?

He's just another goon shouting for change while continuing the economic and military policies of the bush administration.

What evidence do you have about Obama. Anything good to say about him?

He's just another goon shouting for change while continuing the economic and military policies of the bush administration.

the question that *you* put on the table wasn't "is he good."

the question was "is he better than Bush."

there is considerable evidence he is better than Bush, starting with

1) his massive campaign, which if nothing else was extremely competent. the internet is chock full of resources documenting that campaign in excruciating detail; my opinion that he ran an extremely competent campaign is non-controversial (in the real world, as opposed to TF possibly). if there is one thing Bush is most known for (besides wanton invasions) it is his complete lack of competence. the bar isn't very high.

another testament to the effectiveness of his campaign: points on the scoreboard. he got a significantly higher percentage of the electrorate than Bush ever managed.

2) Obama's cabinet selections. love them or hate them Obama did something Bush didn't--chose his cabinet based on their competence, even where they are likely to disagree with him. Bush chose yes men. and if they didn't say yes they were shitcanned (Colin Powell for example).

3) Obama is already, as shadow-president, handling the economic meltdown more effectively than Bush, who is mailing it in and adrift. check, for example, what the markets did when he appointed his economic team. then look at what the market s do whenever Bush opens his mouth.

4) approval ratings: Obama: 75 percent or so .Bush: two flying shoes, the lowest aproval rating *ever.*

of course Obama's approval ratings will plummet once he's in office, and he may turn out to be absolutely ******* awful. however, "awful" is such a massive upgrade from Bush that being a better president than Bush is pretty easy. think of a godawful president. Carter, for example. or ford. or Herbert Hoover. They were all better than Bush.

your ominous proclamation that the 'real' Obama would likely be worse than Bush looks kinda like indigestion to me... but only because Bush set the bar as low as a bar could be set.