Atheists have their say

Treborz

Anyway i dont see a problem with this....the slogan uses the word "probably" so they are not forcing anything upon anyone. I guess it's kind of like the Carlsberg adverts.

The term 'probably' accounts for the remaining small statistical probability that there may be a higher being/power. In the absence of a 'god theory' one cannot prove 'its' non-existence, hence the remaining 'probably'. :wink:

Ohh, and by the way...atheism isn't a 'religion'. It just looks at the facts. So far there are no facts that point towards the existence of any higher power/being and given all the stuff we've dug up that hasn't been around for Millions of years and found out about our universe it is a pretty safe to deny any such being/power exists....in all probability.

8)

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Hobbes, you're right but you are also wrong in your argument. Atheism is not a religion, true, Atheism is the belief in No god. The religion is what follows that belief. Religion by definition is when a group of persons adhere to a particular set of beliefs and practices. Atheist believe there is no god and believe one should live their life as though there is no god, according to their own convictions; beliefs and practices, thus RELIGION. You will undoubtedly argue that those who believe in a god, are brainwashed and do not adhere to fact, but if you listen to the arguments, both sides actually do have factual evidence for their beliefs. Albert Einstein said "Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

Now for all you atheist that continue to "preach" that famous saying about more bad has come out of organized religion than good, please back your argument up....Organized religion does two things, Provide order and practices synergy. Organized religion is no different than a shrewdness of apes, a singular of boars, a rag of colts, or a pride of lions....Order must be established in every group for the continued existence of that Group. More good has come from organized religion than bad, but the media thrives on the negative aspect of things (catholic priest and kids, islamic extremes, etc etc etc...) you just don't hear about the good that are done on a daily basis, and the second reason is because you resent organized religion, that you choose not to see the amount of good positive thing that organized religion does. Sorry i was soooo long winded :-)

Ohh, and by the way...atheism isn't a 'religion'. It just looks at the facts. So far there are no facts that point towards the existence of any higher power/being and given all the stuff we've dug up that hasn't been around for Millions of years and found out about our universe it is a pretty safe to deny any such being/power exists....in all probability.

8)

And a lot of people say that religion is the cause of most wars...this is a fun one to argue as both sides *can* be right.

When it comes down to it, though, money and power are the cause of all wars. Religion is just used in the exact way you said, "to provide order." If the people aren't benefiting directly from the war, then we say that the Sun God has shown down upon us to band together and fight for the good cause (and we'll take their gold and other riches while we're there).

It provides people with a sense that they are doing these terrible things for a greater good. Since the religion card doesn't work so well anymore, we are now "spreading democracy" to other nations.

Hobbes, you're right but you are also wrong in your argument. Atheism is not a religion, true, Atheism is the belief in No god. The religion is what follows that belief. Religion by definition is when a group of persons adhere to a particular set of beliefs and practices. Atheist believe there is no god and believe one should live their life as though there is no god, according to their own convictions; beliefs and practices, thus RELIGION. You will undoubtedly argue that those who believe in a god, are brainwashed and do not adhere to fact, but if you listen to the arguments, both sides actually do have factual evidence for their beliefs. Albert Einstein said "Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

Now for all you atheist that continue to "preach" that famous saying about more bad has come out of organized religion than good, please back your argument up....Organized religion does two things, Provide order and practices synergy. Organized religion is no different than a shrewdness of apes, a singular of boars, a rag of colts, or a pride of lions....Order must be established in every group for the continued existence of that Group. More good has come from organized religion than bad, but the media thrives on the negative aspect of things (catholic priest and kids, islamic extremes, etc etc etc...) you just don't hear about the good that are done on a daily basis, and the second reason is because you resent organized religion, that you choose not to see the amount of good positive thing that organized religion does. Sorry i was soooo long winded :-)

Mate, sorry to do this to you on your first post, but what a lot of utter bollocks...

Firstly, just because a lot of atheists adhere to the same belief that there is NO God does not then make it a religion...

The very etymology of the word goes back to the Latin and refers to reverence for the Gods or for divine beings thus placing it diametrically opposite to those who declare themselves as atheist.

Secondly your defence of organised religion sounds like just so much regurgitated brainwashed twaddle. Lets look at Catholicism; a religion primarily founded to breathe new life into a dying Empire, based on lies and bigotry from its inception, and from the very first day more concerned about preserving and building male patriarchal power than any idea of unity and love. Look especially at the middle ages and beyond; a religion characterised (especially at its upper echelons) by corruption, greed, hate and almost constant war.

Then we have Islam; the current bad guy of world religions; again in essence an Abrahamic belief system, yet also a patriarchal power structure more bothered with the preservation of that power than a message of love.

I will concede that there is good done by those with beliefs and faith, but contrary to your arguments, it is more often done by individual components than by the structure as a whole.

Your comparisons to prides of lions etc and talk of the need for order is at best naive, at worst idiotic. Religion is about power and, as the saying goes, absolute power corrupts. When you recognise that the most basic tenets of world religions, especially Christianity, have been so misinterpreted, edited or constructed from nothing to reinforce the ideas of man rather than god, then you may be closer to escaping the brainwashing you have so obviously undergone...

OH YES, AND PLEASE TELL ME WHAT FACTUAL EVIDENCE THERE IS FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD?? BECAUSE I THINK I MISSED THAT ONE WHEN IT APPEARED ON THE NEWS!!!

Great first post !!!

OH YES, AND PLEASE TELL ME WHAT FACTUAL EVIDENCE THERE IS FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD?? BECAUSE I THINK I MISSED THAT ONE WHEN IT APPEARED ON THE NEWS!!!

whose fault is it you don't pay attention to the news, heathen?

My bad...

I will duly hang up my druid's sickle and demolish the wicker man I was building in my back garden...

I did once pebble dash my toilet bowl after a prticularly dodgy curry and the resulting splatter pattern was a perfect reproduction of the last supper...

:roll:

My bad...

I will duly hang up my druid's sickle and demolish the wicker man I was building in my back garden...

I did once pebble dash my toilet bowl after a prticularly dodgy curry and the resulting splatter pattern was a perfect reproduction of the last supper...

the Lord's message takes many forms, brother. can i get an amennnn-ah. [/rehearsal for future career as televangelist]

Is there a God? A topic discussed on this web site almost as often as shaven or unshaven. :shock: Some say there is no God. Others say there is a God.

Who's right? Nobody really knows, we're all guessing or hoping (or both). Everyone has their own opinion (just like we all have a*s*o*e*). The only fact: Nobocy can prove this one way or the other. You can not prove there is a God just like you can not prove there is not a god (don't give me the you can't prove a negative cr*p).

All that aside, why do people who do not believe almost always refer to it as God (capital G)? More strange, why do atheist say there 'probably' is not a God. 'Probably'? What hedging your bets just in case :roll:

My bad...

the Lord's message takes many forms, brother. can i get an amennnn-ah. [/rehearsal for future career as televangelist]

amennnnnnnnnnn-ah and hallelujah...

and anyway, what's all this talk about 'God'...what about Goddess??

:twisted:

Some ancient religious history most of you probably are now aware of :shock:

Several centuries ago, the Pope decreed that all the Jews had to leave Italy. There was, of course, a huge outcry from the Jewish community, so the Pope offered a deal. He would have a religious debate with a leader of the Jewish community. If the Jewish leader won the debate, the Jews would be permitted to stay in Italy. If the Pope won, the Jews would have to leave.

The Jewish community met and picked an aged Rabbi, Moishe, to represent them in the debate. Rabbi Moishe, however, could not speak Latin and the Pope could not speak Yiddish. So it was decided that this would be a "silent" debate.

On the day of the great debate, the Pope and Rabbi Moishe sat opposite each other for a full minute before the Pope raised his hand and showed three fingers.

Rabbi Moishe looked back and raised one finger.

Next, the Pope waved his finger around his head.

Rabbi Moishe pointed to the ground where he sat.

The Pope then brought out a communion wafer and chalice of wine.

Rabbi Moishe pulled out an apple. With that, the Pope stood up and said, "I concede the debate. This man has bested me. The Jews can stay."

Later, the Cardinals gathered around the Pope, asking him what had happened.

The Pope said, "First I held up three fingers to represent the Trinity. He responded by holding up one finger to remind me that there was still one God common to both our religions. Then I waved my finger around me to show him that God was all around us. He responded by pointing to the ground to show that God was also right here with us. I pulled out the wine and the wafer to show that God absolves us of our sins. He pulled out an apple to remind me of original sin. He had an answer for everything. What could I do?"

Meanwhile, the Jewish community crowded around Rabbi Moishe, asking what happened. "Well," said Moishe, "first he said to me, 'You Jews have three days to get out of here.' So I said to him, 'Up yours'. Then he tells me the whole city would be cleared of Jews. So I said to him, 'Listen here Mr. Pope, the Jews ... we stay right here!"

"And then?" asked a woman.

"Who knows?" said Rabbi Moishe. "We broke for lunch."

Is there a God? A topic discussed on this web site almost as often as shaven or unshaven. :shock: Some say there is no God. Others say there is a God.

Who's right? Nobody really knows, we're all guessing or hoping (or both). Everyone has their own opinion (just like we all have a*s*o*e*). The only fact: Nobocy can prove this one way or the other. You can not prove there is a God just like you can not prove there is not a god (don't give me the you can't prove a negative cr*p).

All that aside, why do people who do not believe almost always refer to it as God (capital G)? More strange, why do atheist say there 'probably' is not a God. 'Probably'? What hedging your bets just in case :roll:

u can't f**king prove there isn't a f**king massive teapot in the sky which is the fountain of all learning and wisdom .... but i ain't gonna start praying to it either !!!

if ppl r dumb enough to believe **** like the bible next thing we'll be believing iraq had WMD ... but surely nobody's that f**king stupid !!

u can't f**king prove there isn't a f**king massive teapot in the sky which is the fountain of all learning and wisdom .... but i ain't gonna start praying to it

either !!!

if ppl r dumb enough to believe sh*t like the bible next thing we'll be believing iraq had WMD ... but surely nobody's that f**king stupid !!

The flying teapot only appears in the sky occasionally and is manned by the pot head pixies from the planet Gong...so don't mock!!!

"High in the sky, what do you see ?

Come down to Earth, a cup of tea

Flying saucer, flying teacup

From outer space, Flying Teapot"

How bout doing this...How bout flipping the script and answering this question....Can i prove there is No God???? What factual proof do i have in saying there is no God????? I'm not talking about evolution or creationism, i'm talking about true tangible evidence....Does anyone have any true tangible evidence to prove there is No God????

How bout doing this...How bout flipping the script and answering this question....Can i prove there is No God???? What factual proof do i have in saying there is no God????? I'm not talking about evolution or creationism, i'm talking about true tangible evidence....Does anyone have any true tangible evidence to prove there is No God????

I have a dog...

can u prove there is no big flying f**king teapot ?? it's about as likely as ur god !!

u can't f**king prove there isn't a f**king massive teapot in the sky which is the fountain of all learning and wisdom .... but i ain't gonna start praying to it

either !!!

if ppl r dumb enough to believe sh*t like the bible next thing we'll be believing iraq had WMD ... but surely nobody's that f**king stupid !!

The flying teapot only appears in the sky occasionally and is manned by the pot head pixies from the planet Gong...so don't mock!!!

"High in the sky, what do you see ?

Come down to Earth, a cup of tea

Flying saucer, flying teacup

From outer space, Flying Teapot"

If you are going to believe in and worship something, then at least choose something actually exists...such as the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

http://www.venganza.org/about/open-letter/

All that aside, why do people who do not believe almost always refer to it as God (capital G)?

politeness. and to distinguish God from, say, Pallas Athene (a god) or Loki (a god).

The only fact: Nobocy can prove this one way or the other. More strange, why do atheist say there 'probably' is not a God. 'Probably'? What hedging your bets just in case :roll:

why? it's obvious.

or *should* be, if you bothered to use your brain AT ALL, especially considering you answered your damned question before you asked it. i'd have expected even the special needs class to figure out it has nothing to do with hedging bets.

congratulations! you've earned the

EPIC FAIL AWARD.

some day you *might* master the obvious. i won't hold my breath though.

edit: quote box hell.

can u prove there is no big flying f**king teapot ?? it's about as likely as ur god !!

No i can't prove it...Just like you cannot either....Everything is built on faith