USA - Scotland war???

Stramash

well, war of words anyway...

Clinton repeats Lockerbie stance

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has reiterated her opposition to the possible release of the Lockerbie bomber from prison in Scotland.

She said it would be "absolutely wrong" for the Scottish Government to release Abdelbaset Ali al-Megrahi or transfer him to jail in his homeland of Libya.

Megrahi, dying from terminal prostate cancer aged 57, dropped his second appeal against conviction on Tuesday.

Some 189 Americans were among the 270 people killed in the airliner bombing.

"I knew a lot of these families. I talked with them about what a horror they experienced," Mrs Clinton said.

"I just think it is absolutely wrong to release someone who has been imprisoned based on the evidence about his involvement in such a horrendous crime."

The BBC's Daniel Sandford in Washington called it "uncharacteristically undiplomatic language" from Mrs Clinton.

"The intense pressure on the Scottish justice secretary went up a further notch with this intervention from Hillary Clinton," he said.

Last week, Mrs Clinton personally expressed to Kenny MacAskill her view that the bomber should serve out his sentence in Scotland.

Scotland's Finance Secretary John Swinney said the justice secretary had gone to "significant lengths" to listen to everybody's opinion on the case.

He told BBC Radio Scotland: "He's obviously met with Mr Megrahi and he's listened to a whole range of different representations.

That's the right and the proper thing to do.

"Kenny MacAskill is now considering the details of all of those representations and the reports which he is required to take."

Mr MacAskill is due to decide within the next two weeks on an application for Megrahi's release on compassionate grounds, as well as a Libyan government request for a transfer to allow him to serve out his sentence in his homeland.

Earlier this week, a letter from seven US senators including Edward Kennedy and John Kerry urged Mr MacAskill to keep Megrahi behind bars.

Condition 'grave'

On Tuesday, judges at the High Court in Edinburgh who accepted Megrahi's application to drop his appeal were told Megrahi's health had recently worsened very considerably.

By dropping his appeal, Megrahi has removed one potential obstacle to his transfer to a jail in his homeland.

However, a Crown appeal against the length of his sentence is still ongoing.

Scotland's top prosecutor, Lord Advocate Elish Angiolini, will now have to consider whether that should also be dropped.

Megrahi is serving a life sentence of at least 27 years following his 2001 conviction for the bombing of Pan Am flight 103 in 1988.

(http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8208755.stm)

So, should Megrahi be released? Given that he has a very short time to live, and also given the many suspicions that he was scapegoated for the bombing?

While I appreciate the emotions that must be felt by any of the relatives of the victims, I have noticed that many relatives have not only consistently questioned his conviction, but have supported the idea of his release.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's on, Iain!!

:twisted:

After I win this war, I will eliminate the second "I" in your name.

After YOU win???

We have a secret weapon - Buckfast. Fuelled on this, our army of expendable neds will overrun your horrified troops, and once more proper spelling will be introduced to you Yanks!!! :lol::lol::lol:

But seriously...as an American, what are your views on his possible release. (remembering that it is not a release per se, but a transfer to a Libyan prison, and that at best, he has months to live.

But seriously...as an American, what are your views on his possible release. (remembering that it is not a release per se, but a transfer to a Libyan prison, and that at best, he has months to live.

My personal opinion is that he should serve is term in Scotland. Any mass murderer should never be given any sort of special treatment. Period.

I agree.

27 years wasn't enough for this terrorist in the first place.

His crime remains the same, his punishment should remain the same.

The fact that he got sick has no bearing on the facts.

Why do sick criminals deserve more lenient sentences than healthy ones?

And how red will faces be if the guy DOESN'T die in a few months, but goes on to continue a long and evil life?

Also surely a terrorist with terminal cancer is EXACTLY the right candidate for a huge suicide mission?

Leave him inside, let him rot.

Im joining the Yanks on this one :shock:

If he is guilty then he should stay in jail and be malkied and rodgered by all who are that way inclined, and then passed around again for seconds......... He showed **** all sympathy when he blew hundreds of people out of the sky and should not be shown any leniency on his sentence.

I only wish hed been given the death sentence when found guilty and not been a burden on you UK tax payers for his years being wined and dined by Her Majestys Service!!

yah let him goooo... didn't we install some missile shield in Europe that will accidentally blow up his plane and a few key points in Scotland...?

heading for a one way gulag trip mofo... :evil:

but back on topic;

my main concern is that there have always been elements of doubt as to his guilt or to the level of his involvement. The suggestion that he has been a convenient scapegoat to allow the media fed millions to focus their hate on and to allow the gradual reintroduction of Libya to the international community has been much discussed.

I don't think there is any doubt as to the severity of his condition and, as such, I would support him being allowed to return to Libya...

BUT, only if assurances were made, and checks carried out, to ensure that, once in Libya, he spent the rest of this time in a prison hospital, so at least to be near his family.

I would point out that prisoner transfers between countries are a common occurrence, and the Western media are quick to campaign for the return of their own natives when incarcerated in other countries to serve their sentences there.

good points, well made.

the poor chap is on a bus to prestwick as i write this.

may allah bless his soul.

you were jumping the gun a bit there!!

McCaskill just announced live that Megrahi is released on compassionate grounds.

Know many will be unhappy but bet there are some in the CIA and FBI breathing s sigh of relief that no more questions will be asked in court...

I won't say much about this.... but look at this video..pictures always say a thousand words. it appears to me as if this guy is getting a hero's welcome am I interpreting this video the wrong way?.....just think of a family member watching this of someone that was on the plane that went down and they watch this video.. I wonder how this video is making them feel right now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1km46DKvF8Q

I won't say much about this.... but look at this video..pictures always say a thousand words. it appears to me as if this guy is getting a hero's welcome am I interpreting this video the wrong way?.....just think of a family member watching this of someone that was on the plane that went down and they watch this video.. I wonder how this video is making them feel right now?

Just one more distraction while we are all getting manipulated and ripped off by the slimes that be........

Agree totally GK - a 'hero's' welcome sends out the wrong message, though I can see the reason for that reaction if, and I emphasise if, he was/is innocent.

There are still far too many questions over Lockerbie - there was definitely some FBI and CIA involvement as far as the dubious evidence was concerned, and many fingers point towards Iran and/or an extremist Palestinian group as being the true perpetrators.

A prisoner transfer would have been the best option, and then those scenes would not have happened, but thanks to Westminster, that was not an option, as transfers of that type are negotiated on a UK basis rather than by any of the devolved powers, and they f*cked it up!

Lets get this in perspective - he was released to die.

He is most probably innocent, it was the Iranians that organised this slaughter. Not Libya. He was a scapegoat. He had an appeal coming up and it was to avoid this he was released. This was a revenge attack for America blowing up an Iranian civilian airline. Ummm remember that anyone ?? 200+ deaths.

The appeal would have been 'messy' for the UK and America. Thats why he was released - to avoid this.

At the end of the day. America detains people without trial and tortures them - Guantanamo Bay. So **** off, telling us in the real free world what to do.