What's Katoey all about?

kyotokoala

klong means 'canal' not 'river'.

And katoey and klong toey are two completely different words.

That's like an English student asking if 'banking' means 'to forbid a monarch'.

'Katoey' is the slightly derogatory name for transexuals, transgenders and transvestites. The more polite name is 'sao praphet song' (ÊÒÇ»ÃÃàÀ·Êç) which means 'second type of girl'.

The word 'katoey' (¡Ãà·Â) means 'seedless' as in the phrase ÅÓä¡Ãà·Â which is a seedless longan.

klong

'Katoey' is the slightly derogatory name for transexuals, transgenders and transvestites. The more polite name is 'sao praphet song' (ÊÒÇ»ÃÃàÀ·Êç) which means 'second type of girl'.

both words are written differently pronounce differently and have different meanings.

T = µ

T = ·/¸

Side note, the word 'Katoey' will sometime in the future be no longer be called for specifically in transsexuals women, aside from effeminate boys and male who enjoys occasionally female clothings. As it would be equivalent to the N. word in western world. Even the world 'sao praphet song' does not cut it, and it might sound better, but it has become mediocre term used in condecending senses.

If you keep up-to-date with news, 'phu-ying kham phed' (¼ÙéË­Ô§¢éÒÃà¾È) (transwoman) and 'phu-chai kham phed' for (transmen), are now the endearing new terms preferred using for the specific group.

just want to put it out there.

Side note, the word 'Katoey' will sometime in the future be no longer be called for specifically in transsexuals women, aside from effeminate boys and male who enjoys occasionally female clothings. As it would be equivalent to the N. word in western world. Even the world 'sao praphet song' does not cut it, and it might sound better, but it has become mediocre term used in condecending senses.

If you keep up-to-date with news, 'phu-ying kham phed' (¼ÙéË­Ô§¢éÒÃà¾È) (transwoman) and 'phu-chai kham phed' for (transmen), are now the endearing new terms preferred using for the specific group.

i had been told "katoey" was considered impolite/rude .... is "ladyboy" an acceptable word to use or is it also considered offensive ??

both words are written differently pronounce differently and have different meanings.

T = µ

T = ·/¸

Thanks Tonia... how about 'T-girl'? I remember you mentioned this to me a few years ago.

Who is described by this term ¼ÙéË­Ô§¢éÒÃà¾È ? Is that for people born as men who want to be women? Or vice versa?

What are your feelings about the way ¼ÙéË­Ô§¢éÒÃà¾È are portrayed in Thai culture and treated in Thai society? I notice that it is no longer considered a 'mental illness' by the army anymore! Hooray for progress, huh?

i had been told "katoey" was considered impolite/rude .... is "ladyboy" an acceptable word to use or is it also considered offensive ??

Since when did you care about offending anyone ? or are u just trying to find out the right things to say for when you disappear to obsessions every Friday night !!

Who is described by this term ¼ÙéË­Ô§¢éÒÃà¾È ? Is that for people born as men who want to be women? Or vice versa?

What are your feelings about the way ¼ÙéË­Ô§¢éÒÃà¾È are portrayed in Thai culture and treated in Thai society? I notice that it is no longer considered a 'mental illness' by the army anymore! Hooray for progress, huh?

There's a support group formed by Thai transwomen called '¼ÙéË­Ô§¢éÒÃà¾ÈáË觻ÃÃà·Èä·Â' as an organization in helping understand, support and achieve in equality for the group in Thai society. Nok Yollada Klurkkong is a spoke person as she is often on the news. Their current project is dealing with Thai ministry of education and ministry of health as they are helping transwomen FTM students to be able to wear female clothing at their graduation ceremony. Trans students have always been absurdly strict ordered by universities to revert male uniform at graduation against their will by tradition, this too will change.

As for myself, I've never been to my first university graduation by choice.

klong

T = µ

T = ·/¸

You are on the ball SB :D

I actually meant the word "Toey"

Like Klong "Toey" or Ka "Toey"

The word Toey by itself. What is the actual meaning?

@Bob - That's right, Canal :roll:

Toey or Toei is a bastardisation of the Thai word dteeuy - meaning Pandan (leaf) which grew along the shores of the canal decades ago - around the same time the first gender realignment surgeries were being conducted in Bangkok. In those first experiments, the new falice would often turn green and limp, taking on a reed-like appearance. Hence the word 'ka-toey'.

Katoey is abit rude ..

Ladyboy is kind of cute..

If we imagine to call someone ladyboy.. is like..

"A little asian small ladyboy with curve and shape.. more girly like.."

The word "Trans" is more like any guys who want to be girls

They dont need to have the body like girls.. but they want to be girl..

I've seen a European (nearly) bodybuilder ladyboy.. :shock: Speechless..

I didnt look up in any dictionary... but just try to conclude that from my experience..

Toey or Toei is a bastardisation of the Thai word dteeuy - meaning Pandan (leaf) which grew along the shores of the canal decades ago - around the same time the first gender realignment surgeries were being conducted in Bangkok. In those first experiments, the new falice would often turn green and limp, taking on a reed-like appearance. Hence the word 'ka-toey'.

That doesn't make sense. Usually Katoy refers to a male trying to become female.

The process involves removing a penis, not getting a new one. I thought that most trans-gender surgeries are male to female not the other way around.

Are you sure about this?

great stuff Jay.. That clears the entire wording up..

In the case of "Katoey", I guess the 'Ka' means women?

Isn't that why Thai women say ka and the men say kup (krub)?